• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vitz 2007 KSP90 3 cyl. 1000cc engine vibration story

Monkey King Stu

4 hours ago, Davy said:

The Yaris, Belta and Vitz are notorious for the cold start belt squeal which is really annoying. Google "Yaris Belt Squeal" and you will be showered with results about it. :) However, this squeal/chirp goes away when you drive like 50m. I knew quite a few Beltas that had the issue and it stops temporarily after new belts are installed. From memory, it was just a pulley issue, but using genuine TOYOTA belts help a bit. 

Your issue seems to be different because you experience the sound as you drive the car as well. If the belt is not adjusted properly (about 10 mm of slack for a new belt at the mid point between pulleys that are furthest apart). So the first thing to check is to ensure that the belt is properly adjusted. You can check this yourself as explained above.

The next is a bit of a controversial one to check if the noise is due to belt slippage. While the engine is stopped, spray a tiny bit of WD40 (or even a bit of water) to a point where the belt meets a pulley. The key is to ensure that the liquid only touches the inner side of the belt and that it doesn't go into any of the pulleys (if it does, pulley noises might also stop and our diagnosis is in vain). Then start the car and drive for a bit. If the squeal is due to belt slippage, the WD40 would have lubed up the belt enough to get rid of the noise.

If none of the above checks stops the noise, it's likely to be a bad or misaligned pulley. I suspect alternator. Note that the WD40 method might also stop a squeal that is generated by a misaligned pulley. So careful inspection by a mechanic could help.

Good luck!

Nice write-up Davy: I was hoping you'd chip in with more knowledge than I could offer...?

Quick question: I've heard of the water on the belt to temporarily stop it slipping trick; but didn't want to recommend it, as for the life of me I can't figuare out how it works. I mean the water or WD40 should make it slip more right? But apparently its the other way around? 

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

Nice write-up Davy: I was hoping you'd chip in with some more knowledge than I could offer...?

Quick question: I've heard of the water on the belt to temporarily stop it slipping trick; but didn't want to reccomend it, as for the life of me I can't figuare how it works. I mean the water or WD40 should make it slip more right? But apparently its the other way around? 

Cheers mate.

Good question. The belts are pretty tight to begin with, and they rarely slip in the direction of rotation unless they are really REALLY slack. So a bit of liquid between the belt and pulleys is not going to cause it to slip. Squealing noises in most cases are due to lateral movement of the belt or because the ribs being slightly off from the grooves on the pulleys as the belt sits on them. I believe the liquid "cushions" the movement which results in the noise being eliminated. 

Water is the safest to use because WD40 can degrade rubber. But a little bit of it won't hurt IMO. Oh and, WD40 make belt dressings, specifically to be applied on drive belts. I haven't tried them, but the liquid apparently has fibres in it that fill up the gaps and stops belt squeal. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...