• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Kobe carepoint service or Toyota Lankan service

L.K

I bought a new toyota vitz and it comes with kobe warrenty, so there ara labor cost free 8 services and 2years engine gearbox warrenty with it , so if there someone can tell me ,if i do my vehicle services through toyota lanka it would ve reason for cancel my car warrenty and which is the best between Toyota Lanka and carepoint companies for do services 

1. It's a warranty... not guaranty.... they will do repair ... if you get an issue.. only the labour cost is waived.. but the spares...

2. And though they call them as free services... you will have to pay for the material... still costly..

3. You are getting a service from unskilled workers... more or less at the same price , that of the agents 

4. I have witnessed even R grade cars from japan weer given service plans and the so called warranty 

5. Above are my personal thoughts and experiences... I have no intention to harm anyone else's business 

AFAIK when you do service from anywhere else, you cannot get the warranty. But it is highly unlikely of getting an issue with the engine and gearbox in a Vitz, so I would go to the agents, but they are costly.

Indeed, because of this so-called warranty I took my wife's vehicle to one of the Kobe recommended service station in Kandy. To tell you guys, its a whole drama to grab money. In addition to essential material cost(oil, oil filter etc) they grabbed nearly 4000 Rs for things like degreasing things etc. One of the guys was insisting on me to apply a kind of chemical to engine bay which I totally refused. If it was done, they might have added another 1000 for chemical. But, nothing on the engine such as belts, boots etc even looked at. 

Nevertheless, I had to spend the whole day at the service station supervising stupid actions of unskilled workers.

I don't see any use of going to this Kobe/sterling thing. Next time, I would do a DIY oil change at home (if you are skilled enough) and for the sake of completeness, I would take the vehicle to the agent @15000 km intervals. I did the same for my previous vehicles, everything was fine.

I know if something bad happened to the vehicle I would not be able to depend upon this Kobe recommended garages. I have not heard anyone who has claimed this so-called warranty (perhaps there may be some pieces of evidence)

Edited by vitz

Toyota Lanka is the authorized agent for Toyota in Sri Lanka as appointed by Toyota Motors Japan. As the local agent the staff at Toyota Lanka get trained by Toyota and all the work is done according to the manufacturer's recommended procedures (or supposed). Same applies for all the other manufacturers (this also leads to the reason why things are expensive at the agent...they can't just do something to get something working...they have to follow a process and repair/replace a whole host of other things to fix one thing).

Now think about this....do you REALLY think ANY warranty that any 3rd party gives is actually worth anything if this warranty gets nullified when the agent, who represents the manufacturer of the car, touches it ? In Japan you can buy a a Toyota, Nissan, etc..anywhere and these car sales are legally required to give a 6 - 1 year warranty. This does not get nullified when the car is taken to the agent ! In fact these places recommend you take the car to the agent and they cover the bill.

Sterling and Kobe warranty started off okay way back then and it is operated properly in some countries...but NOT in Sri Lanka because of the dumb car salesmen in our country. When these warranty services started they (team from HQ) used to come and do a proper review and periodic monitoring and evaluation of the service facilities that carried out the warranty work. But now the monitoring and evaluation and accreditation is not done (properly at least because it is done by our own donkies...and when the HQ team vists they just put on a show) so you get monkies with spanners running around trying to fix stuff. Don't get me wrong....there are a few (minimum number of) proper mechanics at these places but they are busy doing repairs (or slacking off) so the mundane work like services are done by monkies. 

Go to the agent....or even a reputed 3rd party garage....it will cost you more...but at least you are sure they will o a somewhat better job.

Edited by iRage

Considering it's a Vitz, I would say go to the agents. 

I imported my previous vehicle (2011 Civic FD3 - Reconditioned) through an importer who offered Sterling warranty. And I was doing my services with them. Within 9000km of driving the hybrid battery started giving serious deterioration errors. Back then this battery cost around 590000 if imported from Stafford so naturally I turned to Sterling to claim warranty. I was expecting a whole load of excuses and ball passing from them but surprisingly it was a very smooth process. Within 2 months (or a month - i cant remember) I got a brand new hybrid battery for no cost. And I did not have to nag them to get it done. I was still skeptical if they gave me a used battery because it all seemed too good to be true. But the scans  I did at Stafford and all other parameters were on point. I actually used that battery without issues for over 100000km and was still good when I sold the vehicle. So I believe they did give a genuine replacement. 

That being said:
1. This was over 5 years ago. They were still starting out with the warranty and maybe they wanted to give a few exemplary performances at the start to better market it. I don't know if the service standards are still the same now.

2. Mine was a used hybrid. And a Civic too for that matter, which is notorious for hybrid battery issues if the vehicle is parked for too long (shipping + stationary yard time alone would have triggered the issue).  Your vehicle has none of these dependencies. It is highly unlikely it will develop an issue that you'd actually benefit from the warranty like mine did.\

3. Apart from the warranty claims, their services were slightly more expensive. Sure they did an ok job with genuine lubricants (nothing extraordinary, nothing bad either) but I could have got done same, if not better, services from elsewhere for less cost. And like iRage mentioned above, Sterling/Kobe service stations would have technicians who do not have manufacturer specific knowledge as opposed to the agents. Guys in these places have their knowledge spread thin across all vehicle types and models and lack the required deep model specific knowledge  to troubleshoot the not so obvious issues.

Edited by ramishkad

Well heres the thing ...

The whole Kobe/Sterling warranty thingy is more or less a farce as of late. It's a 3rd party warranty remember? Technically the correct procedure is Toyota as they are the agents. But the vitz is such a widely used basic uncomplicated machine, that its really unlikely for someone to mess it up so if the agent does quote crazy prices consider a reputed 3rd party service. 

The free services at the place you mentioned is a farce. They charge you for labour one way or another. For my Wagon R I went only once for the so called free service. After that routine stuff are done at near by garage under my Father in law's watch.

So you will be better off at Agents. Genuine people will be interested in buying your vehicle if its agent maintained.

3 hours ago, Quiet said:

Genuine people will be interested in buying your vehicle if its agent maintained.

This is true - both cars i sold were both maintained at agent and the buyers appreciated it and were bought by the first people who came to inpsect.