• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

FD1 Vs GP1

B@tman

I know these are vastly different cars, but hear me out...

I'm planning to buy a car for around 3-3.3 million, and I have narrowed down my options to these two. 

FD1 - I've had an eye on this car for a long time. I've driven a few on rent, and I love his car for it's power, sunroof and pedal shift options. The problem are: 

1. Finding one. The few which are out there are advertised for ridiculous prices. Others are abused and most of them have clocked over 200k

2 Fuel cost.  Now I'm not a typical "fuel" guy. My previous car was a civic (ES1) and it did about 11 KM/L on average, which I was more than happy about. But I can only hope for about 6 KM/L with an FD1, which will add up to around 30K per month for fuel alone. So that's something I have to consider  

GP1 -  My friend had one. I have driven his car. It's fun to drive, handles really well.

I wasn't planning on buying  this initially, but I saw the going prices for these cars while browsing and I felt like it's good value for money. (I think I can get a decent one for 2.7 mil)

I know there is an oil burning issue with some chassis numbers, but I'm confident I can find one out of that recall range.

So my thoughts are, even though I always wanted an FD1, and my heart skips a beat every time I see one pass me on the road, I feel like GP1 is a sensible option in this market. It's a practical car with decent fuel economy which is also no slouch on the road. 

What I'm worried about is that I'm a hybrid virgin :P. I haven't owned a hybrid before, and I don't know what additional complications an old Hybrid might bring. (I'm assuming I'll have to change the hybrid battery at some point? and that's about it?) I don't want to be that guy who bought an old hybrid to save money and ended up spending more. So I wold be super grateful if anyone who has experience in using these or similar cars can help me out with your advises/ experiences. 

Hey welcome to the forum. As an ex- GP1 owner I can say it really is a nice car and you get a LOT for what you pay...it has practical written all over it - economical to run as well.  at 2.7 it's a steal you can't get that feature set, the practicality for that price - even if you do  spend money and fix the oil burn issue. I sometimes still miss my old car 

BUT 

2 hours ago, B@tman said:

and my heart skips a beat every time I see one pass me

this is what's important - you seem to be a car guy and this sort of matters - drive what you like.The FD1 is a different class of car . You are going to enjoy driving this (not that the GP1 is boring to drive )

So here's the thing - why don't you go see both cars for a while try to hitch a good FD1 - keep the GP1 as a backup option if you fail to find a good FD1....give the civic the priority:  it's a matter of smiles per liter vs miles per liter.

Happy Hunting. 

Edited by matroska
Punctuation matters
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Well said @matroska!

In an age where we are forced to buy boring bread loaves & appliances with wheels on them, this may be our last chance to enjoy a bit of the motoring experience before the cars become unsellable, financial burdens. Also, is there a permanent solution for the GP1 oil issue?

Be patient with your search and hope you find the perfect ride! @B@tman :bud:

Edited by □AVANTE□
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, □AVANTE□ said:

Also, is there a permanent solution for the GP1 oil issue

AL forum members, and a friend of mine who have fixed the issue have not got it again for about a year...my friend still uses the car to date and is quite happy with it. 

Well, I would agree with @matroska on GP1 being a very practical and economical car. The oil burning issue can be permanently fixed by replacing the faulty parts with the ones carrying the new design (the particular thread in AutoLanka has all the info you need :) ). And the GP1 being a hybrid with Honda's IMA system it is a fairly simple hybrid system and comparatively less issues. Even the batteries have held up pretty well when compared to their Toyota counterparts (Aquas).

I myself is an owner of a 12 year old Civic FD3 for the past 3 years and haven't had any issues with regard to the hybrid system (the previous owner had replaced the hybrid battery prior to selling the car).

If your heart is sealed for an FD1 go for it as it will put a smile on your face when your behind the wheel :)

You might want to consider the FD3 as it offers a mix of both worlds. Don't expect it to be quick as a FD1 but, it is no slouch either. The car carries a combined output of 110hp which is equal to a NA 1.5l gasoline engine and the electric torque would give you quick acceleration. (the hybrid battery should be in good health though otherwise the petrol engine alone would make the car under-powered). Also the fuel figures aren't fantastic for a hybrid but if you manage to drive with a light right foot it would give you figures of 10kmpl to 13kmpl under moderate traffic conditions. On long drives it would yield north of 15kmpl.

Happy hunting :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm also looking for FD1, but it's very rare to find a good one. I inspect a car today (29/10/2019). From Car Checks. The overall score is 86.7. Actually it's a pretty good value for 13 years old car. But my only concern is, this beauty is leaking oil from the tranny and rack. :(  I'm so desperate now 

10 minutes ago, ICL said:

I'm also looking for FD1, but it's very rare to find a good one. I inspect a car today (29/10/2019). From Car Checks. The overall score is 86.7. Actually it's a pretty good value for 13 years old car. But my only concern is, this beauty is leaking oil from the tranny and rack. :(  I'm so desperate now 

Why not a FD4? There were 1st owner agent maintained cars for sale not long ago

7 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

There was a Lancer ex for 3.3mil yesterday on the quick site yesterday but looks like its been sold ?

I saw it, and also went yesterday evening to see the car. but how unlucky me, When I call today, the car has been sold:(

Edited by ICL
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Hyaenidae said:

They say good things come to those who wait ? keep an eye on FDs and EXs and when an offer like that pops up go check it out post-haste ?

haa haa that's true. Thanks, mate :) Much appreciate you comments

On 10/28/2019 at 6:45 PM, Dee Jay said:

Well, I would agree with @matroska on GP1 being a very practical and economical car. The oil burning issue can be permanently fixed by replacing the faulty parts with the ones carrying the new design (the particular thread in AutoLanka has all the info you need :) ). And the GP1 being a hybrid with Honda's IMA system it is a fairly simple hybrid system and comparatively less issues. Even the batteries have held up pretty well when compared to their Toyota counterparts (Aquas).

I myself is an owner of a 12 year old Civic FD3 for the past 3 years and haven't had any issues with regard to the hybrid system (the previous owner had replaced the hybrid battery prior to selling the car).

If your heart is sealed for an FD1 go for it as it will put a smile on your face when your behind the wheel :)

You might want to consider the FD3 as it offers a mix of both worlds. Don't expect it to be quick as a FD1 but, it is no slouch either. The car carries a combined output of 110hp which is equal to a NA 1.5l gasoline engine and the electric torque would give you quick acceleration. (the hybrid battery should be in good health though otherwise the petrol engine alone would make the car under-powered). Also the fuel figures aren't fantastic for a hybrid but if you manage to drive with a light right foot it would give you figures of 10kmpl to 13kmpl under moderate traffic conditions. On long drives it would yield north of 15kmpl.

Happy hunting :)

I can vouch for the FD3 as well. I used a 2011 model car for 6 years and 125000km and it gave very little trouble other than regular maintenance (hybrid battery was replaced under warranty when it was imported. Replacement battery was still good after 100000km on it by the time I sold the car).

Between FD3 and GP1, the FD3 has better handling, driving experience and comfort. GP1 has better fuel economy and reduced hybrid battery wear. I would actually put the FD3 above the FD1 and FD4 when it comes to initial acceleration thanks to the electric motor and the instantly available torque. 

However, the FD3 would be a viable investment only if the OP runs 1500+km per month. As mentioned it's not built for saving fuel as Aquas and Priuses do. It is also not a good vehicle to have parked around which is a primary cause for its hybrid battery issues. @op If you run high miles per month, seriously consider the FD3.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 9:56 PM, Hyaenidae said:

They say good things come to those who wait ? keep an eye on FDs and EXs and when an offer like that pops up go check it out post-haste ?

Finally, I bought an FD 1(Red Color).  I'm pretty happy with it. :D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2019 at 3:15 PM, ICL said:

Thanks mate, what is your situation?

Still looking ?

It's been frustrating man. Contemplating buying one I already checked and turned down (It needed a considerable amount of maintenance work) and doing all the work myself (granted the owner reduces the asking price). 

• 4 weeks later...