• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Accident Repair - Honda Civic 2018

Klord

My future wife managed to crash my car in to a parked bus in Kandy road. ?

1465715898_WhatsAppImage2019-10-27at14_22_43.thumb.jpeg.70d9ba94061234bf56f7aa25c974fcd1.jpeg

Front left headlight, buffer, front grills and the bonnet are damaged. I have never done a serious accident repair before as this is my first car. So I could use some advice regarding the process.

I took the car to VT*C Motors in Malabe as I have heard a lot of good stuff about them. They said that all aforementioned parts will need to be replaced including the bonnet (which I thought would be fixable by tinkering). My concerns are,

1. Do I need to find spare parts? Or will the garage people do that to me? Can we trust them to repair the car with OEM parts?
  2. Auto start-stop function does not work now. Would that be due to damaged headlights? (which is kinda weird)

Thank you very much. 

Edited by Klord
  • Sad 1

sorry to hear this bro :

1.  It depends on the 'garage'  - since the car is new isn't the insurance paying 100% of the repair cost any chance of taking it to agents? My cousins 2018 Allion was rammed from behind by a bus and he did the full repair at the agents . Larger garages will source parts. Smaller places will require you to source the parts. 

2. The auto stop function will not work even if your bonnet is unlocked. Now it's not working cos as I can see from your picture your bonnet doesn't close properly. 

Edited by matroska

5 minutes ago, matroska said:

sorry to hear this bro :

1.  It depends on the 'garage'  - since the car is new isn't the insurance paying 100% of the repair cost any chance of taking it to agents? My cousins 2018 Allion was rammed from behind by a bus and he did the full repair at the agents .

2. The auto stop function will not work even if your bonnet is unlocked. Now it's not working cos as I can see from your picture your bonnet doesn't close properly. 

Yes, it must be due to the problem with the bonnet. 
Unfortunately my insurance agent (Coop) doesnt provide full claim for agent as the car is registered as a reconditioned. They only provide 80% of the total cost if a reconditioned car is repaired with agent. Since this looks like a hefty repair, I dont think its a viable choice. :(

Ooops really sad about what happened to the car :(

A friend of mine at office did an accident repair recently at VTEC motors and the job was done satisfactorily so you don't need to worry about the quality of the job I guess. And they did bring in the parts needed (right side fender, right side headlight and buffer) for an Axio Hybrid. 

Auto-Stop function might be something you need to pay a visit to Stafford. Don't know if VTEC is capable of such repairs. 

One of my friend also did some major repairs from VTEC motors, they did it on satisfactory level and he only had to fill the insurance forms as the garage manage all other matters. They also get the parts required, but better to check them out so you can make sure they are genuine.

What about Challenger motors in Pothuhera? They have their own spare parts shop. They’ll do it for you. Trust me, their work is the best I’ve seen so far and speedy too. A bit expensive. But totally worth it if you are living at least 50-60km closer to Kurunegala.

• 2 weeks later...

Status Update:
Car is almost fixed now. Will be able to get her by Wednesday. Repair cost was 7 lakhs! I didnt actually expect that much. 

I have a question regarding the insurance. My insurance agency is Coop. As I have mentioned, they do not provide full claim for repairs done through agent. My cousin owns a reconditioned Insight since 2013 and is insured by SL I*******. He said, irrespective of whether the car is brand new or reconditioned, they give the full claim when repairing through agent. Is this true? What are the other insurance companies which pays full claim for agent repairs?

I am considering on changing my insurance agent for next year. Your comments are highly appreciated. Thank you. ☺️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Klord said:

My cousin owns a reconditioned Insight since 2013 and is insured by SL I*******. He said, irrespective of whether the car is brand new or reconditioned, they give the full claim when repairing through agent. Is this true?

You get what you pay for

2 hours ago, Klord said:

I have a question regarding the insurance. My insurance agency is Coop. As I have mentioned, they do not provide full claim for repairs done through agent. My cousin owns a reconditioned Insight since 2013 and is insured by SL I*******. He said, irrespective of whether the car is brand new or reconditioned, they give the full claim when repairing through agent. Is this true? What are the other insurance companies which pays full claim for agent repairs?

With Sri Lanka Ins, you can let the insurance claim be handled between Staff0rd and the company. They will however hold your vehicle till they receive the cheque from the insurer but it's less of a headache than Coop I guess?
There will be a owners contribution aspect to the claim amount, so it wouldn't be a Rs 0 accident repair for you, but it would still trump you having to pocket out a significant amount.

5 hours ago, Klord said:

Status Update:
Car is almost fixed now. Will be able to get her by Wednesday. Repair cost was 7 lakhs! I didnt actually expect that much. 

I am considering on changing my insurance agent for next year. Your comments are highly appreciated. Thank you. ☺️

Usually insurance companies have a clause for agent repair and you need to pay additional premium for this. I usually ask whether they have included agent repair to my policy otherwise I ask them to add it to the policy and include the extra premium. Just check with the insurance agent and also read the policy carefully. I used to have c******o insurance and they have included it in their policy but I had a very bad experience with them (agent forgot to upload the pictures taken when they issue the policy to their system and I found this when I met an accident, and they refuse to pay saying the pictures and file were not completed in their system. The funny thing is they accepted it their fault but no one took the ownership and asked me to chase the agent to upload pictures and complete the file. I chased the agent few times but he said he lost the pictures and asked me to sent pictures and a scan copy of the book and it took them more than two weeks to complete my file. Then they said the time given to the claim is expired and I had to chase the agent again to get the claim. The claim was 16000/- and usually I do not take this type of minor claims but I had to take to confirm my file was OK.Then after the the first year they sent me the renewal amount as 177000/- and the initial amount was 106000 and they have increased 77000 due to above claim. This was not acceptable)

So I went with SLIC for a premium 95000/- and they also have agent maintenance.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Klord said:

Status Update:

Glad to hear you got it fixed. I am wondering how it could cost so much given it is not such a big collision. Have you got a breakdown of costs....

Status Update 2:

Car is fixed now. But could not get it from the garage as the releasing letter was not provided by the insurance. Hopefully they will do it today, so I can get her out from the garage before the election mess. 

Thank you for the responses regarding insurance. I will ask about this extra premium for agent repair thing from my insurance provider. ☺️

@tbird, whats your car? Is it also a reconditioned one?

On 11/11/2019 at 3:08 PM, vitz said:

Glad to hear you got it fixed. I am wondering how it could cost so much given it is not such a big collision. Have you got a breakdown of costs....

Will get it when I take the car out. I was not involved in the claim process. I asked the insurance to deal directly with the garage. I am also curious in to know why the cost is high. Not just high, effin high !!! :rolleyes:

On 11/11/2019 at 9:39 AM, Klord said:

Repair cost was 7 lakhs!

damn son!  you could buy a decent old car for that price :D 

surprising cos your damage does not look significant -  a cousin's allion was rear ended by a bus and that cost 1.7 Million at Toyota but the damage on that was far far greater than this. 

So, I got her back. Overall, the repair seem to be okey. 

1.thumb.jpeg.b4b196fb7ccb2bf26f719d681edb4e17.jpeg

But, if you look close enough, there are lots of imperfections. 

1 - Bonnet painting has sprayed paint on rubber beading of the windshield. This is the top beading near the moon-roof. 

2.thumb.jpeg.2c5fba5e2bf97b59fcaffad471516893.jpeg

2 - There are visible paint droplets in the place where the buffer connects with the body of the car. You will have to zoom and check to identify. 

3.thumb.jpeg.ccc00171830ac26ef5507285014da581.jpeg

3 - Paint has spread to the alloy-wheels as well. They can be removed of course, but considering the sum they got paid, they could have cleaned that as well. 

4.thumb.jpeg.709b1ffb9f7d9d4c51e6d633e618e290.jpeg

4 - Windshield has tiny scratches. They are not visible all the time, but can see clearly when sunlight (light) is high. It looks like they have used sandpapers to remove the paint from the windshield. 

>> Overall impression - I am not satisfied! -_-

>> Do I recommend VT*C for someone - Depends !

I would like to know your feedback regarding this. This is the first car I owned myself. And this is the first repair I did on a car on my own. Is this what we can expect from an accident repair? Cant we fully restore a car back to her oldself in Sri Lanka? 

Edited by Klord

Great to hear the car is back!

I haven't done any big accident repairs but have done a few panel paintings. And I haven't been satisfied with any of them either (haven't done one at the agents nor VT..C). When I see little imperfections I get them to rectify them before getting the car back.

Mostly the painters and tinkers will try to say everything is perfect and that there's nothing wrong and all (trying to hide their incompetence and poor quality)

To be honest I expected V..C to do a better job than that considering you have paid a hefty amount for the job :( 

On 11/15/2019 at 2:19 PM, matroska said:

damn son!  you could buy a decent old car for that price :D 

surprising cos your damage does not look significant -  a cousin's allion was rear ended by a bus and that cost 1.7 Million at Toyota but the damage on that was far far greater than this. 

What in the hell...what specifically makes those repairs so expensive? How come the bumper, trunk, lights, windshield & doing the frame cost that much?????

On 11/11/2019 at 9:39 AM, Klord said:

Status Update:

c******o & SLIC usually pay 

I've dealt with the former and had repairs done at 3 agents - all paid in full to the company without my involvement.

The trade off is the high premium

so much for quality control. take it back to them and let them rectify the issues right there! I did the same when a paint shop had done a poor job on repainting a fender (had visible swirls and patches). Also, inform the insurance company, even though the check is already issued there may be something they could do with it.

even those amateur mechanics in roadside body-shop joints cover the wheels and windscreen with newspapers and masking tapes while doing paint jobs! ?

3 hours ago, ghostwriter said:

even those amateur mechanics in roadside body-shop joints 

8 hours ago, Klord said:

Is this what we can expect from an accident repair? Cant we fully restore a car back to her oldself in Sri Lanka? 

This is sub-par. I mentioned earlier a cousin, who's Allion was rear-ended and sustained a lot of damage which was perfectly restored at T#yota Lanka. It was almost undetectable. This is very primitive and anyone can spot your car has met with an accident. Take it back to them and ask them to do justice for the high amount paid. 

You wouldn't believe but the best job I have so far seen was actually done by a tiny body shop deep deep into the remote areas of Boyagane Kurunegala. Yes it was a small job - but they did a perfect job of it. 

Alright guys, I am now tempted to confront VT*C again and see what can be done. 

Here is their bill,

1059607073_WhatsAppImage2019-11-19at12_38_52.thumb.jpeg.3536b98e49b8a64a3cda93be8e6914f9.jpeg

Can someone shed some light regarding the cost breakdown? 

5 biggest expenses are for,

1. Front buffer - 100k
  2. Head lamp - 115k
  3. Shell - 80k 
  4. Bonnet - 105k 
  5. Nose cut panel - 110k

Is this possible? I feel like thats way too much.