• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota axio 2008 jerks when pressing accelerator

RandikaPM

Question

Hi everyone,

I feel a jerk when pressing the accelerator at low speeds in my axio 2008. This often happens when car is traveling at about 10 - 30 kmph and when i take the foot out of the accelerator and then start again to accelerate. Just when i start to accelerate car jumps a little. I also found a same thread with this problem here.

http://autolanka.com/forums/topic/13402-toyota-axio-jerkingvibration-problem/

This is kind of exactly my problem too. But unfortunately i couldn't find an answer there. I took it to two mechanics and they couldn't say anything exactly and they suggests things like engine tune-up. Is there anyone who faced the same problem ? what could this be ?

15 answers to this question

Well..it is difficult to diagnose a jerk yet alone when you describe it just by saying it is a jerk...the cause can be anything from your fuel filter being dirty to a spark plug being bad (its just that when the engine is running faster you probably do not feel the miss) to anything form the engine or gearbox disintegrating under your feet to a mount being bad (okay..disintegrating was a bit of an exaggeration). Any chance you can atleast put a video clip ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandikaPM said:

Hi iRage,

Thank you for the reply. I have replaced the fuel pump 2 months ago. also did a engine tuneup along with it. But did not replace the plugs yet. The car is on 100k mileage. One engine mount has gone bad but not to the state that it should be replaced right away. Fuel filter is less than one month old. But this problem was also recognized around the same time as the fuel filter was replaced (along with the service). I also have noticed that when i take the foot away from the paddle RPM reduces rapidly (than usual). since i have done the engine tuneup  recently i thought it won't be required. Do you suggest to go for a fuel path cleanup and engine tuneup ?

also regarding a video, This jerk cannot be taken into a video it only feels and not visible :( . I will try to record rpm meter. When i put the gear into neutral and press the accelerator there's not such abnormal behavior in RPM meter. But when i drive RPM meter also fluctuates heavily. (But this could be again normal behavior)

@iRage We're back to that point you noted about prolonging the use of worn components to the detriment of the vehicle as whole and the lack of preemptive maintenance.

@RandikaPMany idea when the spark plugs were changed last or if they have in fact been changed?

I''d go so far as to say that this is something basic that should have been checked at the time of the "tune up" 

Would it be possible to know if you've changed the gearbox oil in the recent past?

@iRage vacuum line or TPS? 

• Like 1

@Devinda_Z...exactly ! I wish people would realize that parts do not have to be completely broken to replace them. @RandikaPM please do not wait till the mounts break to replace them...things can cost a lot more to fix after all these parts are broken than it is to just replace the part early. Also, consider replacing all the mounts because if one is reaching its end of life then the chances are the others are going to show signs of wear soon after.

Yes..it can be a vacuum line or TPS or it could be who ever replaced the fuel pump and filter and did the tune up messed  up. @RandikaPM, did you by any chance do a diag reading ?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, iRage said:

Well..it is difficult to diagnose a jerk yet alone when you describe it just by saying it is a jerk...the cause can be anything from your fuel filter being dirty to a spark plug being bad (its just that when the engine is running faster you probably do not feel the miss) to anything form the engine or gearbox disintegrating under your feet to a mount being bad (okay..disintegrating was a bit of an exaggeration). Any chance you can atleast put a video clip ?

Hi iRage,

Thank you for the reply. I have replaced the fuel pump 2 months ago. also did a engine tuneup along with it. But did not replace the plugs yet. The car is on 100k mileage. One engine mount has gone bad but not to the state that it should be replaced right away. Fuel filter is less than one month old. But this problem was also recognized around the same time as the fuel filter was replaced (along with the service). I also have noticed that when i take the foot away from the paddle RPM reduces rapidly (than usual). since i have done the engine tuneup  recently i thought it won't be required. Do you suggest to go for a fuel path cleanup and engine tuneup ?

also regarding a video, This jerk cannot be taken into a video it only feels and not visible :( . I will try to record rpm meter. When i put the gear into neutral and press the accelerator there's not such abnormal behavior in RPM meter. But when i drive RPM meter also fluctuates heavily. (But this could be again normal behavior)

8 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

Jerks are kinda normal on CVT boxes, you tend to notice them more if you're coming from a 4AT... but if this is a recent development it's cause for concern. Could you post a video clip like @iRage asked? 

@Hyaenidae

Hi, As i said to @iRage This thing is not visible so cannot be recorded. But can feel it when inside the car. Also this jerk does not come when i accelerate from 0.

@Devinda_Z actually i only used the car for 7000km. Bought it from the 1st owner. I dont know about the date which he last replaced the plugs. But I asked garage to replace them if needed when they did the engine tuneup. They said it was not required. About the CVT oil, I changed CVT oil in the first week after buying the car. That was about six months ago.

@iRage Sure I'll go for the mount replacement too. I couldn't do do the diagnostic reading after this issue came up. Sure I'll do that too.

So It's better to go through the engine tune up process first right ? May be change the plugs too.

On 10/23/2019 at 9:05 PM, RandikaPM said:

@Devinda_Z actually i only used the car for 7000km. Bought it from the 1st owner. I dont know about the date which he last replaced the plugs. But I asked garage to replace them if needed when they did the engine tuneup. They said it was not required. About the CVT oil, I changed CVT oil in the first week after buying the car. That was about six months ago.

@iRage Sure I'll go for the mount replacement too. I couldn't do do the diagnostic reading after this issue came up. Sure I'll do that too.

So It's better to go through the engine tune up process first right ? May be change the plugs too.

Well I cant see why both can't be done at the same time. Some garages (whilst it is standard practice in some countries) do a diagnostic reading after the tune-up anyway to make sure everything is fine. In Japan it gets done by default at a regular service and a "tune up" (i.e. changing plugs, fuel filters, etc...) and sometimes certain types of repairs require a programming/resetting the ECU.....

SOrry I can't go through the earlier posts but I thought you said a tune up as done recently (except changing the spark plugs)

On 10/23/2019 at 9:52 AM, RandikaPM said:

Hi everyone,

I feel a jerk when pressing the accelerator at low speeds in my axio 2008. This often happens when car is traveling at about 10 - 30 kmph and when i take the foot out of the accelerator and then start again to accelerate. Just when i start to accelerate car jumps a little. I also found a same thread with this problem here.

http://autolanka.com/forums/topic/13402-toyota-axio-jerkingvibration-problem/

This is kind of exactly my problem too. But unfortunately i couldn't find an answer there. I took it to two mechanics and they couldn't say anything exactly and they suggests things like engine tune-up. Is there anyone who faced the same problem ? what could this be ?

Hi

I m also having the same problem.my car already 135K s done. It jerks when slow running around 10-40 KMPH  and  when releasing the accelerator  even at a higher speed around 70-80 KMPH.Oil changes done on time as well. don't know why ?

5 hours ago, Ruwan Abeysekera said:

Hi

I m also having the same problem.my car already 135K s done. It jerks when slow running around 10-40 KMPH  and  when releasing the accelerator  even at a higher speed around 70-80 KMPH.Oil changes done on time as well. don't know why ?

Apart from oil changes being done on time...what other maintenance work have you done on the car ?

Fuel filter, plugs, air filter, cvt fluid, etc..changed ? Throttle body cleaned ? Sensors, etc...are okay ? 

On 9/25/2022 at 10:38 PM, Slade Silva said:

My 2017 axio hybrid milage is  40,200 km, recently the car makes a different noice similar to a bike mostly when not on battery and when accelerating. Please share your thoughts and solutions to this matter.

it's a bit tough to say unless someone can actually hear it -if it's simply loud bike-like noise it  could be issues with the exhaust - maybe something simple like a leak.