• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Lancer EX Running Repairs and Maintenance

trinity

Hi Everyone,

Thought to start this topic to keep a record on maintenance and repairs if any. The car referred here is my Lancer EX (for those who don't know) and the details of it could be found here.

I bought the car just about an year ago with a mileage of 108000kms on it clock. Car had all following things done at 94000kms when I bought it.

1.Replaced all four shocks and dampers.

2.Engine Tuneup plus new plug set.

3.Alternator Belt replaced.

4.New tires installed.

5.New Battery installed.

6.Fron RHD bearing replaced.

7.Auto Gear Oil Changed.

All the above except for the battery had been done at the agent (Unit#d Mot#rs). 

When I bought the car, I didn't have anything to do actually. Feel lucky about this and thankful to the previous owner. (Maybe a merit of selling my previous car in the same condition)

Anyways, I'll list down the repairs/maintenance the car underwent during my ownership along with the details of pricing and all. All you guys of the Lancer EX Auto Lanka fraternity, please feel free to use this thread to share details of repairs & running maintenance of your cars as well. 

• Like 7

1.Front CV Axle boot replacement. (January 2019)

So this was the first thing I had to do as a repair. I noticed CV boot is leaking during a regular service and immediately arranged to have it replaced. Unfortunately I've deleted the photos of the leaking boot which I've taken back then. 

Anyways, I wanted to get it replaced at the agent but to my surprise they didn't have the part with them. Asked me to wait about 3 weeks if I wanted it imported from Japan. Since waiting that long could cause serious issues to the CV joint (as the car is a daily runner) I Opted to go for a Taiwanese import boot. 

Got the repair done at Auto Box union place. 

Cost for the boot - Rs.1,850/-

Labour - 1,100/-

Wheel Alignment 2,250/-

Got all done within an hour as they were quick bringing down the part and they did the alignment in-house as well.

That was an easy fix :) .

• Like 1

2.AC Cooler Replacement. (June 2019)

I'm a huge AC addict. My CS Lancer was having super cool AC and in fact I've rarely seen a car that support that much cool. You just can't run it with dial turned to the lowest temp for more than 10 minutes as you would freeze to death inside the car. Ever since I bought the EX I had this lack of cooling inside the car which was bugging me a lot. It took time to cool the cabin to a decent extent and I was partly blaming the faded tint for it.

One day it was jut blowing hot air and it happened in a bit of a troublesome time as my mom was hospitalised at that time. So I went to my trusted AC workshop (Himara Engineering - Panadura) and re-gassed and drove away happily. Ran the car like that for couple of moths and I noticed the lack of cool again. So during a drive by, I stopped at the AC Workshop and asked them to do a refill again. Having known me for a long time the owner of the shop refused to do that and blamed me for running with an AC gas leak. He further stressed that with gas, the oil also leaks from the compressor eventually causing a busted compressor as well. 

So that was enough for me to realise to cost that I'm gonna have to incur if I was to continue to drive like that. So on the next weekend I went to the workshop to get this checked. Actually first I was in two minds as to where I was gonna get this done as I knew that entire interior required to be removed to check the cooler. Not that Himara Engineering was bad but this was my new car. But having seen the vehicles they do repairs and knowing the workers standards I went there finally.

So as anticipated they started removing the interior bits one by one, at the end it was like a gutted animal carcass. 

IMG_9716.thumb.jpeg.35adc3a416da3c8b342db62469a0f010.jpegIMG_9718.thumb.jpeg.688fd1aa795c805f53be37ca21fdd08b.jpeg

Here are few phots for you to see how it was.. (Im having trouble getting these phots correctly oriented, could some admin please correct these)

IMG_9713.jpeg

Edited by trinity
  • Like 1

Anyhow, after all that trouble and a full day got it fixed. The issue was the cooler which had a small leak. Replaced it with again a Taiwanese one. IMG_9721.thumb.jpeg.3762de71d6e6ca08e2e1b6e3fa168bf6.jpeg

IMG_9722.thumb.jpeg.9c190b986b84cd167b57f7acdbe3ccc0.jpeg

Total Cost for the repair was Rs.25,000/-

15k for the part and 10 k for the gas and labour.

After this, cooling got improved drastically but I must say CS was better..

• Like 1

Nice one, T!

About the AC, did you try replacing the cabin filter? UNIMO guys often overlook replacing it. I haven't even set the AC on the lowest setting because it gets too cold (I have clear tint (CR70 I think) on the windscreen and normal tint on others, not sure if that helps)

3. Gear Oil Change and Tuneup (December 2019)

So by first week of December 2019, the car had reached the mileage of 134,000kms. Which means it was the time for me to change the gear oil and get the tuneup done. The recommended interval for the tuneup is every 20k kms however.

Though company records I got to know that the petrol filter of the car had not been changed until now. So I had to change it as well. The recommended interval to change the filter is every 60k kms.

I bought the parts and oil from Unit#d Mot#rs and got the job done at my trusted mechanics place as doing this at the company going to cost me my both nuts. Parts alone cost me just over 42k.

Following are the details of the parts and Prices.

Filter kit Part No - 1770A270  Price - Rs.28,552.17

Injector O rings (8Nos) Part Numbers - 1465A308 & 1465A094 (4 from each) Total Price - Rs4,646.96

ATF - Mitsubishi  Diaqueen ATF SP3 5L Price Rs.8,252.15

The prices above are excluding the VAT.

New patrol filter unit

IMG_1152.thumb.jpeg.f80a87febce7a1cc58a2775623a6ed8d.jpeg

IMG_1153.thumb.jpeg.d150e574985ca4a46567eec873548f7d.jpeg

The filter consists of two filtering units. One is cylindrical part which you can seen in the first photo above and the second one is somewhat looks like a weird shaped tea bag. You can see it in the second photo. 

IMG_1150.thumb.jpeg.401268a44145a25ae1ffe37c3f5c499b.jpeg

That's the bottom of the fuel filter. You can see the dirt which the 95 Octane petrol carry.  

IMG_1154.thumb.jpeg.cd03baa63d7ab40803abd092e96413e0.jpeg

Thats above is the secondary filter which I referred as the tea bag. 

IMG_1151.thumb.jpeg.44ed4b7826d03bb581b0d5780b9e72f8.jpeg

This is the removed cylindrical filter unit.

• Like 1

Continue from the last post.. 

Tuneup.

The injectors were removed and throughy cleaned, Throttle body cleaned and MAP sensor was also cleaned.

Here are few photos of the injectors before and half way through cleaning.

IMG_1160.thumb.jpeg.d786e53ebcf8b43d94802a977ccc7d39.jpeg

The bottom one is an uncleaned one. 

The O Rings were burnt to crisp as last time they have not been replaced (Surprising as the last tuneup had been done at the agent).

IMG_1155.thumb.jpeg.733aec634bee5d8e0fa9f925dadff0ff.jpeg

IMG_1156.thumb.jpeg.32aa0d0f67746b20274ac2a1f261026c.jpeg

Below is a new O ring.

1826082290_Screenshot2019-12-09at13_39_35.png.f4fbceedbf63488a670f8440170b6ef7.png

Don't have any photos of the oil change. After the tuneup car responds better and does bit more fuel as well.

23 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

Nice one, T!

About the AC, did you try replacing the cabin filter? UNIMO guys often overlook replacing it. I haven't even set the AC on the lowest setting because it gets too cold (I have clear tint (CR70 I think) on the windscreen and normal tint on others, not sure if that helps)

Actually no machang, At the time the AC repair was done, they said the filter was ok. I too checked it and saw that its in good condition. After the AC Repair, I had all windows tinted with 3M except for the front windshield. So cabin doesn't get much heated through windows. The cooling inside is ok but CS had a better cooling than the EX. This doesn't mean that EX is having a bad AC system, but that CS was like a freezer. Anyways im happy with present AC performance. But I'll get the filter changed soon as I feel like its high time now for that as well.

3 hours ago, trinity said:

But I'll get the filter changed soon as I feel like its high time now for that as well.

I got one down from eBay , OEM fiter available at the company was made in 2015 (replaced mine in 2017) cost me around 6k with shipping. Made in Germany, shipped from UK

https://imgur.com/a/iTu8SBV

Edited by Hyaenidae

3 hours ago, hrm said:

Isn't AC cooler located near passenger foot well in EX? When I replaced cooler in my car they just removed the glove box and some bits surrounding it and replaced the cooler.

No, in the EX it’s located to the dead center of the dashboard and mounted towards the firewall. In the CS Lancer though what you said is possible. That was how the cooler was removed from the CS when I had to replace it back in the day. What I’ve seen is the in most never cars they remove the entire dashboard to access the cooler. That’s common irrespective of the manufacturer.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, trinity said:

Actually no machang, At the time the AC repair was done, they said the filter was ok. I too checked it and saw that its in good condition. After the AC Repair, I had all windows tinted with 3M except for the front windshield. So cabin doesn't get much heated through windows. The cooling inside is ok but CS had a better cooling than the EX. This doesn't mean that EX is having a bad AC system, but that CS was like a freezer. Anyways im happy with present AC performance. But I'll get the filter changed soon as I feel like its high time now for that as well.

May I ask you how much you spent for the 3M tint?

This was some time ago, the car was about 3yr old when this happened:

XnVwiw6.jpg

LkUKDkq.jpg

When rear brake drums were removed at the routine sevice it was revealed that one wheel cylinder has developed a minute leak from a rubber boot. UNIMO guys assured that it is negligible but I decided to get it fixed before the leak gets worse. Both rubber boot kits (left and right wheels) were replaced.

qEcFlOf.jpg

Part: CUP+BOOT KIT, RR BRAKE CYL

Part number: 4610A078

Labor Cost:

UwakCy9.jpg

Part Cost: (2 boot kits)

EYtw79T.jpg

Total : Rs. 6106.00

Both brake cylinders were bone dry on the last routine service (4th service since the repair) so the repair was a success ?

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Like 2

On 12/9/2019 at 1:30 PM, trinity said:

IMG_1152.thumb.jpeg.f80a87febce7a1cc58a2775623a6ed8d.jpeg

@trinityMany thanks for the update Machan. This is a pending job for me. ?

6 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

This was some time ago, the car was about 3yr old when this happened:

XnVwiw6.jpg

Lucky I got this issue after 11 years in my CS. Same part number use for CS as well.1724572313_lancer1.jpg.cfebdcbb51bbc016ad100a4ef0e48fd4.jpg

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sampath Gunasekera said:

Lucky I got this issue after 11 years in my CS. Same part number use for CS as well.1724572313_lancer1.jpg.cfebdcbb51bbc016ad100a4ef0e48fd4.jpg

It was your ownership thread which made me get the repair done post-haste; especially this post made by @Davy. UNIMO people didn't even notify me about the leak until I noticed it and asked about it myself. They were in the opinion that a minute leak like that doesn't warrant a repair.

• Like 1

Helpful info gents. 

4 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

It was your ownership thread which made me get the repair done post-haste; especially this post made by @Davy. UNIMO people didn't even notify me about the leak until I noticed it and asked about it myself. They were in the opinion that a minute leak like that doesn't warrant a repair.

It's good that you got it fixed at its early stages. Although a minute leak, brake oil is highly corrosive and will rust up all those shiny return springs and the handbrake mechanism if the oil kept on leaking. You can see how much surface rust has developed on the brake cylinder from this tiny amount of oil. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, is there a CY owner (AT) among us who got his transmission fluid replaced? 

Just look where the transmission fluid pan and the filter is... 

izq9MVz.png

IDK much about transmissions TBH but it looks like the oil pan (26134) is mounted sideways instead of underneath the transmission assembly like other cars isn't it? Am I reading this wrong? And it looks like the torque converter housing has to be removed to access the transmission fluid filter...? (28020)

Here's the link where I got the illustration from:

https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine/parts?c=Mitsubishi&ssd=%24*KwGRpbS6l-Xp8fHW_-Cyrcnd_frklZqXloSCjcvi3obAgJ-H2LbQk5T8lZOV5IXW1MrOgJ-EgeH8lrvWxIOAxsiBmIWFqaa78-6Tht4AAAAAI4uHIg%24&vid=0&gid=458&q=

Edited by Hyaenidae

1 hour ago, Hyaenidae said:

Guys, is there a CY owner (AT) among us who got his transmission fluid replaced? 

izq9MVz.png

IDK much about transmissions TBH but it looks like the oil pan (26134) is mounted sideways instead of underneath the transmission assembly like other cars isn't it? Am I reading this wrong? And it looks like the torque converter housing has to be removed to access the transmission fluid filter...? (28020)

https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine/parts?c=Mitsubishi&ssd=%24*KwGRpbS6l-Xp8fHW_-Cyrcnd_frklZqXloSCjcvi3obAgJ-H2LbQk5T8lZOV5IXW1MrOgJ-EgeH8lrvWxIOAxsiBmIWFqaa78-6Tht4AAAAAI4uHIg%24&vid=0&gid=458&q=

Unfortunetly. btw, it's not neccessary to change the filter this time :)

image.png.56b7028521853153ea38b4d0be89b8e1.png

image.thumb.png.2298ec70fbfcbeede5d246482eb876a2.png

• Thanks 1

So, did some digging and this is what I found.

Mitsubishi "F4A4" series of transmissions date back to 1996. This transmission has been used in many Mitsubishi models: FTO, Eclipse Spyder, Magna, Galant, Lancer, Space runner/Space star, Mirage, Carisma, Chariot Grandis, RVR, Pajero IO, Outlander, ASX, etc. Some Kia/Hyundai/Proton models and Chinese vehicle brands share this transmission and it's still being produced.

Until 1999, F4A4 transmissions had 2 transmission fluid filters, an internal one and an external one; Mitsubishi reckoned that the "internal filter is just as good alone by itself" :D and got rid of the external transmission fluid filter.  

So the automatic Lancers don't have an external transmission fluid filter like most cars do. I'm not sure about CVT ones.

Edited by Hyaenidae

10 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

izq9MVz.png

I got it changed. Its stated in this post. It was a fairy easy job. They remove the left side fog lamp and access the oil pan from there to drain out the oil. Thereafter refill from the top. Oil filter was not changed. In fact it was not even discussed. I think it is not required to change the filter or there is a huge time interval to change it. Let me check and update you. I vaguely remember this was discussed at @Sampath Gunasekeras Lancer topic as well.

• Thanks 1