• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Axio - Sound when making a right turn

herap

Question

I have a Toyota Axio 2014 hybrid which has done about 36K km. My vehicle is making a weird clunking sound when accelerating while making a right turn. It doesn't happen all the time though. Accelerating without turning makes no sound and also just making a right turn without stepping on the accelerator makes no sound. It's only when making a turn and accelerating at the same time the sound is heard. Anyone else has faced this issue or have an idea about it? Also anyone know of any good place to get this checked out near Kotte area?

Thanks in advance.

7 answers to this question

Some makes and models have premature cv joint wear, sometime back we had a cr51 (Noah 4wd), needed new joints every 30000 odd. 

To the best of my knowledge, a bad CV joint doesn't necessarily have to be changed urgently, depending on the condition. I first noticed the 'kata kata' sounds ? as well when taking a right u-turn (I turn steering all the way to make the turn in one go), maybe about 5 'katas' in a turn. Upon inspection we found a ruptured CV boot on left side, I was adviced that replacing the boot would help prevent it getting worse, so i went with that for now since i could manage my aggressive turns.

Later, during a more thorough service we noticed damage on the steering rack and had that repaired. Since then I've hardly noticed the sound anymore.

You can find videos on Google so you can ID the sound of really bad CV Joints, it's a LOT of 'katas' ?, and even on small turns. If the sound is from CV joint then don't worry about it, you will definitely KNOW when to change it as the noise starts to get annoying, check out Google for reference.

Edited by Monkey King Stu