Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Samsoodeens

Buying my first car

Recommended Posts

Hi guys, I'm planning to buy my first car and need help and advice

I saw this ad for Ford Fiesta 2011 automatic transmission for 2.6 mil. Before I reach the seller I want to clarify few things 

# things to check and ask the seller about the car

# do you guys have any experience of using this version? If so please share your thoughts 

# How about maintenance and availability of spare parts?

# any other makers I should check/consider 

Please let me know your thoughts and any advices.

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a good first car if you do not know about cars or passionate about the subject.

From the questions seems your are not

Stick to a Jap

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like kush said, for now as a first car, don't get a Ford.

It seems you are in the market for something small (hatchback) reliable & an automatic.

Check the forums for discussions on:

Toyota Vitz, Passo, IST

Nissan March Beetle K12

Suzuki Swift

Honda Fit 2nd gen (beware of the oil burning issue)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, □AVANTE□ said:

Like kush said, for now as a first car, don't get a Ford.

It seems you are in the market for something small (hatchback) reliable & an automatic.

Check the forums for discussions on:

Toyota Vitz, Passo, IST

Nissan March Beetle K12

Suzuki Swift

Honda Fit 2nd gen (beware of the oil burning issue)

I hear what you guys are saying @Avante & @Kush but Fords aren't as scary as people make them out to be - they really aren't

Compared to most other European cars i'd argue that they are far more reliable and with models like the Fiesta offer the benefit of parts interchangeability with the Mazada Demio/2/3 of the same era 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our family doctor has a 2011 Fiesta. He sold it 1 or 2 years ago and again bought another one right after. Dunno the reason. I’ll ask him next time about the details. What I know is, it has a good set of options and manufactured in Thailand. He is a person who enjoys driving and the car might be good in terms of driving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, alpha17 said:

Our family doctor has a 2011 Fiesta. He sold it 1 or 2 years ago and again bought another one right after. Dunno the reason. I’ll ask him next time about the details. What I know is, it has a good set of options and manufactured in Thailand. He is a person who enjoys driving and the car might be good in terms of driving.

It's decent to drive - don't get me wrong it is no sports car but for a compact sedan the driving dynamics are pleasant

 

The ride is supple and more comfortable than say a comparable Yaris etc.

 

In terms of features the big sell is the safety aspect - 7 airbags including a knee airbag!

No other car in that price bracket comes close

IIHS Top Safety Pick in the US and Euro NCAP 5*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Devinda_Z & @alpha17 all things you guys say are true! I'm not dissing fords but for someone who doesn't know his way around an 'uncommon' brand might have a hard time I guess. It's also a recommended first car for teenagers in europe & the US though. Heck even the looks have aged well!

But honestly, I wonder how the resale is? Japs are out of the question. But how good is it by itself? Compared to the chevy beat, fiat punto, BMW 118i, Audi A1 & similar non-jap hatches. Also do we have both european & thai models here?

Edited by □AVANTE□

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, □AVANTE□ said:

@Devinda_Z & @alpha17 all things you guys say are true! I'm not dissing fords but for someone who doesn't know his way around an 'uncommon' brand might have a hard time I guess. It's also a recommended first car for teenagers in europe & the US though. Heck even the looks have aged well!

But honestly, I wonder how the resale is? Japs are out of the question. But how good is it by itself? Compared to the chevy beat, fiat punto, BMW 118i, Audi A1 & similar non-jap hatches. Also do we have both european & thai models here?

Fair enough Avante

Yes locally we have the Thai made ones (mostly sedans) imported brand new by the agents (1400cc 4 speed automatic) and the grey market reconditioned UK imports (mostly face-lift hatchbacks with the 1000cc 6 speed DCT)

 

Far superior to the Fiat Punto and Linea in the reliability stakes. The Chevy Beat I don't quite see as a direct competitor tbh given that it's a relatively fancier sedan Vs the Indian made GM.

The A1 & 118i are newer with premium finishes - I haven't driven any of these 1000cc turbo's so I can't comment but don't forget that the price point is nearly 1 million lower on the Fords

In terms of the quality of the build and parts, it's not too far off the Japs given that a fair few of the mehcanical parts (suspension, gearbox etc) are Mazda derived/engineered 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to know! But:

DCT will be problematic to maintain nah in our conditions?

Since Mazda's a part of the equation (suspension), it's safe to say that a bit of the 'driving matters' policy is there too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the UK grey imports have DCT, better to stay away from them. UK is also a country with a cold climate throughout the year. So the DCT might face the same issue here like the Vezel. What’s worse is finding the DCT clutch pack which might cost a fortune when importing to SL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...