• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Oil viscosity 10w30 to 5w30 switch

everyf4

Question

Hey guys new to aL !
I Bought an every turbo van last December and  did not know anything about oil types 
a***m*** experts ? put 10w30 and next oil change also went for 10w30

Now after some advice changed to 5w30 vehicle is smooth and gives better mileage but white smoke on cold start :( 

(Mileage 58k) Can anyone please advice 

Edited by everyf4

6 answers to this question

3 hours ago, everyf4 said:

I am going to start with the PCV valve, will replace it this weekend and pray the problem goes away ?

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/394549/white+smoke+coming+out+if+exhaust+when+I+first+start+it+in+the+morning

It’s very unlikely a pcv valve to be worn at 60k km, make sure u are replacing it with an Original, or u ll be getting an inferior part for the good one you have.  you can try to clean it with a cleaner spray and give it a try. 

23 hours ago, everyf4 said:

Hey guys new to aL !
I Bought an every turbo van last December and  did not know anything about oil types 
a***m*** experts ? put 10w30 and next oil change also went for 10w30

Now after some advice changed to 5w30 vehicle is smooth and gives better mileage but white smoke on cold start :( 

(Mileage 58k) Can anyone please advice 

If mileage is genuine I don’t see a reason for it to be burning oil. Stick to 5w30 as you have synthetic oil options. Do a compression test Incase you feel it’s low on power, 

white smoke on cold start is not always due to low compression, also check the injector seals.

5w30 will  be bit thinner than 10w30 at cold start, until engine gets warmed up to ideal temperature gaps between bore and pistons, valves will be bit more and it is possible to engine to burn little oil at a cold start.

Keep an eye on oil level if it is not reducing I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I could not find an original valve but replaced with a recondition, the problem has reduced 95% 

but when I start in the morning little bit of white smoke coming for 1-2 seconds (not that thick white smoke )

next oil change I am thinking about switching to a full synthetic 5w30