• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

toyota prado 150 tire pressure for srilankan road conditions?

dtrum

Well....what is wrong with 32psi ? Is the vehicle too bouncy or something ?

The tyre pressure is also dependent on the conditions you use the vehicle under. 32psi will work even in SL conditions because lets be honest...major roads actually are pretty decent. The other roads..well....it should not be too much of an issue at 32...but if it is too bouncy then take it down by about 2 psi or so.

Reducing the pressure drastically by what is recommended will effect the performance (fuel efficiency and handling) and longevity of the suspension. For me staying with a a 2-3 psi reduction if needed has worked and I stick by it.  To be honest, I have not had to reduce my tyre pressure lower than what is recommended.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, iRage said:

Well....what is wrong with 32psi ? Is the vehicle too bouncy or something ?

yeah little bit bouncy , thats why i think to reduce air pressure,

also all the previous vehicle that i used are pump less than recommend pressure , those recommendations for japanese road conditions, but in sl lots of road are still not in good conditions 

thanx for valuable reply

1 hour ago, dtrum said:

are you using 30 psi?or any experience?

thnx for quick reply

Yup I do not own a Prado but I do own vehicles in the same category and weight, and the very same tyre size,  30 is kinda the sweet spot for me, the door sill stickers kinda range at 32 to 36 psi as per load variations,  

also consider the tyre brand, if the car has done above 60k surely the tyres are replaced, check the ply, higher plies make it a hard ride even at lower psi

Edited by tiv
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tiv said:

Yup I do not own a Prado but I do own vehicles in the same category and weight, 30 is kinda the sweet spot, the window sill stickers kinda range at 32 to 36 psi as per load variations,  

also consider the tyre brand, if the car has done above 60k surely the tyres are replaced, check the ply, higher plies make it a hard ride even at lower psi

thank u

i am using michelin tires

Edited by dtrum

10 hours ago, tiv said:

Yup I do not own a Prado but I do own vehicles in the same category and weight, and the very same tyre size,  30 is kinda the sweet spot for me, the door sill stickers kinda range at 32 to 36 psi as per load variations,  

Is this true?  Some people fix lower ply tyres than the original ones on SUVs and Vans in SL believing it’ll increase comfort. I’m not sure how true this theory is.

i believe Prado will have 8 ply tyres

On 10/12/2019 at 5:03 AM, Magnum said:

Is this true?  Some people fix lower ply tyres than the original ones on SUVs and Vans in SL believing it’ll increase comfort. I’m not sure how true this theory is.

Naturally as the amount of plies reduce the flex in the tyre, thereby the ironing affect on road distortions, but low ply tyres are week, so you gotta find the best compromise 

35 minutes ago, tiv said:

Naturally as the amount of plies reduce the flex in the tyre, thereby the ironing affect on road distortions, but low ply tyres are week, so you gotta find the best compromise 

I get what you’re saying, a stronger tyre will be harder, but if I’m not wrong modern tyres don’t have plies, in Sri Lankan people match the weight rating of tyres to old ply rating. 

Only way to find out is to try two different tyre sets on same vehicle one after the other and compare the comfort 

On 10/13/2019 at 3:35 PM, Clark'sson said:

Your one must be a company model.

My UK model LC4 150 irons out the bumps even at 34-35psi

no my one is japan domestic txl model 

in door sticker its show 32 psi 

probably its for japanese road conditions, i just trying 30 psi ,it’s very comfortable .

also global manual show 28psi 30psi

On 10/11/2019 at 5:33 PM, Magnum said:

Machan, I don’t know if different countries get different ply ratings. I see the much heavier Land cruiser 200 comes with 4ply rated P285 60 R17. I see 4ply rated 265/65/r17 with load index ranging  110-112 on the Prado. Not sure what exact load index dtrum has in his Prado.

However mine came with 4ply rated tire P265/70/r17 and recommended 32psi. But when I change it to 10 ply rated (load E) a/t tires LT275/70/r17 the tire shop recommended to run at 38psi on highway. They said though you can drive really low psi in off-road never to run at less psi at highway speeds as the rubber inside the tire might get damaged and you never know until it gave up at high speeds. So even though now I feel every bump on the road I still run at 38psi on regular roads. 

In short I would say it would be better to run at 32psi if he has regular tires. Not an expert on this but sharing what the tire shop told me.

Edited by kmeeg

11 hours ago, kmeeg said:

Machan, I don’t know if different countries get different ply ratings. I see the much heavier Land cruiser 200 comes with 4ply rated P285 60 R17. I see 4ply rated 265/65/r17 with load index ranging  110-112 on the Prado. Not sure what exact load index dtrum has in his Prado.

However mine came with 4ply rated tire P265/70/r17 and recommended 32psi. But when I change it to 10 ply rated (load E) a/t tires LT275/70/r17 the tire shop recommended to run at 38psi on highway. They said though you can drive really low psi in off-road never to run at less psi at highway speeds as the rubber inside the tire might get damaged and you never know until it gave up at high speeds. So even though now I feel every bump on the road I still run at 38psi on regular roads. 

In short I would say it would be better to run at 32psi if he has regular tires. Not an expert on this but sharing what the tire shop told me.

It's the same rating everywhere, in the past tyres were using layers of plies, higher the ply, stronger the tyre. However, modern tyres are made using other materials hence now we use a 'load rating index.' Load rating is mentioned in numbers, you will find it after the tyre size. For easy reference tyre shops in SL match the load rating to the old ply rating, for example 98 load rated tyre would be similar to a 6 ply tyre, the tyres on my Hiace are load rated at 104/106, the tyre shop told me it's a 8 ply tyre. 

The 265/65/R17 tyre you came across probably has 4 layers of ply in addition to other materials because 110-112 load rating is equivalent to a 9 or 10 ply rating

sidewall-NEW-01.jpg

37 minutes ago, Magnum said:

For easy reference tyre shops in SL match the load rating to the old ply rating, for example 98 load rated tyre would be similar to a 6 ply tyre, the tyres on my Hiace are load rated at 104/106, the tyre shop told me it's a 8 ply tyre. 

The 265/65/R17 tyre you came across probably has 4 layers of ply in addition to other materials because 110-112 load rating is equivalent to a 9 or 10 ply rating

No clue how those load index works. Mine shows 121 and it’s rated 10ply. Need to search more and see..

74D2F703-E646-4191-BF17-15DC811BFFFF.jpeg

• 8 months later...
3 hours ago, Buwaneka Wijesekara said:

Even I have a LC4 Uk model. But it’s picks up almost every bump on the road. No matter whether it is in comfort, normal or sport. Any idea as to why? 
it’s running on Dunlop’s. 

Well....what tire pressures are you running right now ?

Are you sure your shocks are okay ? and that the suspension system is working properly ?

I inflate all the 4 tires of mine for 35 psi, Nitrogen by the way. Even the JDM 150 prado that I drive has got some comfy suspension setup as well. But no damper control as compared to the UK spec which I suppose is equipped with KDSS

2 hours ago, iRage said:

Well....what tire pressures are you running right now ?

Are you sure your shocks are okay ? and that the suspension system is working properly ?

But My guess is anything in the range of 32-35 is Ok. Btw most roads in SL nowadays are well paved. Only bumps that I go over in colombo are botched road repairs made after drainage/water/ or electrical supply works, pity really. but SUV suspension setups need a good work out as well so don't bother running over them.

On 10/16/2019 at 7:35 AM, kmeeg said:

No clue how those load index works. Mine shows 121 and it’s rated 10ply. Need to search more and see..

74D2F703-E646-4191-BF17-15DC811BFFFF.jpeg

Is this tire from a 150 prado. It seems to be a bit larger than usual, according to company specification it is 265/65/R17. alignments must be interesting in that one. Or maybe simply the latest facelift has bigger tyres.

3 hours ago, top tip said:

I inflate all the 4 tires of mine for 35 psi, Nitrogen by the way.

I don't have a Prado, but I do know there's no point in shelling out extra bucks for Nitrogen.

Its usefulness for regular road vehicles is negligible. If you get it free as part of the service then fine, but if you have to pay extra for Nitrogen : Save your money. It's pointless. 

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, top tip said:

Is this tire from a 150 prado. It seems to be a bit larger than usual, according to company specification it is 265/65/R17. alignments must be interesting in that one. Or maybe simply the latest facelift has bigger tyres.

This is from a similar vehicle called Toyota 4Runner but more off-road focus vehicle. Now I'm running a slightly bigger tire 285/70/R17 but running at 33-34psi.

20200717_114503.jpg