• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Why Honda?

Klord

Why does Honda specific forum has more inputs than other makes? Sri Lanka is a country where even a jack fruit can be sold for a million if it has a Toyota badge. But there is a 6k post difference  between Honda & next best (Toyota).

Is it because Honda gives more trouble? So people are trying to find answers. Is it because many Sri Lankan car enthusiasts own Hondas? Or what? 

Trying to fulfill my curiosity, as I am not a veteran forum member. ?

image.thumb.png.f1a3e7bece1e81e55999fdfc9d7a183e.png

Nah.

The Lancer is one of the most discussed cars in the forum; possibly the most discussed car. That doesn't mean the Lancer gives more trouble; it's because almost every member of the forum is fond of it. Take a look at my profile ("General comments" section) to see what one of the top contributors of the forum, @iRage, had to say about Mitsus. (Edit: I stole it without your permission, sorry mate, but your words hit right in the feels)

I'm fairly certain that's the same case with Hondas. 

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Like 2

Toyota are for people who loves Pathola

Honda/ Mitsu for people with better taste and bit more adventures in food

People with Toyota have no time to spend sharing information in forums and they do not have much to share either.

But there are few exceptional Toyotas that are as fun as any Honda or Mitsu

• Haha 2

Toyota is the automotive equivalent of a Bosch fridge. Cold, uninspiring and guaranteed never to go wrong (if maintained properly). Most owners probably are just as cold and uninspiring and there is nothing much to discuss as things hardly go wrong.

More Toyotas' on the road -> More garages to fix them + easier to get parts + easier to find used ones to buy = less queries here

As for Hondas, the high number of wannabe ricers might be a issue. Also they ruin good cars so bad the next owners get a whole lot of stuff to ask around here. Nothing inherently wrong with the vehicles.

Well...threads like the Integra build could explain why there are so many Honda posts. Also...there is a trend...if you look at Honda or Mitsubishi threads the discussions are more car orientated so we do end up talking a lot on those threads.. Only a few Nissan or Toyota ones are like that...most Toyota/Nissan threads are about what are the different grades, my 15 year old 60,000km pearl white Corolla is making taka taka noise...or what Toyota can I buy for Xmil LKR....look at the most active thread right now....it is the Raize...and we are talking about it for all the dumb reasons....not the tech......not the design....not the performance...just how dumb some people are to think this is a replacement for the CHR/VItara/Allion and if it can be a replacement for one.

On 12/6/2019 at 11:22 PM, Hyaenidae said:

Nah.

The Lancer is one of the most discussed cars in the forum; possibly the most discussed car. That doesn't mean the Lancer gives more trouble; it's because almost every member of the forum is fond of it. Take a look at my profile ("General comments" section) to see what one of the top contributors of the forum, @iRage, had to say about Mitsus. (Edit: I stole it without your permission, sorry mate, but your words hit right in the feels)

I'm fairly certain that's the same case with Hondas. 

Ha ha ha.....I never noticed....I will have to start charging you a royalty fee if you get famous and start making money off of it or through its association to you :)

• Haha 1

As everyone has summed up here. I'm just gonna add this:

In my life, alot of people who drive a modern Toyota are boring. They are the sort of chaps who go "son, stop blabbering about cars..god will provide, you go study hard" during weddings and reunions. They are the first to discuss politics & finances in any conversation and when asked on why they chose a toyota, they look at you as if you asked them permission to shoot their pet dog and then go on to blabber about "fuel economy, resale, higher studies, government conspiracy theories, diabetes, etc.."

(People who are excluded are those who are stuck with it due to financial/other reasons. Also Starlets/Old toyotas are more involving to drive)

Honda drivers though, they be a funny species. Socially they may be unique one way or another and not everyone will like them, but they are active, are involved with trends & can be open minded. Who else would readily & knowingly buy a car that has a potential gearbox issue which costs a few hundred thousands for the sake of it? 

P.S: All cars are good in one aspect or another so please don't stab me.

Edited by □AVANTE□
Grammar
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, □AVANTE□ said:

As everyone has summed up here. I'm just gonna add this:

In my life, alot of people who drive a modern Toyota are boring.

To be honest my Toyota SUVs (In US) are pretty boring on highway but a blast in off-road. As for US market the fun Toyota's are having Subaru engine (GT86) and BMW engine (2020 Supra). :D

On a side note I'm not very happy both Toyota and Honda using 3 cyl engines, small displacement turbo engines & CVTs. As for Toyota's many do not know some of the Toyota badged vehicle have a Daihatsu engine right? Not sure how they can be compete with Toyota engines. As for Honda here in US they have some reliability issues lately probably due to the engines and transmission made in US and not from Japan.   

4R.jpg

@kmeegOff roading is fun in any capable 4x4! You don't mind a dull engine note, lack of sport mode, soft steering, beige interior, or body roll when off roading because the fun is in tackling the obstacles and finding new roads. Also, that's a nice pic of you & your 4Runner!

Edited by □AVANTE□

9 hours ago, □AVANTE□ said:

(People who are excluded are those who are stuck with it due to financial/other reasons. Also Starlets/Old toyotas are more involving to drive)

There are pretty engaging modern Toyotas as well...it is just that they hardly come to SL because of our fuel efficiency syndrome. Also, because of the import tax structure these cars become so expensive that for enthusiasts there are plenty of other options that are more sensible.

8 hours ago, kmeeg said:

To be honest my Toyota SUVs (In US) are pretty boring on highway but a blast in off-road. As for US market the fun Toyota's are having Subaru engine (GT86) and BMW engine (2020 Supra). :D

On a side note I'm not very happy both Toyota and Honda using 3 cyl engines, small displacement turbo engines & CVTs. As for Toyota's many do not know some of the Toyota badged vehicle have a Daihatsu engine right? Not sure how they can be compete with Toyota engines. As for Honda here in US they have some reliability issues lately probably due to the engines and transmission made in US and not from Japan.   

Well..the Land Cruiser (full sized and Prado) too is as exciting as a bathtub on a swimming pool to drive...but put it off road..it becomes quite the opposite. The Aqua, Vitz, standard Harrier are as exciting as a frozen cucumber...but you get the GR versions of it...they become quite lively. But these hardly ever come to SL.

No..our Sri Lankan car buyers are morons who fall in to all the stupid stories car salesmen tell them. The biggest craze these days is the Toyota Raize...but I guarantee that 99% of the people looking at this do not know that it is a rebadged Daihatsu....hell these eople did not know that the Passo was a rebadged Daihatsu...and according to car salesmen..Daihatsus are really really bad for Sri Lanka...

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 5:02 PM, Klord said:

Is it because many Sri Lankan car enthusiasts own Hondas? Or what? 

It's an interesting observation you made about the huge disproportion of threads. Here are a few guesses...

[1] Demographics - Probably the crowd that take time to talk cars on an online forum may co-incide with a preference for Honda : For example I work in a software company and the car park has a really large number of Hondas from CRV's to Fits and insights.

[2] Most of the time people opt for conservative cars like say a Premio in a stage in their life where they don't have time to spend too much time on a car - just get a car the closest garage/service station and maintain and get it over with cos they just want to get A-B, haul kids to school, go and see how many coconuts are there in their pol-watta etc. They will not have time to spend on forums. 

[3] Honda's always had a presence in SL from the 80's (see the number of 13 sri civics that came b/new) but in the last 10 years with the hybrid rush and Nissan going to the dogs and Mitsubishi presence diminishing they have become popular  - they are however a little more complicated than the Toyotas and hence spawned a few questions for users.

[4] The Vezel/GP5 s had a fair share of issues and due to reason [1] this spawned a lot of debate in the last couple of years.

On 12/6/2019 at 9:52 PM, Hyaenidae said:

The Lancer is one of the most discussed cars in the forum; possibly the most discussed car.

And the most recommended - I have recommended Lances at least a dozen times on this forum. Mostly for people with a sub 3 Mil budget to always go for CS3 - yet they never do....

On 12/7/2019 at 11:51 PM, alds said:

As for Hondas, the high number of wannabe ricers might be a issue.

This has plagued the older EG8's and EK3's - so if anyone want's to buy a used Civic specially it's good to start from the ES series onward the EG8's and EK3's are already pimped out beyond recognition. 

On a side note :Hondas are also becoming a little too mainstream for my liking....

and for some reason now I can't get scotty Kilmers voice out of my head shouting 'Haaan-Da' and 'Ta-yooota' 

Edited by matroska
  • Haha 2

So after a long time, decided to leave a post for this thread. It’s simple

less no of cars = less amount of information

So people are curious and would attract for a lower priced, well maintained alternative than a Toyota. I remember when I was new to this forum, I had made up my mind to go for an Axela or an ES5. But finally ended up with a Toyota which served me for 7 years without any issue. Then for the 2nd time, my mind was like playing badminton between Lancer EX and FD1 but finally ended up with another Toyota. Toyotas are all alike. Boring to drive, but reliable and comfortable.

But Honda, Mazda and Mitus are more engaging. Many places know how to repair a 121 and parts can be found everywhere. But that’s not the case with above mentioned brands. Some parts like genuine filters are hard to find and mechanics are rare around my hometown, so I ended up with a Toyota. Still I bring down all the required genuine spares from the agent and get them installed by a trustworthy mechanic....So not much of a difference ne??

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...