• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Which is the best Toyota Raize Model for my requirements?

TDS

12 minutes ago, iRage said:

and yes...the rear does have torsion beams and drums...and the drums looked tiny.... 

thanks for confirming @iRage! The car sale guy said it had independent rears when I inquired (that's why I got confused). But, from the things he said I realised I can't take his word on that as he didn't seem to know much about the car at all from the things he said.. So, I took a quick look underneath the rear of the car and saw the torsion beam.

Funny part was when I asked him if they were bringing down the Rocky, he shook his head vigorously :D 

8 hours ago, Dee Jay said:

thanks for confirming @iRage! The car sale guy said it had independent rears when I inquired (that's why I got confused). But, from the things he said I realised I can't take his word on that as he didn't seem to know much about the car at all from the things he said.. So, I took a quick look underneath the rear of the car and saw the torsion beam.

Funny part was when I asked him if they were bringing down the Rocky, he shook his head vigorously :D 

These people are complete and utter moronic frauds....but then again our car buying public are not much different. I am sure these people do not know that this is a Daihatsu with Toyota badges.

On 12/8/2019 at 3:53 PM, Dee Jay said:

Well the first set of Raises have landed it seems.. A friend of mine is expecting to buy one and I went with him today and inspected one (Z grade variant) at a car sale.

Seemed decently put together not as plasticy as I expected. But, like @iRage reiterated it is nothing fancy and the interior isn't as spacious as the dimensions sounded. Average leg space and headroom was there in the back (this is when the front seats were not dragged to their back most position. But, the position it was set in didn't cause any problems for the front passengers either). I felt 3 fully grown adults might struggle to travel in the rear (hatchback like room was there). The luggage space was also in a decent hatchback territory. The thing that caught my eye the most was how tiny the accelerator pedal was :D (me being a Civic FD owner I'm used to a large accelerator pedal). As I saw the rear had torsion beam suspension and drum brakes (I might be wrong here because it was just a few minutes with the car)

@Dee Jay May I know the place to go and have a look please?

24 minutes ago, TDS said:

@Dee Jay May I know the place to go and have a look please?

Check your DM. Don't know if it is available there now as they had only one unit and many people were coming to inspect it. 

But, I think other places would also have it by now most probably.

6 hours ago, Dee Jay said:

Check your DM. Don't know if it is available there now as they had only one unit and many people were coming to inspect it. 

But, I think other places would also have it by now most probably.

Thank you bro

On 12/9/2019 at 6:46 AM, iRage said:

These people are complete and utter moronic frauds....but then again our car buying public are not much different. I am sure these people do not know that this is a Daihatsu with Toyota badges.

No body cares what is underneath as long as they have the fog lights, alloy wheels, body kit and all important winker mirrors.

• Haha 1

So many adverts for the Raize in quick site, thought of having a look at one in the weekend during by usual errands.

By the way Kia Stonic caught my eye in today paper seems like a sensible alternative with more power, 5 year agent warranty and approximately Rs. 1.0 Mn less.

thanks to @Dee Jay's tip i checked out the vehicle today. in layman's terms it's actually ok in terms of the size because im not looking for a big size vehicle also. Its actually bigger than the vitz and has a good ground clearance . However i also felt its not so spacious inside but compared to CHR and Vezel the rear passengers would have more space i think due to its box shape. Couldnt do a drive as it wasnt allowed.

25 minutes ago, TDS said:

thanks to @Dee Jay's tip i checked out the vehicle today. in layman's terms it's actually ok in terms of the size because im not looking for a big size vehicle also. Its actually bigger than the vitz and has a good ground clearance . However i also felt its not so spacious inside but compared to CHR and Vezel the rear passengers would have more space i think due to its box shape. Couldnt do a drive as it wasnt allowed.

No it is not "bigger" than the Vitz like it is in a different category...it is slightly larger than the VItz and it still is the size of a large hatchback. It is NOT large enough to be a replacement for the Vezel or CHR.

In the rear....the boxy shape gives more head room and the high seat gives the rear passengers a better leg positioning even when the front seat is reclined back.

Guys based on @iRages advice I wanted AWD vehicle but apparently according to some importers if I get AWD highest grade  with all the options cif value will go beyond 3.5 million and it will be subject to a heavy duty of app. 1 million which makes it no sense to go for it. Srilanka’s duty structure is just weird and crazy.

can someone please enlighten me on this 3.5 mil duty ?

When you consider cif value does it include the options you add too? 

Does it include the cost of additional tires, keys etc? 

Edited by TDS

1 hour ago, TDS said:

Guys based on @iRages advice I wanted AWD vehicle but apparently according to some importers if I get AWD highest grade  with all the options cif value will go beyond 3.5 million and it will be subject to a heavy duty of app. 1 million which makes it no sense to go for it. Srilanka’s duty structure is just weird and crazy.

I think they are BS to sell you what they have, price difference between the 2WD and 4WD approximately Rs. 400k.

4WD might exceed CIF Rs. 3.5 Mn. marginally which might attract luxury tax on the excess over Rs. 3.5 Mn. as far as I know.

Besides if the previous method of the valuation is used by customs it will be based on the price of the basic 4WD which is below Rs. 3.5 Mn.

As have mentioned before you need to get this clarified either from customs or a reliable clearing agent.

By the way I do not see a point for a 4WD Raize, paying a premium of Rs. 400K

• Thanks 1

@TDS if you are going for the Raise 2WD just have a look at the Kia Stonic from a sale or the agents. Saw in an article that it is costing under 5 million at the agents (might be the lowest grade) but worth to explore other options and see cause I genuinely don't feel that you should spend a huge sum of money on a Raise just because it is a Toyota.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, TDS said:

What exactly is luxury tax? Is it on cif value 3.5 mil or engine 1500cc? Those are two different taxes?

Do a search in the forum there were a few recent threads discussing luxury tax. Luxury tax was there before; but the method of taxing was amended a couple of months back (from a particular cylinder capacity upwards to a CIF based one). Here you will find the official press release by the finance ministry.

If the CIF value exceeds 35 lakhs then the value beyond that is subject to a luxury tax. (eg: vehicle CIF is 40 lakhs you pay 5 lakhs as a luxury tax).

The normal engine capacity based taxation also applies based on the cylinder capacity of the vehicle and it is not connected with the luxury tax.

So, basically let's say you import a vehicle with a CIF value of 40 lakhs and a CC capacity of 998cc you have to pay the luxury tax of 5 lakhs plus the applicable tax for the 998cc (which is around 2 million).

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dee Jay said:

Do a search in the forum there were a few recent threads discussing luxury tax. Luxury tax was there before; but the method of taxing was amended a couple of months back (from a particular cylinder capacity upwards to a CIF based one). Here you will find the official press release by the finance ministry.

If the CIF value exceeds 35 lakhs then the value beyond that is subject to a luxury tax. (eg: vehicle CIF is 40 lakhs you pay 5 lakhs as a luxury tax).

The normal engine capacity based taxation also applies based on the cylinder capacity of the vehicle and it is not connected with the luxury tax.

So, basically let's say you import a vehicle with a CIF value of 40 lakhs and a CC capacity of 998cc you have to pay the luxury tax of 5 lakhs plus the applicable tax for the 998cc (which is around 2 million).

Thanks much bro

11 hours ago, TDS said:

Well...what I said was the 4WD apparently rides better than the 2WD...and if you are planning on doing some travelling and even some light off roading then the 4WD will give you more versitility (it is just something people with AWD and travel get but others do not). Considering he size of the car...a 2WD Raize would be as good as any hatchback (midsized one) albeit you would get the slight height increase. ...basically it means you now have a whole lot of options you can look at.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, iRage said:

Well...what I said was the 4WD apparently rides better than the 2WD...and if you are planning on doing some travelling and even some light off roading then the 4WD will give you more versitility (it is just something people with AWD and travel get but others do not). Considering he size of the car...a 2WD Raize would be as good as any hatchback (midsized one) albeit you would get the slight height increase. ...basically it means you now have a whole lot of options you can look at.

Agree with this. I drive AWD C-HR and it feels way better than the 2WD one. Better pick up from stand still position,  better grip at corners, easy on climbs. I've done some light off roading  too in muddy places and it helps a lot not having the front wheels skipping.  I wish the front lip was a bit higher, so that I won't have to worry about scraping the bottom of it.

12 hours ago, sathyajithj99 said:

Agree with this. I drive AWD C-HR and it feels way better than the 2WD one. Better pick up from stand still position,  better grip at corners, easy on climbs. I've done some light off roading  too in muddy places and it helps a lot not having the front wheels skipping.  I wish the front lip was a bit higher, so that I won't have to worry about scraping the bottom of it.

Kudos to your guts ,, to go offroading with that ground clearance...