• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What happens if you pull "Electronic Parking Break" while the car is moving?

Klord

If we use E parking break while the car is moving, does that stop (reduce the speed of) the car? 

As you may or may not know, my GF crashed my car in to a bus a month ago. There was about 1-2 second of window where I knew the car was going to hit but I was helpless as all I could do was scream at her "break, break, break". I used to keep my right hand on handbrake lever all the time when she was driving my fataher's old Toyota. Here in this incident, I realized just before the accident, that handbrake could save us (at least reduce the damage) but I did not do anything as it was E break and it will damage the car's breaking system.

Thinking about that, now I realize that I should have engaged on E-break irrespective of whether it will damage the break system or not. Because the repair cost for the crash was effin expensive. Anyhow, what is done is done,  I would like to know your thoughts regarding the E-break and how we can utilize it (if possible) to prevent any further unfortunate incidents. 

P.S
Also, I have another query regarding automatic breaking.
> Is there a speed threshold to activating automatic breaking? [In my case Honda Collision Mitigating Breaking System (CMBS)]. We were traveling at low speed around 30 Kmph. Previously I thought that CMBS does not activate at low speeds as system may fail to identify if the driver is going to stop or not. But here is what user manual says,

image.png.7a1a2fd30b51e432984040e3587b9234.png

Edited by Klord

9 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

I'm guessing the car wouldn't have engaged the parking brake while it is in motion even if you pressed the button...

But why didn't she brake? Was she dozing off?

She is still a rookie driver. She lacks space time awareness which is common for most of the womenfolk. Anyhow, I also have the same question in my head, which will  never get a proper answer. :rolleyes: 

I have a dash-camera installed in the car, unfortunately, I disconnected it the day before when cleaning the car and forgot to plug it back, or could have checked it to understand what actually happened. 

P.S
Women does not understand how much men treasure their metallic pets. To date, Im still saddened about what happened but I dont see it in her. -_-

Edited by Klord
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Klord said:

To date, Im still saddened about what happened but I dont see it in her. -_-

:sport-smiley-005:

Also does the E-brake even engage in motion? I was told that the Vezel E-brake won't activate in motion. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the video brother. 

@Hyaenidae, yeah bro. Feeling a bit pissed off with myself now. Should have known it before. :angry-smiley-005:

2 hours ago, kush said:

If your car was equipped with auto brake that should have got activated, system is designed for these type of situations.

Unfortunately it did not. I have no idea why, it get activated for all the unnecessary things, but for this it didnt. :action-smiley-012:

Maybe its because my GF was trying to overtake the bus. She almost made it and crashed in to the right corner of the bus from the left side of the car. The system might have thought the car was  going to make it. 1756368159_WhatsAppImage2019-11-25at16_29_27.thumb.jpeg.f4c1e49ea021aa2936635273313e5f09.jpeg

Edited by Klord
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Quiet said:

B'cos the steering was being turned may be the system assumed that there will not be a crash so the auto brake did not get activated. That's how my car behaves

This is probable. Couple of my friends at office do have Civic X hatch (SR and EX) and I recall them telling that in an instance where the car feels that the user is trying to avoid the collision (lift off the throttle, brake, steer away from the obstacle etc.) the car will not engage the auto brake system.

As per @Klord's diagram, his GF is trying to steer away from the bus right? So, the car must've taken it as the driver is trying to avoid the collision most probably :( 

So the lesson is, at the end of the day we can't keep 100% trust in those systems to avoid an accident and the driver should always be vigilant on the roads (as per the current technology level)..

47 minutes ago, Quiet said:

I do not know why you need to give the car to your GF when you are there. I never give my car to my wife, unless she has to go without me

Lol! I was telling @Klord's story to my wife who has a license but is a horrible driver and can't get behind the wheel to save her soul. She epitomizes everything that is wrong with this system and the  way driving licenses are issued in Sri Lanka.

She's been talking about wanting to drive more often now that the kids are about to start school and this story freaked her out! Not going to happen for a while.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Quiet said:

I do not know why you need to give the car to your GF when you are there. I never give my car to my wife, unless she has to go without me

We were partying the day before (Friday) and I was pretty much wasted (hangover). I drove the car up till Kegalle from Colombo and was feeling sleepy. My GF was sleeping till then, so I asked her to take the wheel for some time. Things went well up till Pilimathalawa, but shit happens. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Dee Jay said:

As per @Klord's diagram, his GF is trying to steer away from the bus right? So, the car must've taken it as the driver is trying to avoid the collision most probably :( 

So the lesson is, at the end of the day we can't keep 100% trust in those systems to avoid an accident and the driver should always be vigilant on the roads (as per the current technology level)..

Agree. Systems are there to assist the drivers, not to replace. At least for now. 

42 minutes ago, RWD said:

Lol! I was telling @Klord's story to my wife who has a license but is a horrible driver and can't get behind the wheel to save her soul. She epitomizes everything that is wrong with this system and the  way driving licenses are issued in Sri Lanka.

She's been talking about wanting to drive more often now that the kids are about to start school and this story freaked her out! Not going to happen for a while.

Glad I could help. One man's misery may bring blessings to another man. :action-smiley-031:

Edited by Klord

By the way, I sent the link of this thread to my GF. She was furious at first but then understood the situation. Totally worth it. :D

P.S
She is now determined to be a better driver. Playing NFS most wanted these days to  improve the space time awareness. Dunno if that will help or not, but lets see how well this goes.... 

Edited by Klord
  • Haha 2

This is probably OT but I actually blame the system. Any monkey can get a licence in Sri Lanka. The exam is useless and the trial doesn't give a good picture of how good you are as a driver. In other countries, the trial takes about one hour and the examiner takes the applicant through a series of various road conditions and traffic situations. Unless you are an attentive and disciplined driver, you won't pass the trial. My wife failed twice before she got her licence in Australia. And this is someone who has a full manual driver's licence in Sri Lanka.

I have so many friends who failed because they were driving 5km/h over the speed limit got more than 10 seconds or because they didn't fully stop the car at a "stop" sign. My wife failed because she didn't "maintain a safe distance with the vehicle in front".

So yeah, it has to start at the source and I think our roads will improve a lot if the bad drivers are eliminated at the source. 75% of the three wheeler drivers and the scooty akkas won't make it through the test if it's done properly.

Just my two cents. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Klord said:

P.S
She is now determined to be a better driver. Playing NFS most wanted these days to  improve the space time awareness. Dunno if that will help or not, but lets see how well this goes.... 

Of all the games you could have picked, why Most Wanted? Only thing that game will make her want to do is to try near misses in real life to get the points.

Try GRID 2 or Forza Mortorsports titles if you are serious about this. Even so, I doubt it's a good way of achieving the said goal.