• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Accident Repair - Honda Civic 2018

Klord

I am baffled by the cost of the gas. R1234yf costs 60K + for a full refill. Was there a leak in the condenser? 

Also nose cut panel- I assume that's the left fender. It didn't look damaged in the first pic and could have easily have been repaired if so?

1 hour ago, RWD said:

I am baffled by the cost of the gas. R1234yf costs 60K + for a full refill. 

Yes, I'm surprised that they filled up gas at a cost of 4,500/=. Better to make sure if they filled the correct gas as RWD said

18 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

What would happen if they've used r134a instead of r1234yf?

Actually I don't know. I read in a couple of posts in the forum that even Stafford didn't have it initially.But, since the manufacturer has used that, there might be some incompatibility right?

Otherwise everyone could fill-up using the cheaper gas if there is no issue with it ne?

19 hours ago, Quiet said:

As per photos Your bonnet and front buffer fit is imperfect. You may have issues when selling the car some day as it clearly indicate an accident.

I spoke with VT*EC and they agreed to fix them if there is an issue. Car is at home at the moment, will go home and check and take her back to workshop to rectify imperfections. 

19 hours ago, RWD said:

I am baffled by the cost of the gas. R1234yf costs 60K + for a full refill. Was there a leak in the condenser? 

Also nose cut panel- I assume that's the left fender. It didn't look damaged in the first pic and could have easily have been repaired if so?

They informed about the gas issue over the phone. Even though they have put the bill as 4500/=, they have actually used r-1234f. Apparently they have made a mistake initially when doing cost estimation, but did not went on to correct it with insurance as its gonna take a long process. Think they have charged it somewhere else in the bill. (will verify this properly once I meet them).

Thank you for all the responses.

Bottom-line, drive with care & dont trust women! Lessons learnt the hard way. :rolleyes: 

20 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

What would happen if they've used r134a instead of r1234yf?

R1234yf from my understanding was introduced to promote better efficiency and thereby reduce harm to the atmosphere further. Systems designed for R1234yf are backward compatible with R134a, so no physical damage to the AC system or compressor. This however needs to be checked against each manufacturer's advice because the two behave slightly differently when under pressure.

In many countries, putting R134a into a system that has R1234yf is against the law. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

// Status Update, ?

So I took the car back to VT*C and raised my concerns regarding the bonnet alignment and A/C. Here is a small update.  

Bonnet:

They did some nut loosening & tightening on the hinges and fixed the alignment on the front side. But later when I came home only I realized that, now the gap between the side fender and bonnet in the driver side is larger than the passenger side.

Is it possible to align the bonnet properly through a DYI project, or will I mess up the situation more?  I am not confident on their service anymore and thinking of taking the car to another body repair shop if required, your suggestions are highly appreciated regarding the matter.

A/C:

VT*EC manager agreed to check the A/C again but said that he will have to take the car to another place where they do A/C repairs. Since I didn’t have time that day, I said I will come back on another day. Later that day, I took the car to a friendly A/C workshop near my home. He checked the gas pressure and told me that it is lower than the recommended. I asked if he can fix it and he said, he will have to flush the remaining gas out from the system before pumping r1234fy again as some crook Sri Lankan workshops add the r134a instead of the recommended gas. He said it is not good to mix the 2 gasses. If I am to pump the original gas again through another A/C workshop, it will cost some 50k LKR. Or I can trust VT*EC and let them fix it. Wondering what I should do. ?

Edited by Klord

f**king hell, reading this story just now. I really feel sorry for you @Klord. But sadly this is the reality of most repair shops in our country. I bet they acted up when you pointed out the imperfections.Not covering the wheels and windshield is a common mistake these buggers do. Ive had this experience with Auto Miraj where I got a repair done to the rear bumper of my previous lancer there were paint residue were left all over the rear windshield. It was very visible as the glass was tinted black. So when I confronted them on this matter, they were surprisingly annoyed but removed the paint using soap water and sand paper. Needless to say there were few scratch marks left like what you have got in yours at the end.

One of my friends had a similar experience there where they painted a door while the windows were open, his car had paint residue all over inside. These things are hard to believe but actually happening. Once another reputed place named Mr Paint charged a friend of mine for a bumper replacement when they actually had just repaired the bumper. My friend who had a hunch about this asked them to remove the bumper and proved their fraud by posting out a marks left inside of a previously done repair.

These panel adjustments can be done by tightening the bolts and nuts but it should be done precisely to prevent unusual alignment issues. Id like to suggest you go back to them (vtec) and get the panel alignment corrected. If they couldn't do it properly that means their repair has issues. So you can get it corrected by them. Also get the dripped paint polished (removed) by them plus cleaning the wheels. Don't leave the car there, get it done while you are there. Don't go alone, take someone with you who can talk and who knows these things.

Show them the damage done to the windscreen as well.Most probably they won't do anything about it, but tell them that you are willing to public if they fail to fix these issues properly. This is the thing with these reputed places, when they gain the business volumes they tend to neglect the small things and value for the work they are doing and become somewhat robotic at the job.

One last thing, don't publish your personal info on the net, so may I suggest covering the number plate in your photos. 

Hope you get the issues properly, almost forgot about the AC, get the VTEC to correct it as well. Don't avoid them cuz you are uncomfortable with confronting them again and again. Its their duty to do the repair correctly and do justice for the amount they've charged (which by the way is an exorbitant price). 

Cheers!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Try to find the workshop manual, it has extensive details on adjusting the bonnet

Decided to go back to the workshop once more and see what they can do. If not, will go for a DIY project with the help of my father. Lets see. :)

7 hours ago, trinity said:

f**king hell, reading this story just now. I really feel sorry for you @Klord. But sadly this is the reality of most repair shops in our country. I bet they acted up when you pointed out the imperfections.Not covering the wheels and windshield is a common mistake these buggers do. Ive had this experience with Auto Miraj where I got a repair done to the rear bumper of my previous lancer there were paint residue were left all over the rear windshield. It was very visible as the glass was tinted black. So when I confronted them on this matter, they were surprisingly annoyed but removed the paint using soap water and sand paper. Needless to say there were few scratch marks left like what you have got in yours at the end.

One of my friends had a similar experience there where they painted a door while the windows were open, his car had paint residue all over inside. These things are hard to believe but actually happening. Once another reputed place named Mr Paint charged a friend of mine for a bumper replacement when they actually had just repaired the bumper. My friend who had a hunch about this asked them to remove the bumper and proved their fraud by posting out a marks left inside of a previously done repair.

These panel adjustments can be done by tightening the bolts and nuts but it should be done precisely to prevent unusual alignment issues. Id like to suggest you go back to them (vtec) and get the panel alignment corrected. If they couldn't do it properly that means their repair has issues. So you can get it corrected by them. Also get the dripped paint polished (removed) by them plus cleaning the wheels. Don't leave the car there, get it done while you are there. Don't go alone, take someone with you who can talk and who knows these things.

Show them the damage done to the windscreen as well.Most probably they won't do anything about it, but tell them that you are willing to public if they fail to fix these issues properly. This is the thing with these reputed places, when they gain the business volumes they tend to neglect the small things and value for the work they are doing and become somewhat robotic at the job.

One last thing, don't publish your personal info on the net, so may I suggest covering the number plate in your photos. 

Hope you get the issues properly, almost forgot about the AC, get the VTEC to correct it as well. Don't avoid them cuz you are uncomfortable with confronting them again and again. Its their duty to do the repair correctly and do justice for the amount they've charged (which by the way is an exorbitant price). 

Cheers!

Thanks @trinity for the words. I am going to the workshop again tomorrow with a friend of mine. Hopefully I will be able to get this sorted out tomorrow itself. I kind of have a little bit of OCD, so these minor imperfections are annoying me all the time.

Already had several heated arguments with my GF because of this. :punish:
Hopefully I will be able to get this sorted out tomorrow itself. Will keep you guys updated. Cheers !!! 

• 3 weeks later...

Status Update:

Sorry I couldn't provide an update regarding the matter eariler. Was busy with year end mayhem.  ?

I took the car to VT*C on December 6th and got the bonnet hood aligned properly. But could not get the A/C fixed as their tech guy was not available on that day. Just before leaving the workshop, I noticed a small dent in the bonnet hood. Its almost unnoticeable for the naked eye, but when the light get reflected, it could be seen from some angles. I dont know how it occurred. Could be due to a fault from mechanics when trying to fix the hood. I showed it to the manager and he agreed to fix that as well, but said that they will have to repaint the whole bonnet hood again ?. Since I ave promised the car for a wedding , I could not put it to another paint work on that. 

Anyways, last Saturday, I took it back to the workshop and asked them to fix it. Will see how it goes. This whole thing has become a nuisance to me. But should appreciate the cooperation of VT*C staff. Though job is imperfect and has faults, the manager and other staff showed genuine interest to sort them out. 

Hopefully, by tomorrow, I would be able to get the car back. Just before the Christmas! 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 4:33 PM, Klord said:

Already had several heated arguments with my GF because of this. :punish:

I' don't know about your family dynamics and it's not my place to advise you,  but I can tell you that arguing with a partner over an accident is not worth it. Cars, no matter how precious they are to us,  are replaceable. People that are close to you may not be. Just my two cents.

Did you by any chance check if VTEC had changed the cars number plate covers to those that have their branding? They did this to me without asking (both front and back and the existing ones were perfectly fine) and I wasn't fond of it. I only noticed it after a couple of days after taking the car home. One disadvantage of having these plates is that VTEC motors brand is somewhat associated with accident repairs. So people might assume your car went through a massive accident even when it didn't.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Status Update __

After visiting V-T*C about a dozen time, leaving the car there for 3 times, finally the issue is (almost) resolved. The bonnet is now (almost) properly aligned. Still there is a slight misalignment which is only noticeable for a person with mild OCD like me. Dont think they can do it any better, so I am going to learn to live with it. ?

Thinking of installing a bonnet lip to ease up the mental trauma. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-16-18-Honda-Civic-Front-Hood-Bonnet-Lip-Molding-Cover-Trim-Bar-Matte-Black-/273424354544

Anyhow, thank you very much for all the valuable feedback and suggestions provided to me in the times of chaos. ?

On 12/23/2019 at 5:16 PM, ramishkad said:

I' don't know about your family dynamics and it's not my place to advise you,  but I can tell you that arguing with a partner over an accident is not worth it. Cars, no matter how precious they are to us,  are replaceable. People that are close to you may not be. Just my two cents.

Did you by any chance check if VTEC had changed the cars number plate covers to those that have their branding? They did this to me without asking (both front and back and the existing ones were perfectly fine) and I wasn't fond of it. I only noticed it after a couple of days after taking the car home. One disadvantage of having these plates is that VTEC motors brand is somewhat associated with accident repairs. So people might assume your car went through a massive accident even when it didn't

Thank you for the comment brother. I fully agree on this. And I checked the number plate covers, they are still the old ones. Perhaps after your incident, they might have opted not to change plate covers without owners consent. 

TLDR about V-T*C

They are okey for Sri lankan standards, but far from being perfect. I have no idea whether we have a body repair shop in Sri lanka which does perfect repairs. Doubtful even official agents can do it. 

Glad that you were able to finally sort out matters with them.. But, since they are charging us a thumping amount they should be responsible and should pay attention to detail more than that.

But, sadly the thing in Sri Lanka is skilled labour in this area is minimal and the shops are using under-skilled workers who do shoddy jobs like that and in the end we owners have to undergo the hassle and learn to live with that :(

Thing to note is to have a proper look at the work performed prior to collecting the vehicle after a collision repair and to get them to correct the issues that can be noticed to the naked eye before making the payment.

Maybe the agents do a quality job as they should have trained workers in their body shops..

19 minutes ago, Quiet said:

Mazda agents did a perfect job when my car was rear ended with a hefty bill of 355K. there were no issues when selling as well. I even disclosed the accident to the buyer.

Usually agents do a good job - a relative of mine had his  Toyota Allion rear ended by a bus and was repaired at the agents - it was a perfect job. His insurance paid the full amount as well. 

The agents really did a good job 100% agree, I had my C-HR rear ended by a truck and the agents took care of it with a hefty bill of 325k. Was 100% perfect no one could find out whether it met with an accident, except for the rear bodykit they refused to replace citing they don't install them. I had to install one from elsewhere.

Got 90% of the value from the insurance.

Considering I had a bill of 650k+ (fully claimed),  I am a bit pissed off now for not being able to restore everything back to as it was before. Anyway, whats done is done. I might need to change my insurance policy/ company just in case being ready for a worst case scenario. 

1 hour ago, thou1584 said:

Got 90% of the value from the insurance.

What is your insurance agent? Please note that my car is registered as "reconditioned" as it was previously registered in UK before importing here.

21 hours ago, Klord said:

Considering I had a bill of 650k+ (fully claimed),  I am a bit pissed off now for not being able to restore everything back to as it was before. Anyway, whats done is done. I might need to change my insurance policy/ company just in case being ready for a worst case scenario. 

What is your insurance agent? Please note that my car is registered as "reconditioned" as it was previously registered in UK before importing here.

Mine's the same case as yours it was registered in japan previously (brand new although) and registered as recondition here.

My Insurance agent was J*n*sh*kti insurance (now taken over by all*a*z insurance)

In my case i was rear ended by two vehicles one behind the other.

I had no issue with them, got my claim without much of a hassle.

On 10/28/2019 at 10:59 AM, Klord said:

My future wife managed to crash my car in to a parked bus in Kandy road. ?

1465715898_WhatsAppImage2019-10-27at14_22_43.thumb.jpeg.70d9ba94061234bf56f7aa25c974fcd1.jpeg

Front left headlight, buffer, front grills and the bonnet are damaged. I have never done a serious accident repair before as this is my first car. So I could use some advice regarding the process.

I took the car to VT*C Motors in Malabe as I have heard a lot of good stuff about them. They said that all aforementioned parts will need to be replaced including the bonnet (which I thought would be fixable by tinkering). My concerns are,

1. Do I need to find spare parts? Or will the garage people do that to me? Can we trust them to repair the car with OEM parts?
  2. Auto start-stop function does not work now. Would that be due to damaged headlights? (which is kinda weird)

Thank you very much. 

@Klord This car has all the techs to avoid front collision. wonder why it got crashed ?