• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

2013/14 CRV or a 2018 CHR G-T

Nuwanm

Question

Hi All,

I am planning to buy a SUV crossover / SUV in coming months. I am thinking of 2013/14 CRV or a 2018 CHR G-T. I may drive this vehicle for about 2 - 3 yrs(i will be selling the vehicle on 2022 or 2023). My priorities of buying are

·         Less repairs (2013/14 CRV will have some repairs. But I heard it is reliable and may not have major issues)

·         Reselling market value

·         My budget would be 6-6.5 million LKR

I am not very much concerned about fuel efficiency. Appreciate your valuable ideas on this. 

Edited by Nuwanm

5 hours ago, iRage said:

Again.this itself shows that you are inexperienced with AWD....no...it is useful a lot more than in just country roads. It is useful in day to day driving even in the city and even in the rain. It does send power to the rear wheels. I have had 3 generations of CRVs and they all have. You feel it when you do aggressive starts but it still does send it...it is just that depending on the system the amount of wheel spin the system would allow for the front wheels defer. In fact in some of the simpler AWD systems that had all these wierd switches for settings..all those did was change this threshold. AWD systems are never bullet proof...there are limits. At the end of the day most of these systems have open diffs and locking is electronically simulated. So under extreme conditions or when certain combinations of wheels lose traction..the system is just going to be happily spinning its wheels in one place thinking the car is actually moving....worst yet..sometimes the power does not even get to any of the wheels except the one that is slipping :) Like I said..these AWD systems are more useful in the city than anything slightly more than normal. 

I have a 2013 CRV 2.4 litre AWD. I also have a 2018 Legacy AWD which is just phenomenal in the wet. This  is without X-Mode though, which is only available in the Forester and XV.  No wheel spin, no traction control kicking in unnecessarily, no drive-line whine or slack, just works beautifully all day.

Isn't the CRV`s AWD system one of the crappiest in the business? I haven't had a chance to push it yet, but there`s not even a 4WD 'lock" mode to lock torque distribution, which is available in the similar spec`d Rav4. Do you have any experience with driving the CRV on sand/mud etc..? is it just that bad (compared to similar systems) or does it work ok? Apparently the CRV`s rear diff is so weak that Honda accepted that it cant take even 50% of engine torque by design? it`s OK on tarmac though, doesn't spin/slip the front wheels like a normal (relatively) high torque FWD car. 

Edited by MrCat

2 hours ago, MrCat said:

I have a 2013 CRV 2.4 litre AWD. I also have a 2018 Legacy AWD which is just phenomenal in the wet. This  is without X-Mode though, which is only available in the Forester and XV.  No wheel spin, no traction control kicking in unnecessarily, no drive-line whine or slack, just works beautifully all day.

Isn't the CRV`s AWD system one of the crappiest in the business? I haven't had a chance to push it yet, but there`s not even a 4WD 'lock" mode to lock torque distribution, which is available in the similar spec`d Rav4. Do you have any experience with driving the CRV on sand/mud etc..? is it just that bad (compared to similar systems) or does it work ok? Apparently the CRV`s rear diff is so weak that Honda accepted that it cant take even 50% of engine torque by design? it`s OK on tarmac though, doesn't spin/slip the front wheels like a normal (relatively) high torque FWD car. 

Actually yes...CRV's Realtime AWD system is one of the most lethargic acting ones and is not considered very good compared to what its competition has. I have pushed the 1st and 3rd gen ones on sand and mud....on deep sand it bogged down quite easily. On mud....it made it through. Although I have to admit the RAV4 and even XTrails that I had or was in the "crew" was a lot more reassuring to drive through these terrains than the CRV. The CRV was truly a pavement pricess with its AWD system.

As for the RAV4 AWD's LOCK mode...actually that was not common. The 1st and 2nd gens had a center diff lock only for the manual transmission one (mainly because these had pure mechanical systems with power being split continuously). With the A30 series it pretty much dissappeared. The JDM variant (shortwheel base RAV4) did not come with a lock at all. Export model short wheel bases and the 3.5L RAV4s (long wheel base versions i.e. the Vanguard with a traditional AT gearbox and V6) came with an electronic lock which pretty much kept things locked up to 40kmph or for X amount of time (the latter sucked).  Then the 4th Gen (which was not offered in Japan came with the new fancy torque control something system...which..well had a locked mode but was not very good. The new one's systems are apparently pretty decent.

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2020 at 9:53 AM, iRage said:

Again.this itself shows that you are inexperienced with AWD....no...it is useful a lot more than in just country roads. It is useful in day to day driving even in the city and even in the rain. It does send power to the rear wheels. I have had 3 generations of CRVs and they all have. You feel it when you do aggressive starts but it still does send it...it is just that depending on the system the amount of wheel spin the system would allow for the front wheels defer. In fact in some of the simpler AWD systems that had all these wierd switches for settings..all those did was change this threshold. AWD systems are never bullet proof...there are limits. At the end of the day most of these systems have open diffs and locking is electronically simulated. So under extreme conditions or when certain combinations of wheels lose traction..the system is just going to be happily spinning its wheels in one place thinking the car is actually moving....worst yet..sometimes the power does not even get to any of the wheels except the one that is slipping :) Like I said..these AWD systems are more useful in the city than anything slightly more than normal. 

IRage..any difference in 3rd gen and 4th gen CR-V when it comes to the AWD..? 

4th gen has the crappiest AWD with its electronic engagement to rear wheels. 3rd gen had viscous coupling as i remember.

I had the 4th gen and as far as i was concern it was FWD and handled as a FWD with ample over-steer.

There are plenty of videos comparing 3rd, 4th and new 5th gen.