• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Battery problem on cold mornings!

AVANTE

Question

Our 2008 swift was sitting idle for 3 or 4 days but it did start all right in the afternoon. But next morning, around 4:45am, I try to start it but on the first turn of the starter the battery just went flat.

I charged it, and it was in working order for a week..when another morning (5:30am) it struggles to start but somehow started. Later that day in the afternoon when I was using the climate control with the engine off for like 3 minutes, the battery died.

Jump started it and got it working again..4 days later I jokingly told my brother that the car won't start the next morning & alas, that's what happened (today morning 4:30am) the battery went flat on the first turn and the dashboard lights were fluctuating, I switched it off immediately.

The internet says cold weather plays havoc on an old battery (our battery looks old but not sure how many years old) & that it is time to change the battery..the green indicator is there as well. When attempting to start, you could hear the motor slowly turning over. So hopefully no problems with that.

So is it time for a new battery or is something seriously wrong?

5 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Sounds like the battery cannot hold the charge

Right..new battery then.

The pattern here is that it dies every cold morning, obviously. Also are all brands of batts the same or any considerable difference in quality?

11 hours ago, □AVANTE□ said:

Our 2008 swift was sitting idle for 3 or 4 days but it did start all right in the afternoon. But next morning, around 4:45am, I try to start it but on the first turn of the starter the battery just went flat.

I charged it, and it was in working order for a week..when another morning (5:30am) it struggles to start but somehow started. Later that day in the afternoon when I was using the climate control with the engine off for like 3 minutes, the battery died.

Jump started it and got it working again..4 days later I jokingly told my brother that the car won't start the next morning & alas, that's what happened (today morning 4:30am) the battery went flat on the first turn and the dashboard lights were fluctuating, I switched it off immediately.

The internet says cold weather plays havoc on an old battery (our battery looks old but not sure how many years old) & that it is time to change the battery..the green indicator is there as well. When attempting to start, you could hear the motor slowly turning over. So hopefully no problems with that.

So is it time for a new battery or is something seriously wrong?

It's the battery bro,

Exide is cheap and effective, have used 100s of them,

Max 2 years, but I dont mind changing em 

Amaron lasts, used one for 5 years

yuasa is expensive and good if the battery is not in the engine compartment otherwise 1.5 years with difficulty 

Panasonic is ok, manages 2 to 4 years 

Speaking from experience, may vary in different conditions 

• Thanks 1

Why it fails to start in the mornings is because it's easier to start an engine when it's warm than cold. Batteries have a CCA rating which is "Cold Cranking Amperage". It's the ability of a battery to crank an engine when it's cold. The higher the amount, the easier it is for the battery to start the engine as it allows the starter motor to draw more amps out of it. As batteries age, the CCA drops. This results in difficult cold starts. 

As others have said, it's most likely a bad battery. So take it to a battery shop, get a battery and charging system test done first. You need to make sure the charging system is in good order before swapping in a new battery, to make sure it lasts as long as it should. A good battery shop will give you a report of the condition of the battery as well as how the charging system performed under load, when starting and high RPMs.