• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car to do 3000km+/month, under 2M

iRu

Question

11 answers to this question

Hmmmm......the issue is for that budget you are looking at really old cars. Reliability of old cars is purely dependent on how well it has been taken care of. With cars within your budget it is hard to say because they are so old. Old Corollas and Laners are solidly built cars but how reliable they are now depends on past ownership/maintenance history. Note I did not mention Sunny because the B14 Sunny is built using superglue and rubber bands...

What you should plan on doing..I believe...is get a E90/E100/E110 series Corolla or something like a CB series Lancer....I believe market price for those go for around 1.2 - 1.6mil. Try to get it for as low as possible..and then with the remainder of your 2mil budget...build the car with proper parts...ancilliaries like alternator, compressors, suspension bushes, shocks, electricals, etc....(for engine blocks of these cars...200,000+ km is nothing as long as it has been taken care of properly...but you are not going to find an honest car in SL). 

I think if you can stretch your budget a little bit more you might be able to find a decent CS series Lancer as well.

Are you looking at Petrol or Diesel ? 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, iRu said:

Thank very much for your detailed answer. I am looking for a petrol. Is that CS Series lancers can do good on my aspects?.. (3000+ per month) (fuel economy average is accepted because have a fuel allowance of 30k.)

Again....my point was whether the car can do 3000+ k a month is dependent on the car you are looking at and how well it has been taken care of. Either way...you need to be prepared to do some regular preemptive repairs.

• Like 1

I have a similar question.

With a change in my job location i have to travel 4000+km now. 

So considerimg buying another car for less than 3 million for the traveling.

1. Should do a lot on fuel the illusive 18 - 20 kmpl.

2. Sould be cheap to maintain.

3. Shouldnt break down in the middle of the road. Sometimes travel at night. 

4. Need to do this heavy running for around 2 years afterwards i dont mind a small losscome resale.

5. Should be comfortable and safe.

Most of the traveling is in the highway 

My options are the 

1. Prius 2009 3rd gen 

+Good on fuel  - battery issues 

2. Corrola diesel 2008 manual 

+ economical diesel better than hybrids in motorways easy to maintain 2c engine 

- MANUAL. no cruise control for highways. Primitive (Fred Flinstone had one )

3. Fit gp5 2014 L

+ Newer vehicle

-Less economical than prius. Small car less safe. Dual cluch issues.

4. Fiat linia 

+ Cheap to buy. Nice uncommon vehicle. Great on fuel.

- no agent. Nightmare to maintain. Manual. No resale market.

5. Suzuki ciaz diesel. 

Dont know a nut or bolt about this car.

Your openions please 

15 hours ago, Clark'sson said:

4. Need to do this heavy running for around 2 years afterwards i dont mind a small losscome resale.

My options are the 

1. Prius 2009 3rd gen 

2. Corrola diesel 2008 manual 

+ economical diesel better than hybrids in motorways easy to maintain 2c engine 

- MANUAL. no cruise control for highways. Primitive (Fred Flinstone had one )

3. Fit gp5 2014 L

+ Newer vehicle

-Less economical than prius. Small car less safe. Dual cluch issues.

4. Fiat linia 

+ Cheap to buy. Nice uncommon vehicle. Great on fuel.

- no agent. Nightmare to maintain. Manual. No resale market.

5. Suzuki ciaz diesel. 

Dont know a nut or bolt about this car.

Your openions please 

If you want this kind of economy look at less than Rs. 3.0 Mn. only option i could think of would be Kei cars like a Stingray or a N Wagon with cruise control. If most of the running is on highway this should be reasonably safe as the likelihood of a head on with a bus or lorry will be rare.

You will need to be careful as the car handling will have limitations at high speeds.

Other option would be Kia Picanto, no cruise control though, has transferable 5 year 100,000km warrenty

4 hours ago, kush said:

If you want this kind of economy look at less than Rs. 3.0 Mn. only option i could think of would be Kei cars like a Stingray or a N Wagon with cruise control. If most of the running is on highway this should be reasonably safe as the likelihood of a head on with a bus or lorry will be rare.

You will need to be careful as the car handling will have limitations at high speeds.

Other option would be Kia Picanto, no cruise control though, has transferable 5 year 100,000km warrenty

Kei cars and the picanto are a defenete no no ? 

It should atleast be a sedan even a little old as long as its reliable as you see in the list.

And those 660cc cars although economical in the city will not do well in highway speeds of 100 -120 kmph. Afterall the meter only goes upto 140 in some of them.

And driving one at that speed will be horrifying.

So they are out of the list. Even the vitz is also too small.

FIY im a little bit of a large guy

1 hour ago, Clark'sson said:

Kei cars and the picanto are a defenete no no ? 

It should atleast be a sedan even a little old as long as its reliable as you see in the list.

And those 660cc cars although economical in the city will not do well in highway speeds of 100 -120 kmph. Afterall the meter only goes upto 140 in some of them.

And driving one at that speed will be horrifying.

So they are out of the list. Even the vitz is also too small.

FIY im a little bit of a large guy

Fit GP5 will be the best choice finding a good one for less than Rs. 3.0 Mn. would be a issue. DCT will not be an issue if driven in highway, but the wear already taken place with the current owner may have an effect. You could also look at the GP1/ Honda City/Toyota Yaris

21 hours ago, Clark'sson said:

My options are the 

1. Prius 2009 3rd gen 

For 4000+ km per month, the battery will be paid off by fuel during 2 years

image.png.16446b4c56995572efab5e74f9922f3e.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kush said:

Fit GP5 will be the best choice finding a good one for less than Rs. 3.0 Mn. would be a issue. DCT will not be an issue if driven in highway, but the wear already taken place with the current owner may have an effect. You could also look at the GP1/ Honda City/Toyota Yaris

City and Yaris will not do that much on fuel.

Some real world highway figures from the GP5, Prius 3rd gen and 141 diesel if you know of them.

16 hours ago, Clark'sson said:

City and Yaris will not do that much on fuel.

Some real world highway figures from the GP5, Prius 3rd gen and 141 diesel if you know of them.

My GP5 did over 20kmpl on highway @ 100kmph in cruse control

CE100 Sprinter manual with similar 2C engine did 16-18 kmpl on outstation on long trips (no highways at the time), Caldina auto with 2C did 14-16kmpl on similar conditions.

• Thanks 1