• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Is it Necessary to have the Registration Number Sticker on the Windshield?

Klord

Guys, only now I realized that I dont have that small registration sticker pasted on the the back of the windshield. I saw somewhere in a forum thread that it is usually located behind the front number plate given by RMV. But I did not check about it back then when I received the plate. Appreciate if anyone can provide answers for below queries. 

1) Is it a necessity to have it pasted on the windshield? Can police fine me for not having it?

1) How can I safely remove the number plate holder without breaking it so I can check the back of the number plate? My number plate was installed by Staf**rd using their frame. 

2) If the sticker is not available there, how can I obtain one?

Thank you. :)

Edited by Klord

Is it a necessity to have it pasted on the windshield? Can police fine me for not having it?

No. It's not a requirement. My sticker is on file not the windscreen. No issues. You need that sticker when you transfer ownership. 

41 minutes ago, virajn said:

Is it a necessity to have it pasted on the windshield? Can police fine me for not having it?

No. It's not a requirement. My sticker is on file not the windscreen. No issues. You need that sticker when you transfer ownership. 

Totally wong

You need the sticker in the windscreen, that is the purpose that it is issued.

I do not know whether there are any legal provision to charge you if it is not there, but you could get harassed by cops when they stop you and notice it is not there.

Supposing your windscreen is replaced you are suppose to take the glass piece with the sticker to RMV and get a new one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Klord said:

1) How can I safely remove the number plate holder without breaking it so I can check the back of the number plate? My number plate was installed by Staf**rd using their frame. 

It is just clipped by the bottom side, you should be able to unclip using a screw driver.

If you're number plates were fixed by Stafford they are also suppose to paste the sticker in the windscreen. 

Go back to them and ask for it, if they have done the registration and fixing the number place they are responsible the get you the sticker

I'm sure they would have missed it and it must be still in the number plate.

14 minutes ago, kush said:

Totally wong

You need the sticker in the windscreen, that is the purpose that it is issued.

I do not know whether there are any legal provision to charge you if it is not there, but you could get harassed by cops when they stop you and notice it is not there.

Supposing your windscreen is replaced you are suppose to take the glass piece with the sticker to RMV and get a new one. 

Happened to me. Didn't have the sticker when I got my car. Was copped specifically on this in Warakapola. 

You actually don't have to take the glass piece. Just lodge a complaint at the nearest police station, take a copy of the complaint and submit it to the RMV. 

58 minutes ago, Sierra Charlie said:

Happened to me. Didn't have the sticker when I got my car. Was copped specifically on this in Warakapola. 

You actually don't have to take the glass piece. Just lodge a complaint at the nearest police station, take a copy of the complaint and submit it to the RMV. 

For what did they charge you with, was it a fine

If you have the glass piece you don't need the police entry

Edited by kush

You need it, cops call it the “VIC eka” , as it’s a remnant of the old Vic days. 
they usually look at it when they go nitpicking to charge you, when you have no other cause. 
it’s the license plate lights and this. 

On 11/26/2019 at 2:32 PM, kush said:

For what did they charge you with, was it a fine

If you have the glass piece you don't need the police entry

Cops didn't fine me. I said I replaced the windscreen. It was slow-moving traffic. Else they wouldn't have noticed it. 

As for the eventual getting of this sticker, I can't remember what I paid. This was some 3-4 years back. 

You have to lodge a complaint with police. Then you have to take a copy of police entry to department of motor traffic and fill a form. (CMT 65). You can download that form from their site. And then they will issue new VIC sticker. When you sell your car to a person who is living in another province he/she will be in trouble when obtaining new number plates.

• Like 1