• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mitsubishi Lancer GL 1993 CB8A Gearbox Upgrade

Vikum Samarasinghe

Question

Hello everyone. I have a mitsubishi lancer 1993 body type CB8A and engine 4D68. I have recently done an engine tuneup and performance tuneup. My vehicle has manual 5 speed transmission and i need any advice from you all about upgrading manual transmission to automatic transmission. Which automatic gearbox suits my engine ? My vehicles 4D68 Engine is non turbo diesel one. Later came a model in 1994 which had 4D68 Turbo engine with automatic transmission. Any advice would be helpful.

20191031_150420.jpg

Edited by Vikum Samarasinghe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Vikum Samarasinghe said:

Hello everyone. I have a mitsubishi lancer 1993 body type CB8A and engine 4D68. I have recently done an engine tuneup and performance tuneup. My vehicle has manual 5 speed transmission and i need any advice from you all about upgrading manual transmission to automatic transmission. Which automatic gearbox suits my engine ? My vehicles 4D68 Engine is non turbo diesel one. Later came a model in 1994 which had 4D68 Turbo engine with automatic transmission. Any advice would be helpful.

20191031_150600.jpg

20191031_150420.jpg

Unless you find a gearbox dead cheap, the cost of converting if done properly will be equal or more to buying an automatic car, also the day you plan to sell it, the word converted drops the value. Also getting a proper job done, finding all parts will be hard. 
not discouraging you but a better option will be to sell the car and move to an automatic model, 

Agree with @tiv on this one, selling the manual car and moving on to an auto would be economical. 

Converting an auto to a manual is much easier than the conversion you are looking for. There are plenty of places that do that. But I doubt places that do proper manual>auto conversion. So many things can go wrong and you might end up with an unusable car.

On 10/31/2019 at 6:36 PM, tiv said:

Unless you find a gearbox dead cheap, the cost of converting if done properly will be equal or more to buying an automatic car, also the day you plan to sell it, the word converted drops the value. Also getting a proper job done, finding all parts will be hard. 
not discouraging you but a better option will be to sell the car and move to an automatic model, 

Thank for the advice @tiv. I will look forward for your advice. There is a considerable meaning of your advice since the model is too old and if i need to convert manual gearbox to auto i also need to upgrade my radiator along with several modifications. So true it's a very hard job. Thx for informing.

On 10/31/2019 at 7:11 PM, alds said:

Agree with @tiv on this one, selling the manual car and moving on to an auto would be economical. 

Converting an auto to a manual is much easier than the conversion you are looking for. There are plenty of places that do that. But I doubt places that do proper manual>auto conversion. So many things can go wrong and you might end up with an unusable car.

Thank you also for your answer @alds. You are right these days its very hard find a proper mechanism who do such wok properly. Thx for the advice !!

Guys i need help. Do you know a better place for a diesel pump and injector calibrations ? Also i need to know whether there are good places to do a exhaust clean in my car ?

Thanks for all your ideas on gearbox upgrade. Now i'm getting used to my manual one and it's much effective against the automatic one i guess.

1 hour ago, Vikum Samarasinghe said:

Also i just repaired my car recently and now it's stunning in my view. Hoping to do few engine bay and body kit upgrades recently.

WP_20200319_16_00_28_Rich.jpg

Nice looking car. I had the petrol variant CB2A. It was my very first car. :)

RMZiKFw.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iRage said:

I hereby move to name this car Barney :) 

Looks nice and clean :) Its always a pleasure to see these cars in stock form. So many have been "modded"-out (really badly)

@iRage Yes. I have also seen some CB8 with over modification that doesn't suit them at all. Not hoping to do many modifications, I'm just hoping to add the Evolution 3 body kit to mine and a few engine modifications by replacing some parts like radiator, air intake system, etc.. for better performance. ??

38 minutes ago, hrm said:

Nice looking car. I had the petrol variant CB2A. It was my very first car. :)

RMZiKFw.jpg

@hrm Nice to see yours as well mate. Actually this was also the first permit car of my father and he bought it the year i was born. So now mine is in the similar age of me ? But among my dad's other 2 vehicles this one is my favorite and i'm now keeping it for myself. My father hasn't used the car for exceeding an overall of 100000KM in milege and now it's 1,08,000KM. I'm hoping to use it for several years and hoping to do some engine upgrades for better performance through JDM. Actually current performance is very good as i say toyota belta and most cars can't go face to face with this 2.0D Lancer guy ?

Thank you for sharing your experience with me mate ??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AVANTE said:

Yummy 90s goodness

@speed8@matroska@fiat fan

@Vikum Samarasinghe Drop everything. Evo Conversion. 

@AVANTE unleash thy evoness upon this young car guy. He shall have no sleep or peace untill he goes through it after our many ideas are unleashed on his naive self!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, fiat fan said:

@AVANTE unleash thy evoness upon this young car guy. He shall have no sleep or peace untill he goes through it after our many ideas are unleashed on his naive self!

Thank you @fiat fan I would like to. But not hoping to do any serious conversions since i'm doing these in my leisure times apart from studies. I'm hoping to do some upgrades to my engine section and add a body kit for better air flow cutting style. ??

22 minutes ago, fiat fan said:

She's perfect as she is. It's not like @Vikum Samarasinghe is going to do rally racing anytime soon.

@Vikum Samarasinghe Please don't drop her originality! We've too little unmodified factory-fresh Lancers as it is. Maybe some inconspicuous performance and handling upgrades... ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vikum Samarasinghe said:

@iRage Yes. I have also seen some CB8 with over modification that doesn't suit them at all. Not hoping to do many modifications, I'm just hoping to add the Evolution 3 body kit to mine and a few engine modifications by replacing some parts like radiator, air intake system, etc.. for better performance. ??

I would say drop the complete Evo body kit idea. It will be senseless for a diesel car :) (especially when the enthusiasts know that it is a diesel and not an actual conversion or anything).

Consider just the basics like side skirts, etc...even the front bumper would be a bit over the top unless you plan to put an inter cooler or something in there. Talking of which...Turbo charging her would be fun :). Also...lets talk about suspension upgrades :D..brakes ( with the additional power brought on by the turbo goodness)...then tires and wheels :D

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Vikum Samarasinghe said:

Also i just repaired my car recently and now it's stunning in my view. Hoping to do few engine bay and body kit upgrades recently.

Indeed it looks stunning - good to see the car in mint condition. Conversion wouldn't be too suited for a diesel so you can do a few mild mods and keep it mostly stock. Beautiful to see these cars time to time. NICE! 

• Like 1

Great car you have there. I agree with the others, stick to the original look and try to keep her in this state. That said it's your car so do what ever pleases you the most. Looking forward to see what you have in store for the future!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iRage said:

I would say drop the complete Evo body kit idea. It will be senseless for a diesel car :) (especially when the enthusiasts know that it is a diesel and not an actual conversion or anything).

Consider just the basics like side skirts, etc...even the front bumper would be a bit over the top unless you plan to put an inter cooler or something in there. Talking of which...Turbo charging her would be fun :). Also...lets talk about suspension upgrades :D..brakes ( with the additional power brought on by the turbo goodness)...then tires and wheels :D

@iRage I get the point that you are expressing mate. Thanks for that. Yes, It's a bit weird to see a diesel car with Evolution body kit since the engine sound is also high. But believe me i've been wondering few different ideas with the car and not intending to sell it. Might not be practical but i would like to try out some new concepts. Believe me the patrol version of this CB8 version is lower in performance than this diesel engine. One of my best mechanics told me that and even told me not to sell it ??

As for the Turbo option this engine got a turbo version naming 4D68T that i'm not very much familiar with. Wasn't hoping to do that due to the lack of time and lack of good mechanics ??

58 minutes ago, Vikum Samarasinghe said:

@iRage I get the point that you are expressing mate. Thanks for that. Yes, It's a bit weird to see a diesel car with Evolution body kit since the engine sound is also high. But believe me i've been wondering few different ideas with the car and not intending to sell it. Might not be practical but i would like to try out some new concepts. Believe me the patrol version of this CB8 version is lower in performance than this diesel engine. One of my best mechanics told me that and even told me not to sell it ??

As for the Turbo option this engine got a turbo version naming 4D68T that i'm not very much familiar with. Wasn't hoping to do that due to the lack of time and lack of good mechanics ??

Uhh...what do you mean by performance ? Because the 4D68 had only about 90hp..which is pretty much the same as any 1500cc car during its day. Being a diesel it would have had a bit more low end torque than petrol variant. Being a diesel engine it probably is a bit more frugal than the petrol. So not really sure what your mechanic said about performing better than a petrol variant. 

I suggested the turbo charging because of the turbo variant.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vikum Samarasinghe said:

Guys i need help. Do you know a better place for a diesel pump and injector calibrations ? Also i need to know whether there are good places to do a exhaust clean in my car ?

Thanks for all your ideas on gearbox upgrade. Now i'm getting used to my manual one and it's much effective against the automatic one i guess.

@Vikum Samarasinghe D*MO should be able to help set your pump & injectors - those are good parts to work on when trying to eke out performance gains on an old diesel

When you say improve performance, is there anything specifically lacking?

Unless there are specific points you are trying to address making changes to the components you have mentioned will not make your car faster if that's what you're looking to improve when you say 'performance'

I know it's your car and not ours but it's so nice to see an original looking car

Playing dress up is going to detract from the value of your car

Also don't forget, adding a body kit means adding weight which in turn will only slow your car down

Agreeing to what @Devinda_Z had mentioned....if you do want a body kit...see what side skirts and lip was offered for the standard CB. That would keep the stock look and and still add that little detail that makes it stand out. 

Performance wise...I seriously doubt you can get much power out of that engine...yes the injectors and stuff would help...but it is not going to add a massive power boost (unless the car out of the factory had been severely restricted) if you look in to handling..then you can always do upgrades to the suspension....however..please do not just drop in short springs and strut bars...it will just kill the nice ride comfort. Please pay attention to spring rates and damper stroke length. Make sure you get something that will enable you to set the proper camber as well. If you just drop it (too much)...then the camber will be off with the stock arms and the inner side of your tires and wallet will hate you for it :D

i-spankey 1993 Mitsubishi Lancer 26586880032_original

15 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

@Vikum Samarasinghe D*MO should be able to help set your pump & injectors - those are good parts to work on when trying to eke out performance gains on an old diesel

When you say improve performance, is there anything specifically lacking?

Unless there are specific points you are trying to address making changes to the components you have mentioned will not make your car faster if that's what you're looking to improve when you say 'performance'

I know it's your car and not ours but it's so nice to see an original looking car

Playing dress up is going to detract from the value of your car

Also don't forget, adding a body kit means adding weight which in turn will only slow your car down

@Devinda_Z Thank you for the information and i will look forward to it. When you mention D*MO, can i know a little more about their services including their service stations, where do they available, how about the quality of their parts ?

Hmm. Yes, you have a point of not adding the body kit and i highly consider it. Thank you.

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Agreeing to what @Devinda_Z had mentioned....if you do want a body kit...see what side skirts and lip was offered for the standard CB. That would keep the stock look and and still add that little detail that makes it stand out. 

Performance wise...I seriously doubt you can get much power out of that engine...yes the injectors and stuff would help...but it is not going to add a massive power boost (unless the car out of the factory had been severely restricted) if you look in to handling..then you can always do upgrades to the suspension....however..please do not just drop in short springs and strut bars...it will just kill the nice ride comfort. Please pay attention to spring rates and damper stroke length. Make sure you get something that will enable you to set the proper camber as well. If you just drop it (too much)...then the camber will be off with the stock arms and the inner side of your tires and wallet will hate you for it :D

i-spankey 1993 Mitsubishi Lancer 26586880032_original

@iRage When i mention the performance, i didn't compare it with patrol engines over 1800cc or 2000cc. Yes. I intended about patrol engine with engine capacity of 1200cc to 1600cc. Lancer goes very well with them since i have driven several other patrol vehicles even it is this much old.

About my mechanic he is an expert in patrol engine not diesel ones and that's why he was much pleased after driving this car for several days during it's engine mount replacements. I will give up on the body kit idea because of all the information provided by you guys. Still have some engine modifications through ??

Regarding your side skirts and lip for the original CB8, I was actually hoping for those and a spoiler. But it's pretty hard to find those came for the original design. Do you know a better place to look and what about the spoiler, does that also affect the solid look ? Give me your ideas.