• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Which is the best Toyota Raize Model for my requirements?

TDS

Hi Guys,

Hope you are all going great and you guys rock!  First of all, apologies for starting a new thread on Toyota Raize while there is another active thread on the same topic, the reason is I have more specific questions to know your expert views. My requirements are;

(1) Good value for the price I pay

(2) Fuel economy- as I will travel between Kandy to Colombo once every week. (within city i live very close to my office, so generally I won't have to drive much in the traffic)

(3) Poor road conditions in  my area- I need a vehicle with a good ground clearance 

(4) Second hand value

(5) Comfort- I specially didn't like being a passenger in vehicles like Aqua earlier models and vezel, in long distance trips.

(6) Leisure activities- we try to do road trips at least once in a month, so a vehicle that will perform on different types of roads in Sri Lanka would be great.

(7) I like a vehicle which has a sporty look, rather than a family vehicle/sedan (because Im still single & young :( )

(8) A new/recondition vehicle as opposed to a used one, because I dont know much about how to do the repairs and dont have time to attend to those. 

(9) After all, unfortunately, the budget is between 4 million and 6 million. 

I in fact considered Vezel, and CH-R but there were negative reviews. about those. (eg- Vezel Battery issue, vehicle value, and CH-R fuel economy, etc) I had almost decided to go for a Vitz when the news broke to me about Raize. 

Although it could be too early to say this, on my basic research it appears that Raize meets most of my requirements above. 

I obtained quotes from a few importers already. There are two 2WD models and 2 4WD models. 2WD model seems better in terms of fuel economy. 4WD models are more expensive than 2WD models. 

Given my requirements above, do you guys think 4WD would be a better option for me? Should I compromise on fuel economy and the price to get a 4WD?

According to the company, the fuel economy is 18km/L for 2WD and 17km/L for 4WD. What would be the average fuel economy on Sri Lankan roads? I guess it will be around 8-10km/L?

The engine capacity is 1000CC with tubro. Will this be an issue for 4WD? 

Will the small engine of 1000CC have a bad impact on fuel economy? 

Sorry guys the questions may be stupid but Im totally lost as even on the internet there is nothing much about this car. But I want to get this down by next Jan/Feb

Thanks as always

Tharindu 

Edited by TDS

You are asking for opinions on a car that NO ONE in SL has actually seen or touched. Fine..I saw the car in person but I have not driven or ridden in one so again...makes no sense to comment on anything.

If you are concerned so much about fuel economy...then go buy a Hybrid or a kei car. Not a SUV of any size !

I keep telling this in every Raize thread....the car is the same size as a Vitz...a little bit larger..but that is it....because of the boxy shape it looks larger, but its not, and has a better utilization of space. That is it. Ride wise..it is probably going to be the same as a little hatchback...so if you hated travelling in an an aqua or Vitz because of its small-ness and the bounciness due to its small-ness..this is not going to be much different.

If you are going to go for a 2WD version..then go for a Vitz...because that is what it is (well...a Vitz with a 1.3L engine so it will drive a bit better than the 1L variant)....just taller. If you are going to go for a SUV looking vehicle...just go for a 4WD variant. The thel higannas who want the looks of a SUV will always defend saying an AWD Vezel, CHR, RAV4, etc....is pointless..but those who have an AWD variant will know versatile how useful AWD is. The AWD variants of the CHR, Vezel, RAV4 are not that far off in fuel efficiency.

The AWD system in this is not necessarily designed for off-roading..but to just get you up and down a snowy or muddy or wet road, just like an AWD Corolla or Vitz or Corona or Allion. That is it...so the engine will be sufficient.

As for resale value...how the heck would anyone know since the car has not even been mass sold in Japan yet ? Right now there is a huge demand for it in SL..but after sometime..who knows ? Some people are going to get turned off by it (and will be grumbling and looking toget rid of it) and some will keep on lusting for it and make having one the sole purpose of their existence. 

Also, if your budget is 4 to 6 million, which is quite a lot for a young new car owner, there are so many other options in the hatchback, sedan and crossover market that are actually sporty and youthful. You just have to look beyond the average Vitz, Aqua, Allion/Axio. Even the Vitz/Aqua for your budget; you should be able to find sporty variants...

Edited by iRage
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Cannot agree more iRage

I would advise on the 2WD and save the money or spend on something more useful as our conditions and driving styles does not require AWD.

When there is a new SUV all go crazy here and get in to the band wagon not realizing that there could be issues as the cars age.

Every one got down Vezel until they realize on the DCT issues

MG/ CHR - until poor economy

All Audi Q2/ 3008/ CRV - too early to tell

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TDS said:

Hi Guys,

Hope you are all going great and you guys rock!  First of all, apologies for starting a new thread on Toyota Raize while there is another active thread on the same topic, the reason is I have more specific questions to know your expert views. My requirements are;

(1) Good value for the price I pay

(2) Fuel economy- as I will travel between Kandy to Colombo once every week. (within city i live very close to my office, so generally I won't have to drive much in the traffic)

(3) Poor road conditions in  my area- I need a vehicle with a good ground clearance 

(4) Second hand value

(5) Comfort- I specially didn't like being a passenger in vehicles like Aqua earlier models and vezel, in long distance trips.

(6) Leisure activities- we try to do road trips at least once in a month, so a vehicle that will perform on different types of roads in Sri Lanka would be great.

(7) I like a vehicle which has a sporty look, rather than a family vehicle/sedan (because Im still single & young :( )

(8) A new/recondition vehicle as opposed to a used one, because I dont know much about how to do the repairs and dont have time to attend to those. 

(9) After all, unfortunately, the budget is between 4 million and 6 million. 

I in fact considered Vezel, and CH-R but there were negative reviews. about those. (eg- Vezel Battery issue, vehicle value, and CH-R fuel economy, etc) I had almost decided to go for a Vitz when the news broke to me about Raize. 

Although it could be too early to say this, on my basic research it appears that Raize meets most of my requirements above. 

I obtained quotes from a few importers already. There are two 2WD models and 2 4WD models. 2WD model seems better in terms of fuel economy. 4WD models are more expensive than 2WD models. 

Given my requirements above, do you guys think 4WD would be a better option for me? Should I compromise on fuel economy and the price to get a 4WD?

According to the company, the fuel economy is 18km/L for 2WD and 17km/L for 4WD. What would be the average fuel economy on Sri Lankan roads? I guess it will be around 8-10km/L?

The engine capacity is 1000CC with tubro. Will this be an issue for 4WD? 

Will the small engine of 1000CC have a bad impact on fuel economy? 

Sorry guys the questions may be stupid but Im totally lost as even on the internet there is nothing much about this car. But I want to get this down by next Jan/Feb

Thanks as always

Tharindu 

Wait for the car to arrive, do a test drive before you chuck in  hard earned millions, 
theres no proper review even on YouTube, 

im sure the importers have you on the hook promising sun and stars, even if it’s a small car, slow car or a wannabe off roader, you got to at least see it in person to know if you like it.

besides I’m sure even the people who designed the car and mass produced it cannot answer your questionnaire as it has not been On the road on an emerging market such as ours.

hence why a lump of land called a dealership was invented for car salesman.

in a country where we pay an outrageous sum for a car, purchasing one by just looking at some pics off the internet doesn’t sound wise by any means. 

Edited by tiv
  • Like 1

Don’t expect it to have wondrous fuel economy as it’s an suv with a 1000cc lump, logic says it will be worse than the vitz which realistically does like 11kmpl, 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tiv said:

Wait for the car to arrive, do a test drive before you chuck in  hard earned millions, 
theres no proper review even on YouTube, 

im sure the importers have you on the hook promising sun and stars, even if it’s a small car, slow car or a wannabe off roader, you got to at least see it in person to know if you like it.

besides I’m sure even the people who designed the car and mass produced it cannot answer your questionnaire as it has not been On the road on an emerging market such as ours.

hence why a lump of land called a dealership was invented for car salesman.

in a country where we pay an outrageous sum for a car, purchasing one by just looking at some pics off the internet doesn’t sound wise by any means. 

Yes thanks I will wait a bit 

3 hours ago, kush said:

Cannot agree more iRage

I would advise on the 2WD and save the money or spend on something more useful as our conditions and driving styles does not require AWD.

When there is a new SUV all go crazy here and get in to the band wagon not realizing that there could be issues as the cars age.

Every one got down Vezel until they realize on the DCT issues

MG/ CHR - until poor economy

All Audi Q2/ 3008/ CRV - too early to tell

I am actually proposing an AWD if you need an AWD..if not (i.e. you are going for a 2WD) there are enough of other options that are comfier and has better road presence and more economical to run. My point was it is pointless to stay away from an AWD when you go for a SUV just because it does 1kmpl worst than the 2WD variant. In the long run I do believe the AWD variants have better demand than a 2WD variant (purely speculative and based on our experience selling off AWD variants and our friends trying to dispose 2WD variants). 

As for the others...well the issue is people over here bite the bait, line and hook because our guys decide to buy cars based on price and glory factor.

Again, for the OP....your budget gives you so many options...including proper, well taken care of SUVs (granted it will be older) or crossovers (i.e. I am sure you can find a agent maintained CR-V or something that was imported under a permit or something for your budget)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iRage said:

You are asking for opinions on a car that NO ONE in SL has actually seen or touched. Fine..I saw the car in person but I have not driven or ridden in one so again...makes no sense to comment on anything.

If you are concerned so much about fuel economy...then go buy a Hybrid or a kei car. Not a SUV of any size !

I keep telling this in every Raize thread....the car is the same size as a Vitz...a little bit larger..but that is it....because of the boxy shape it looks larger, but its not, and has a better utilization of space. That is it. Ride wise..it is probably going to be the same as a little hatchback...so if you hated travelling in an an aqua or Vitz because of its small-ness and the bounciness due to its small-ness..this is not going to be much different.

If you are going to go for a 2WD version..then go for a Vitz...because that is what it is (well...a Vitz with a 1.3L engine so it will drive a bit better than the 1L variant)....just taller. If you are going to go for a SUV looking vehicle...just go for a 4WD variant. The thel higannas who want the looks of a SUV will always defend saying an AWD Vezel, CHR, RAV4, etc....is pointless..but those who have an AWD variant will know versatile how useful AWD is. The AWD variants of the CHR, Vezel, RAV4 are not that far off in fuel efficiency.

The AWD system in this is not necessarily designed for off-roading..but to just get you up and down a snowy or muddy or wet road, just like an AWD Corolla or Vitz or Corona or Allion. That is it...so the engine will be sufficient.

As for resale value...how the heck would anyone know since the car has not even been mass sold in Japan yet ? Right now there is a huge demand for it in SL..but after sometime..who knows ? Some people are going to get turned off by it (and will be grumbling and looking toget rid of it) and some will keep on lusting for it and make having one the sole purpose of their existence. 

Also, if your budget is 4 to 6 million, which is quite a lot for a young new car owner, there are so many other options in the hatchback, sedan and crossover market that are actually sporty and youthful. You just have to look beyond the average Vitz, Aqua, Allion/Axio. Even the Vitz/Aqua for your budget; you should be able to find sporty variants...

Thank you for the detailed reply

Fuel economy itself  is not a big issue but i'd like to know in advance so i know exactly what i'm getting in order to plan my budgets. As i said earlier i have to go between Kandy and Colombo every week and one road trip per month.  So overall cost of the transport on the top of a 2-3 million vehicle loan would be a factor to be considered.  But as per my research the hybird cars which are available within my budget (vezel and swift etc) fail miserably on more important aspects. (vezel- battery issue, comfort, low resale value, swift hybrid- safety 4 stars and ground clearance, Toyota Aqua- comfort and ground clearance, Toyota Axio- the car being a sedan feels too big for me) Suzuki Vitara- some negative comments, resale value and and little above the budget, same with Hundai). Therefore I wouldnt just go for a hybird which is not safe or which is not comfortable just to save a few bucks on fuel. 

I even considered CH-R even on here there were several negative reviews and i see a large number of CH-Rs are being resold by the first owners. So I thought this might have an impact on the second hand value in case i want to sell it in future.  

Regarding the resale value as the vehicle is still new i totally understand that your guess is as good as mine, so I think its best to wait another few months and see?

One of the reasons i wanted to do this fast is the low interest rate these days, its 12% and the bank agreed to give me at 11.5% (it was around 15-16 before) This might save 5k-6k from the monthly loan installment whe compared with the earlier interest rates. 

So this is AWD as opposed to 4WD.

Edited by TDS

8 minutes ago, TDS said:

Thats what i feel too

Well...it is supposed to be the same displacement of a 1300cc - 1500cc car...so as any 1300-1500cc car I believe it will do around 9-10ish depending on how much he will be stuck in traffic...but it seems like he will be mostly doing long distance trips (granted uphill) so he would be getting a bit more towards the upper end of that spectrum.

But since Japan moved away from the JC08 model for advertising fuel economy...the fuel economy is pretty close to real life efficiencies (previously what people would get in real life was up to 70% of what was advertised); granted, in Japan the average city speeds are much greater than in Colombo.

2 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Go for a Raize 2WD if you're looking to buy a brand new car

Well....I would say no to the 2WD....if he is going for the 2WD..just go for a hatchback. The AWD variant will be quite useful on hilly roads during the rainy season and if he wants to go on some light trails in some parks the AWD will come useful...

But before anything and everything....he should just wait for the car to land and see if it will work for him or if there are other options. The closest the OP can use to compare the Raize to existing models would be a Terios/Rush. So...go get in a Rush..drive one and see if you like that and if you find the cabin space comfortable. The Raize will feel a bit more refined and a bit more direct (if the TNGA platform in other vehicles are anything to go by) and then that is it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TDS said:

Thank you for the detailed reply

Fuel economy itself  is not a big issue but i'd like to know in advance so i know exactly what i'm getting in order to plan my budgets. As i said earlier i have to go between Kandy and Colombo every week and one road trip per month.  So overall cost of the transport on the top of a 2-3 million vehicle loan would be a factor to be considered.  But as per my research the hybird cars which are available within my budget (vezel and swift etc) fail miserably on more important aspects. (vezel- battery issue, comfort, low resale value, swift hybrid- safety 4 stars and ground clearance, Toyota Aqua- comfort and ground clearance, Toyota Axio- the car being a sedan feels too big for me) Suzuki Vitara- some negative comments, resale value and and little above the budget, same with Hundai). Therefore I wouldnt just go for a hybird which is not safe or which is not comfortable just to save a few bucks on fuel. 

I even considered CH-R even on here there were several negative reviews and i see a large number of CH-Rs are being resold by the first owners. So I thought this might have an impact on the second hand value in case i want to sell it in future.  

Regarding the resale value as the vehicle is still new i totally understand that your guess is as good as mine, so I think its best to wait another few months and see?

One of the reasons i wanted to do this fast is the low interest rate these days, its 12% and the bank agreed to give me at 11.5% (it was around 15-16 before) This might save 5k-6k from the monthly loan installment whe compared with the earlier interest rates. 

So this is AWD as opposed to 4WD.

I would not advise you to go for a Hybrid since you are not driving it enough for it to make sense. But look in to other pure gasoline vehicles.  To be honest the Raize does fit your profile....although....I would say not to rush in to it. I believe most of the C-HRs are being sold becuase people rushed in to it thinking because it is a small engine and a Toyota it will do like 19-20kmpl...the "thel higanna" types who feel for the car salesmen's stories went for it and now selling it off....it is not because there is anything inherently wrong with the C-HR.

As for this whole resale business....and "market naha" stories...it is utter bs.  As long as cars are properly taken care of and are honest and reasonably priced (taking in to account depreciation) they sell ! There is no one in the country who is stuck with a Vitara or any other car brand for that matter because of "market naha". The issue is Sri Lankans dress up cars like Toyotas and Nissans and then try to sell it at a profit after  using it for 10years and putting about 120000km (but sold as 60000).

• Like 3

11 hours ago, iRage said:

I am actually proposing an AWD if you need an AWD..if not (i.e. you are going for a 2WD) there are enough of other options that are comfier and has better road presence and more economical to run. My point was it is pointless to stay away from an AWD when you go for a SUV just because it does 1kmpl worst than the 2WD variant. In the long run I do believe the AWD variants have better demand than a 2WD variant (purely speculative and based on our experience selling off AWD variants and our friends trying to dispose 2WD variants). 

As for the others...well the issue is people over here bite the bait, line and hook because our guys decide to buy cars based on price and glory factor.

Again, for the OP....your budget gives you so many options...including proper, well taken care of SUVs (granted it will be older) or crossovers (i.e. I am sure you can find a agent maintained CR-V or something that was imported under a permit or something for your budget)

On the matter of 4WD/ AWD and resale market sentiment has changed last few years as most of the SUVs that were imported are FWD (Vezel/ CRV). In fact Vezel 2WD is easier to sell and in the CRV it does not make any difference. On larger SUVs like the Sorento AWD fetch premium (most of the time you can recover what you paid for AWD initially)

I'm not disputing advantage of AWD even in the dry as it gives better balance in cornering, taking off on steep inclines, traction from standing start etc..  They some times have better rear suspension setup multi-link vs basic which also improve handling and ride.

But how many of average driver make use of this, most of the SUVs in SL are bought for their perceived status, driving position and the ride height to manage the bad roads. They never go off road not even on grass. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kush said:

On the matter of 4WD/ AWD and resale market sentiment has changed last few years as most of the SUVs that were imported are FWD (Vezel/ CRV). In fact Vezel 2WD is easier to sell and in the CRV it does not make any difference. On larger SUVs like the Sorento AWD fetch premium (most of the time you can recover what you paid for AWD initially)

I'm not disputing advantage of AWD even in the dry as it gives better balance in cornering, taking off on steep inclines, traction from standing start etc..  They some times have better rear suspension setup multi-link vs basic which also improve handling and ride.

But how many of average driver make use of this, most of the SUVs in SL are bought for their perceived status, driving position and the ride height to manage the bad roads. They never go off road not even on grass. 

...and another case where the actual use, practicality of the car is overridden by cheap looks and the fuel misers get their hands on it.

The thing is...with AWD systems present these days....no one knows that it actually gets used because it is not for just going off road. Average drivers if they have it do use it...it is just they never realize that they do. Even starting off from a stand still at a traffic light the system does kick in...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Klord said:

Why not try a Suzuki Vitara? If you can stretch your budget a bit. Its a well known vehicle for decades and a proper SUV unlike Reize. 

The guy started off by saying he does not want a Vitara because of low resale value...which is why I said the whole stories of "no resale market value"is just utter rubbish that is spawned by car salesmen. This is exactly what they said about Mazdas until they started bringing in Hybrid Axelas....this is exactly what they have been saying about Daihatsu's until now when the Daihatsu comes with a Toyota badge on it. Even the Raize does not have parts in SL...so wth ???

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, iRage said:

The guy started off by saying he does not want a Vitara because of low resale value...which is why I said the whole stories of "no resale market value"is just utter rubbish that is spawned by car salesmen. This is exactly what they said about Mazdas until they started bringing in Hybrid Axelas....this is exactly what they say about Daihatsu's until now the Daihatsu comes with a Toyota badge on it. Even the Raize does not have parts in SL...so wth ???

Oh sorry, I might have overlooked it. But isnt Daihatsu also Japanese? Since its a Toyota subsidiary, what makes them inferior to Toyotas?

@TDS
Suggest considering Vitara as an option if you are really looking for a SUV type of vehicle. I fully understand your situation as you are going to invest your hard earned money for your first car. I went through the same dilemma couple of months back. 

To be honest, I myself would have considered Vitara if I knew well about it before I got my Civic. They both belong to the same price bracket, but Civic has more power and luxury compared to Vitara. Vitara in the other hand has the much needed ground clearance which is critical for Sri lankan conditions (I have already had 3 incidents where bottom of the car got hit, within 4 months since I bought my car). Fortunately or unfortunately Vitara did not appear in any of the discussions I had regarding my hunt for a car. Just sharing my opinion. :)

• Thanks 1

if an 'SUV' is what you have in mind just wait until the car actually gets here - from what pics I saw the interior is actually smallish. I get your dilemma - there could be a tax-hike and you want to secure the car ASAP but it's 5 Mil we're talking about so better wait till  a few units get here and you have an actual look at it. Also turbo charged small engines are not that fuel efficient (CHR,MG Zs, Civic etc) 

• Thanks 1

Dude don’t go counting on the fact the car will hold its value or appreciate in the ages to come, it’s not the 80s and 90s, the competition is more, govt. taxation’s will change, generations change, forex will change.

buy a vehicle by coming to terms on the fact that it will depreciate or you ll go mad if something happens and 2nd hand markets drop. Vehicles rarely will appreciate in the given market, even the raize, it’s a brand new model, SriLankans will flood this island with them, abuse them, bring in wrecks for cheap, they ll produce the model for at least 3 more years then maybe a facelift and another 2 years, so we ll have them here like three wheelers, it won’t hold value, nor will it appreciate, being 1000cc we won’t see them doing 500,000km like an old pajero, so understand the market a bit more, this applies to any car in the given trend.

Edited by tiv
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Klord said:

Oh sorry, I might have overlooked it. But isnt Daihatsu also Japanese? Since its a Toyota subsidiary, what makes them inferior to Toyotas?

@TDS

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Daihatsu....in Japan Daihatsu is the highest selling kei car manufacturer and they have been so for a long time. They have not made any large cars for awhile as they just borrowed the large cars from Toyota.

In Sri Lanka, Daihatsus were given a bad name thanks to the car salesmen (parts naha...pickup madi..etc...stories) and in all fairness some models (not all) did not fair too well under local conditions, but even then I do believe it was mostly the little Charade (the 90s and 2000s one). But that was pretty much a failed model everywhere in the world. But cars like the Tanto and the Terios were pretty decent (except the latter was blacklisted by Sri Lankans because it did not do like 15kmpl with a 1.5L engine). THey did not have the refinement of larger brands like Toyota's starlet,Nissan's march, etc...but they were pretty good for what they were.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, matroska said:

Do you go offroading in that car :D ? 

1. I was stupid enough to trust my GFs space time awareness and drove the car over a small concrete puddle. Engine guard got damaged.

2. Dont even think of driving a CivicX on Kandalama lake bunt -_-

3. Had to drive over a small mud puddle at my fathers ancestral house. 

Now the lessons are learnt. I got adapted afterwards and bumps are automatically detected miles ahead. :angel-smiley-026:

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Klord said:

1. I was stupid enough to trust my GFs space time awareness and drove the car over a small concrete puddle. Engine guard got damaged.

Now the lessons are learnt. I got adapted afterwards and bumps are automatically detected miles ahead. :angel-smiley-026:

I here you, my Corolla Sport has only 135mm, you need to plan the route. negotiating the entry exit out of the road is the worse as there is either a hump, gradient too much etc.. 

This is the reason most of the buyers look for SUVs, just for the ground clearance nothing else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Klord said:

dude! you should see the road that leads to my house it's an unpaved gravel road which was fine but then a new house was constructed and the trucks damaged the road and then there were rains so now that road is basically an off road track and yet i manage fine - 

The Kandalama lake bunt - that's a bit of a b#### isn't it - been there in my Fit did you scrape the bottom there? Or can it be negotiated with a bit of slow driving? 

One place I know for sure the car will not be able to handle is that pit-like car park near SLECC and I've never gone there. I saw a Mazda 6 get scraped coming out of it - it wasn't pleasant.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, matroska said:

One place I know for sure the car will not be able to handle is that pit-like car park near SLECC and I've never gone there. I saw a Mazda 6 get scraped coming out of it - it wasn't pleasant.

Allion passed this test. :)

• Haha 1