• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

[URGENT] Coolant hose leak

AVANTE

Question

I went out for a 10 minute drive, and by the time I park & switched off the engine, I hear the fan come on & a slight hiss. Opened the hood to find out coolant being sprayed from the hose, near the clamp... quickly switched off the car and the spraying/leaking stopped.

Some google searches tells me the clamp might have deteriorated and that it's good to change to a screw-type clamp. But I just want to double check as I'm DIYing this one. Had changed a clamp in my bike's radiator before but this one sounds a bit different.

So, new clamp or new hose??

20191104_154057.jpg

8 answers to this question

These clamps are the best in my experience. To me it looks like the hose is deteriorated, or the metal coolant line has rusted at the end, causing a small gap between the rubber and metal hoses. 

Take the hose off the metal coolant line and inspect the end. There should be a small lip on the metal line which may have rusted. Post a pic if you can.

Do you have water in the system and not coolant? If yes, that explains the rust. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll inspect and see whats up. And it was a mix of coolant & water. But I forgot to inspect the coolant before buying the car (it was mostly water) so we changed that once we bought it. But it seems the damage has been done.

Edited by □AVANTE□

22 hours ago, □AVANTE□ said:

I'll inspect and see whats up. And it was a mix of coolant & water. But I forgot to inspect the coolant before buying the car (it was mostly water) so we changed that once we bought it. But it seems the damage has been done

3 hours ago, □AVANTE□ said:

Hi, @Davy & @tiv...so I removed the hose and got a new one too. Clamps all right. The metal part has badly rusted like Davy said. Before I put on the new hose, what should I do?

20191105_084710.jpg

check if you still have the lip on the pipe, if it’s rusted away I suggest to get one either pressed in / brass welded or get a new pipe done, via a lathe

9617207E-7821-43E8-A481-C084F34BBC31.thumb.jpeg.1224979656084787881f503d38daf480.jpeg

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, □AVANTE□ said:

Hi, @Davy & @tiv...so I removed the hose and got a new one too. Clamps all right. The metal part has badly rusted like Davy said. Before I put on the new hose, what should I do?

Yeah that's gone by the looks. 

You can get one fabricated quite easily for cheap. Back when I was restoring my Lancer A72, I had all my hard coolant lines fabricated in Chrome. Never rusted after that and looked awesome! :) 

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I have heard of hose fabrication somewhere in Colombo, a buddy with a Glanza V did his hosing in silicon IIRC. Can you suggest a place davy? If so what is the cost I should expect for a full hose set fabrication?

Also, are those 'universal/flexible chrome hoses' for like $25 in ebay reliable?? Or is it trash like those $500 ebay turbo kits? Tbh I find it hard to trust.

Edited by □AVANTE□