• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Camry Hybrid Battery issue

PradeepGuns

Hi All,

I have a 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid with approximately 120K Kilometers. Recently, p0a80 error code comes under pending issues while scanning in the ordinary service.

I have been getting between 5 and 6 L/100KM and car is running smoothly without any sign. After full hybrid scan, I have received battery block 4 is not in correct voltage an need to replace it.

Would you please update changing block will solve this issue and how long it will last? Also I heard that we have to pay huge tax when we import hybrid battery and if it is true, any information about importing hybrid battery.

Regards,

Pradeep

Replaced my Prius battery at 398k rupees about 2 months ago at 120k  on the clock. As far as I know, cell/block replacement would not last, but I would keep it open for the experts to comment on.

At TL, got a quotation for 550k. So I went around and found Browns Hybrid care at Borella, in which they charge about 100k less for the same battery with 1 year/24k km warranty. 

I think Camry battery is pricier than mine. However, I would suggest to look around and check the prices as TL is significantly higher.

Hi Malkoba,

Thanks a lot for your feedback ..

One of my friends has  checked the same battery from Toyota, Melbourne and asked for 2850 AUD ( 310,000 rs) and had to pay shipping and Taxes myself .

The mechanic told me that he can rebuild the battery by swapping one block which contains two cells,  which cost 50,000 rs   with one year warranty.

TL has not yet told me the price for a brand new battery since it is out of stock 

Regards,

Pradeep

I think Brand new Camry battery will cost about 600k - 650k in SL. But it comes with a warranty so you are covered just in case. If you get the battery from AU, you are testing how lucky you are :). If you like, I can PM you a number so you can check the prices.

I was told by a mechanic in TL that just replacing the block would not last as it is the starting point point of battery degradation. Next you will have another block out of sync and then another, so you will end up paying more and spending more time in garages. Not to mention the stress knowing that battery gonna fail anytime when you are on a long journey. Believe me, I know how it feels. I was on a trip and at Nuwaraeliya when my dashboard started flashing.

Again, replacing cell vs replacing battery is open for experts to comment as I'm not an expert in any way on this matter. This is totally my own experience. I just went with replacement for the peace of mind.

• Like 2

You are absolutely correct and I can feel it .

Few hours ago TL messaged me and asked about 735k for brand new battery including installation charge. Anyhow it will take 8 weeks to get it to here since it is out of stock now. I'm trying to reduce little since they are not applied any discount on this price.

Please PM your contact and I'll check any luck with them.

Thanks,

4 hours ago, Malkoba said:

mechanic in TL that just replacing the block would not last as it is the starting point point of battery degradation. Next you will have another block out of sync and then another, so you will end up paying more and spending more time in garages.

absolutely correct. Not a good idea unless you just want to get rid of the car immediately after repair.

8 hours ago, PradeepGuns said:

TL has not yet told me the price for a brand new battery since it is out of stock 

Wow,out of stock? 

all the Prius imported around 2013~15 under tax breaks start giving battery troubles at the same time?

• Haha 1

Since your car is 2012 and most likely this is the original battery it is 7 years old and likely time for replacement, other cells will also fail sooner or later.

If you are planning to keep the car for few more years suggest you get a new one from Toyota Lanka with a warranty for peace of mind, this will help you in resale too.

If you spend a lot it is very unlikely that you will recover the cost short term in which case the cell replacement will be the most cost effective.