• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Dhaham

Dear Experts

I have a Toyota Vitz 2018 and I wish to Wash / clean it's engine compartment my self. (I get the inspection service done every 5000km at a workshop of a reputed automobile engineer; Not at a service station).

At A**o M*r*j, I have seen they are using a chemical called H2L (not H2O). They say that this chemical doesn't conduct electricity and therefore it will not damage an EFI engine.

A*W imports an engine degreaser called Sonax from Germany. I saw you tube videos of Sonax and according to those videos, they just spray Sonax degreaser in to engine and compartment, apply with a small brush and then WASH WITH RUNNING WATER. According to this video, washing engine with water is not harmful. 

I have observed that in my Vitz, at engine compartment, each and every wire coming into connecters, are going through small rubber bushes. I think this is to prevent water from entering in to connecters and sensors. So, according to my observation, washing engine with water can't damage it. So I expect your advises and comments regarding this.

Uhh...don't wash it ? 

Use compress air to blow off dust, etc...and then use a damp cloth or an engine wipe (the towels have a mild cleaner to remove some of the gunk, etc...) to wipe everything off.

If you must...use a steam cleaner with a directed nozzle to clean off some grime around the block, engine bay body, etc...but do not directly put it on the electronics/sensors/etc...

Engine degereases are intended for cleaning up heavy build up of gunk or oil leaks....using them on a plain engine surface and possibly getting them on rubber and electronic components is a bit over kill and it will spoil it. Also, most degreases require you to wash the degreaser off with water. Not a very wise thing to do. Also, the degreaser and the gunk is going to get on your drive way and it will be a pain to clean it up later on. 

So...clean engine = air compressor + damp cloth.

Edited by iRage
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I second that, water ad electricity don't mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNdXNU_Grm4

On 11/10/2019 at 11:24 PM, iRage said:

Uhh...don't wash it ? 

Use compress air to blow off dust, etc...and then use a damp cloth or an engine wipe (the towels have a mild cleaner to remove some of the gunk, etc...) to wipe everything off.

If you must...use a steam cleaner with a directed nozzle to clean off some grime around the block, engine bay body, etc...but do not directly put it on the electronics/sensors/etc...

Engine degereases are intended for cleaning up heavy build up of gunk or oil leaks....using them on a plain engine surface and possibly getting them on rubber and electronic components is a bit over kill and it will spoil it. Also, most degreases require you to wash the degreaser off with water. Not a very wise thing to do. Also, the degreaser and the gunk is going ot get on your drive way and it will be again to clean it up later on. 

So...clean engine = air compressor + damp cloth.

I still don't understand why you want to wash the engine, most of the garages service stations wash it because owners expect them to do so.

Get a blower just blow off the dust, wipe the stubborn stuff with a wet cloth. If you have grease or grime apply bit of petrol to a cloth and wipe off.

If really soiled may be you can look at the options given above.

5 hours ago, kush said:

I still don't understand why you want to wash the engine, most of the garages service stations wash it because owners expect them to do so.

Get a blower just blow off the dust, wipe the stubborn stuff with a wet cloth. If you have grease or grime apply bit of petrol to a cloth and wipe off.

If really soiled may be you can look at the options given above.

Yes, all service stations do wash engine. But I'm not sure whether they follow correct method and / or use proper material. 

I have seen some service stations spray kerosene to wash the engine. 

A*t* M*r*j uses a chemical called H2L (Not H2O) which doesn't conduct electricity according to them.

Are H2L or kerosene suitable for this?

Is it ok to use WD40 to clean the engine as shown in the above video?

I prefer to do this type of things myself because, most of the workers who wash cars in service stations in Sri Lanka, are uneducated laborers. I have seen some times, when the brake oil level is in the "Max" level, they top up, up to the lid. Same thing happen for battery electrolyte level. When they do underwash, some times they use pointed nozzle instead of 40 degrees nozzle and keep the pressure gun very close to the under carriage. Yes it will remove mud completely. But it will remove the protective coating of under carriage as well. When tightening wheel nuts, almost all times, they use very high torque (using a long galvanized bar) than than required. That is how they break wheel bolt. We never can find professional car washers, plumbers, masons,  electricians, carpenters etc. in Sri Lanka.  So, I prefer to do every possible things myself.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I totally agree with (D) Daham.

Most of our service stations do lot of mistakes are due to not having proper training. I agree with, those who suggest to, blow and wipe off if any grease, oil marks and dust visible on the engine and engine bay. This is the best to do without washing with any liquid or water.

I change in my vehicle oil every 5000 Kilo meters. With the help of my staff., Wash the undercarriage once a year never spray oil on to the undercarriage. The pressure on the gun I reduce to minimum. If I do lot of dusty and muddy roads then I do a High Pressure wash.

K/P at Dehiwala was the first auto detailing service establishment started in our country, year 1988. Almost 30 years ago, most workers who were working there have started car cleaning and service establishments. C/P proprietor was trained in Japan he is well trained person who created this industry in Sri Lanka, which is well established today, In all parts of the country. They all use modern equipment for this industry. Very profitable industry good for young people.

Government should start a training programs round the country to train our young generation to be fully trained in car auto detailing. With certificate issued. Because more new cars are imported to our country and we have to look for new people who are skilled to handle modern vehicles for long years of road use.

Sylvester Wijesinghe.

Sylvi. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I have never washed the engine compartment but I am planning to sell my car soon so I took it to https://atfulldrive.com/best-foam-cannon last week and they did it for me. Now it looks so good that I am having second thoughts about selling. I have a friend who is a mechanic and he suggested not to wash the engine compartment when trying to sell as the potential buyer could think that you are trying to hide leaks from him. I see the logic of it but considering that people who buy second cars are not all mechanics I don't think that a dirty engine can attract many buyers.

Edited by Kattedjiron