• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying my first car

Samsoodeens

Hi guys, I'm planning to buy my first car and need help and advice

I saw this ad for Ford Fiesta 2011 automatic transmission for 2.6 mil. Before I reach the seller I want to clarify few things 

# things to check and ask the seller about the car

# do you guys have any experience of using this version? If so please share your thoughts 

# How about maintenance and availability of spare parts?

# any other makers I should check/consider 

Please let me know your thoughts and any advices.

Thanks 

Like kush said, for now as a first car, don't get a Ford.

It seems you are in the market for something small (hatchback) reliable & an automatic.

Check the forums for discussions on:

Toyota Vitz, Passo, IST

Nissan March Beetle K12

Suzuki Swift

Honda Fit 2nd gen (beware of the oil burning issue)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, □AVANTE□ said:

Like kush said, for now as a first car, don't get a Ford.

It seems you are in the market for something small (hatchback) reliable & an automatic.

Check the forums for discussions on:

Toyota Vitz, Passo, IST

Nissan March Beetle K12

Suzuki Swift

Honda Fit 2nd gen (beware of the oil burning issue)

I hear what you guys are saying @Avante & @Kush but Fords aren't as scary as people make them out to be - they really aren't

Compared to most other European cars i'd argue that they are far more reliable and with models like the Fiesta offer the benefit of parts interchangeability with the Mazada Demio/2/3 of the same era 

• Like 2

Our family doctor has a 2011 Fiesta. He sold it 1 or 2 years ago and again bought another one right after. Dunno the reason. I’ll ask him next time about the details. What I know is, it has a good set of options and manufactured in Thailand. He is a person who enjoys driving and the car might be good in terms of driving.

8 hours ago, alpha17 said:

Our family doctor has a 2011 Fiesta. He sold it 1 or 2 years ago and again bought another one right after. Dunno the reason. I’ll ask him next time about the details. What I know is, it has a good set of options and manufactured in Thailand. He is a person who enjoys driving and the car might be good in terms of driving.

It's decent to drive - don't get me wrong it is no sports car but for a compact sedan the driving dynamics are pleasant

The ride is supple and more comfortable than say a comparable Yaris etc.

In terms of features the big sell is the safety aspect - 7 airbags including a knee airbag!

No other car in that price bracket comes close

IIHS Top Safety Pick in the US and Euro NCAP 5*

@Devinda_Z & @alpha17 all things you guys say are true! I'm not dissing fords but for someone who doesn't know his way around an 'uncommon' brand might have a hard time I guess. It's also a recommended first car for teenagers in europe & the US though. Heck even the looks have aged well!

But honestly, I wonder how the resale is? Japs are out of the question. But how good is it by itself? Compared to the chevy beat, fiat punto, BMW 118i, Audi A1 & similar non-jap hatches. Also do we have both european & thai models here?

Edited by □AVANTE□

5 hours ago, □AVANTE□ said:

@Devinda_Z & @alpha17 all things you guys say are true! I'm not dissing fords but for someone who doesn't know his way around an 'uncommon' brand might have a hard time I guess. It's also a recommended first car for teenagers in europe & the US though. Heck even the looks have aged well!

But honestly, I wonder how the resale is? Japs are out of the question. But how good is it by itself? Compared to the chevy beat, fiat punto, BMW 118i, Audi A1 & similar non-jap hatches. Also do we have both european & thai models here?

Fair enough Avante

Yes locally we have the Thai made ones (mostly sedans) imported brand new by the agents (1400cc 4 speed automatic) and the grey market reconditioned UK imports (mostly face-lift hatchbacks with the 1000cc 6 speed DCT)

Far superior to the Fiat Punto and Linea in the reliability stakes. The Chevy Beat I don't quite see as a direct competitor tbh given that it's a relatively fancier sedan Vs the Indian made GM.

The A1 & 118i are newer with premium finishes - I haven't driven any of these 1000cc turbo's so I can't comment but don't forget that the price point is nearly 1 million lower on the Fords

In terms of the quality of the build and parts, it's not too far off the Japs given that a fair few of the mehcanical parts (suspension, gearbox etc) are Mazda derived/engineered 

If the UK grey imports have DCT, better to stay away from them. UK is also a country with a cold climate throughout the year. So the DCT might face the same issue here like the Vezel. What’s worse is finding the DCT clutch pack which might cost a fortune when importing to SL!