• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Is there a speed limit in first 1,000km for brand new cars

Dhaham

Hi all.

We have heard that, a brand new car should be driven at lower speeds or lower RPMs during first 1,000km or up to first service. Here I'm talking about Japanese or European reputed brands. Is this correct or applicable for modern cars?

If so, what is the recommended speed limit or RPM limit?

Better to take it easy on the first 1000km, and subsequently up to about 5000km. No hard acceleration, braking, avoid heavy traffic during first 1000 if possible.

It is not the speed but stress on the engine, keep it below 3-4K rpm as much as possible. You will have no issues in exceeding legal speeds at this level.

Even if you don't stick to this your engine will not die on you, but could result in premature wear which might affect the longevity of the engine.

Agree with @kush. Manufacturers no longer talk about this "break-in period" for modern cars. Its not mentioned in their official websites, forums or user manuals for cars. Common understanding is that, with modern manufacturing technology, break-in is done inside the factory or is not necessary. But people are still worried about proper break-in for their precious cars.

Anyhow, just to be in the safe side, I kept mine under 2-3k rpm max for first 1000km. You can easily get to higher speed with smooth acceleration. No need to press pedal to the metal. :)

35 minutes ago, Klord said:

Agree with @kush. Manufacturers no longer talk about this "break-in period" for modern cars. Its not mentioned in their official websites, forums or user manuals for cars. 

My 2014 car had running in recommendations mentioned in the owners manual (but the engine was designed back in 2010, maybe it was necessary back then)

http://www.mitsuguide.com/gimes-213-running_in_recommendations.html