• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Regarding Vehicle Importaition

shehan1111

Question

8 answers to this question

41 minutes ago, shehan1111 said:

1. Im importing a car from japan. and my dealer said i can get it from hambantota port. Can i  drive it through Highway to colombo from port without any registration?

2. What are the relevant documents to register the car ?

You can drive provided you have insurance, any claim will be troublesome if you get in to an accident

RMV site will give the documents needed, your clearing agent will hand over the documents with the car once the car is cleared.

• Like 1

I have a personal experience regarding this. Last year I imported a Vitz and taken over the car from my clearing agent at Hambantota. Before that, I made a telephone call to Expressway Police to get confirm whether I can drive it to home (with Insurance cover note and chassis number displayed instead of registration number).  Expressway Police replied that this is ok. However at Matara town, a police officer (NOT expressway police) stopped me and told that I can't drive the car to home in this manner. He further told that "වාහනේ අරගෙන ගෙදර යන වෙලාවේ කරදරයක් කරන්න කැමති නෑ. ඒක නිසා යන්න". So I left without further arguing, since he allowed me to go.  I told that I got this clarified from Expressway Police. But he didn't care about it. May be some police officers "making new laws" or "bending the law". I expect your comments on this (specially If there are lawyers or police officers in this forum).

You are allowed to drive the vehicle from port to sale or home provided you have proof documents of clearing as well as insurance. Normally car sales guys also drive the vehicles but under CC plates which have comprehensive insurance cover. If you have a friend with CC plates you can borrow that would be the best option.

9 minutes ago, Quiet said:

You are allowed to drive the vehicle from port to sale or home provided you have proof documents of clearing as well as insurance. Normally car sales guys also drive the vehicles but under CC plates which have comprehensive insurance cover. If you have a friend with CC plates you can borrow that would be the best option.

Normal road okay i guess. But in Highway? 

I have done this several times with no issues.

Got insurance with the chassis and engine number in the cover note, printouts pasted in the car.

No issues either to Matara or in the highway, no one even bothered to check the documents.

Last time cop at the Athurugiriya exit looked at my face but did not make a issue, only to realize when I went home that both printouts has got washed off.

• Like 1

Hello,

I have some doubts on the same topic.

I'm planning to go collect my car next Tuesday with a friend and somebody just told me that only the driver is allowed in the car. Apparently they got a warning (and a lecture) from a policeman near Ambalantota. Can anyone let me know if there is such rule?? And any logic behind that?

Also, should I display the printouts of the chassis number on actual number plates or displaying it over the dashboard is enough?

• Like 1

I have not heard of any such rule, anyway cop should not get the feeling that you're not taking the car home. Do not deviate from the route. Warnings and lectures are usually given when the cop has no case.

Better to have them at where the number should be, have another on the wind screen as if it rains or at speeds outside ones could come off (personal experience)

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 3:05 PM, kush said:

I have not heard of any such rule, anyway cop should not get the feeling that you're not taking the car home. Do not deviate from the route. Warnings and lectures are usually given when the cop has no case.

Better to have them at where the number should be, have another on the wind screen as if it rains or at speeds outside ones could come off (personal experience)

Thank you for the input. I brought the car home yesterday without any issues from police. ?

• Like 1