• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

AE100 5A-FE Questions

udaya19

Question

Hi
I have several questions about recently bought Corolla AE100.
Model is Se limited, 1995, 5A-FE engine. Manual.

if I ride on long way, temp gauge dropping to almost minimum. in traffic, it rise to half and fan turned on. so I opened thermostat valve cover and there is no thermostat.

1. Can anyone tell me the part number of thermostat? or temperature rating?

2. Experts, tell me AC idle up vsv and other vsv same in vacuum rating? I mean amount of vacuum it can pass once opened. I ask this because someone replaced ac idle up vsv with regular one. I saw ac idle up vsv in other car it different. even it has a adjustble screw. now idle up work but not enough. it drop rpm and engine stall sometimes. new vsv has different connector than original AC idleup vsv.

3. fuel economy is not much better. it can get 13-14kmpl without ac long distance. is it due to without thermostat ?

4. engine noise is higher compared to other same car with 5A-FE engines. odometer is ~250k no oil burning or smoke. is this normal?

5. if I slow the car and pickup in 3rd-4th gear, car shaking it is like something loosed. sometimes its fine if I release clutch very slowly.

6 answers to this question

47 minutes ago, udaya19 said:

Hi
I have several questions about recently bought Corolla AE100.
Model is Se limited, 1995, 5A-FE engine. Manual.

if I ride on long way, temp gauge dropping to almost minimum. in traffic, it rise to half and fan turned on. so I opened thermostat valve cover and there is no thermostat.

1. Can anyone tell me the part number of thermostat? or temperature rating?

2. Experts, tell me AC idle up vsv and other vsv same in vacuum rating? I mean amount of vacuum it can pass once opened. I ask this because someone replaced ac idle up vsv with regular one. I saw ac idle up vsv in other car it different. even it has a adjustble screw. now idle up work but not enough. it drop rpm and engine stall sometimes. new vsv has different connector than original AC idleup vsv.

3. fuel economy is not much better. it can get 13-14kmpl without ac long distance. is it due to without thermostat ?

4. engine noise is higher compared to other same car with 5A-FE engines. odometer is ~250k no oil burning or smoke. is this normal?

5. if I slow the car and pickup in 3rd-4th gear, car shaking it is like something loosed. sometimes its fine if I release clutch very slowly.

1. 90916-03046 This is used in other Toyota cars as well so it will not be an issue to find one.

2. ??

3. Well....how worn out IS your engine ? and gear box. Don't forget you have a car that is more than 20 years old and it is worn out. Have you done a compression test ?

4. What do you mean by engine noise ? Valve knocks ? Exhaust/Intake noise ? Piston slap ? Timing belt tensioner making a clinky noise ? Just saying noise does not mean anything..you need to be more specific...even fan belts slipping is a noise...

5. What you are describing sounds exactly like what happens when you try to accelerate on a too high of a gear and the engine starting to stutter (but the car jerks and stutters until the engine revs high enough to have sufficient torque for the car to start moving). Seems like you are still not used to the gearing of this car ? Or...are you new to driving a manual transmission ? 

21 minutes ago, iRage said:

1. 90916-03046 This is used in other Toyota cars as well so it will not be an issue to find one.

2. ??

3. Well....how worn out IS your engine ? and gear box. Don't forget you have a car that is more than 20 years old and it is worn out. Have you done a compression test ?

4. What do you mean by engine noise ? Valve knocks ? Exhaust/Intake noise ? Piston slap ? Timing belt tensioner making a clinky noise ? Just saying noise does not mean anything..you need to be more specific...even fan belts slipping is a noise...

5. What you are describing sounds exactly like what happens when you try to accelerate on a too high of a gear and the engine starting to stutter (but the car jerks and stutters until the engine revs high enough to have sufficient torque for the car to start moving). Seems like you are still not used to the gearing of this car ? Or...are you new to driving a manual transmission ? 

Thanks for response

3. never did compression test. 250k on odometer. 

4. when engine warm,  tik tik noise there.. may be tappet. no knocking or piston slap. since cold start, slight grinding like noise is there it seems sound coming from inside timing belt cover. noise is deep. may be expert need to examine the car.

5. This shaking not happen if car start to moving from complete stop. or 1st/2nd gear. it is difficult to explain. it is like some "play" between wheel shaft and engine. can bad engine mount or cv joints cause such a issue?

1 hour ago, udaya19 said:

Thanks for response

3. never did compression test. 250k on odometer. 

4. when engine warm,  tik tik noise there.. may be tappet. no knocking or piston slap. since cold start, slight grinding like noise is there it seems sound coming from inside timing belt cover. noise is deep. may be expert need to examine the car.

5. This shaking not happen if car start to moving from complete stop. or 1st/2nd gear. it is difficult to explain. it is like some "play" between wheel shaft and engine. can bad engine mount or cv joints cause such a issue?

4. knocking what ?

5. Yes it will not happen in low gear. (i.e. when accelerating from a low or stand still in 1st and then to 2nd...or depending on the speed from 2nd to 3rd)...if you are in a high gear and the car is moving too slow and the revs are low ..the car will jerk like it is going to stall. It is normal in any manual car. Yes..it does feel like a play between the shaft and the engine as you put it...it is because the engine does not have enough torque to turn the engaged gear wheel (sorry not a techie person to properly explain it with technical terms)...thus the engine cannot move the car and then the gear is trying to stall the engine. Even from a stand still if you try to accelerate whilst in 3rd then to 4th gear i(or from 2nd to 3rd) t will jerk....this sounds like you are trying to accelerate when in a gear that is too high. That is why I asked if you know how to drive a manual transmission car.

On 11/21/2019 at 8:44 PM, iRage said:

4. knocking what ?

5. Yes it will not happen in low gear. (i.e. when accelerating from a low or stand still in 1st and then to 2nd...or depending on the speed from 2nd to 3rd)...if you are in a high gear and the car is moving too slow and the revs are low ..the car will jerk like it is going to stall. It is normal in any manual car. Yes..it does feel like a play between the shaft and the engine as you put it...it is because the engine does not have enough torque to turn the engaged gear wheel (sorry not a techie person to properly explain it with technical terms)...thus the engine cannot move the car and then the gear is trying to stall the engine. Even from a stand still if you try to accelerate whilst in 3rd then to 4th gear i(or from 2nd to 3rd) t will jerk....this sounds like you are trying to accelerate when in a gear that is too high. That is why I asked if you know how to drive a manual transmission car.

On 11/20/2021 at 10:53 AM, Tharindu Rukshan said:

Hi dear , my vehicle jerk 3rd and 4th gear while moving in slow speed . We change clutch plate. Cluth plate torsion spring getting loose . Pressure plate looks good . Its happen only slow speed looks like clutch not enough to move . Please help

Hi ! So I am going to reply to your message here as I beleive others might be able to provie you with more info than me as there are many other members who are 1000c times more technical than I am :)

1. What is the clutch you are using ? Is it a genuine part or a replacement part from a reputed manufacturer ?

2. Torsion spring getting loose....are you dumping the clutch (or driving the car in a very harsh manner all the time ? High revs...then short shifting...etc...

3. What is your definition of slow speed ? Because when you are talking about 3rd and 4th gear and slow speed I amnot sure exactly slow speed could be