• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

toyota prado 150 tire pressure for srilankan road conditions?

dtrum

13 hours ago, Kavvz said:

I don't have a Prado, but I do know there's no point in shelling out extra bucks for Nitrogen.

Its usefulness for regular road vehicles is negligible. If you get it free as part of the service then fine, but if you have to pay extra for Nitrogen : Save your money. It's pointless. 

Well there is some use for me, don't really know how this works so someone please explain. Two of my tyres right now are in bad shape, Needs to replaced very soon :). There is a patch that is leaking air and when I inflate that tyre with nitrogen, the tyre seems to hold the air a bit longer. Once That tyre went flat and I had a hard time replacing the tyre given the small parking space I have.

So nitrogen works handy for me, Plus given the small price difference between normal air nowadays, i think it is a viable solution until replacement. Btw My jeep is not a daily runner so I inflate the tyres this way.

I know it is pointless if the tyres are new and in good condition.

Edited by top tip

Well....the air pressure inside your tire (even though you pump X psi) will increase with heat (look around the internet..I remember some literature that discussed the psi differences for each degree of temperature change). Normal air expands more than Nitrogen. Therefore with normal air the pressure inside the tyre gets built up more than the nitrogen filled tyre. More inner pressure implies greater rate of "exhalation" of the air inside from the bad spot. Thus..the normal air would exit "more" air out of the bad spot (since it "expanded" more) whilst the nitrogen tyre would not.

14 hours ago, top tip said:

Well there is some use for me, don't really know how this works so someone please explain. Two of my tyres right now are in bad shape, Needs to replaced very soon :). There is a patch that is leaking air and when I inflate that tyre with nitrogen, the tyre seems to hold the air a bit longer. Once That tyre went flat and I had a hard time replacing the tyre given the small parking space I have.

So nitrogen works handy for me, Plus given the small price difference between normal air nowadays, i think it is a viable solution until replacement. Btw My jeep is not a daily runner so I inflate the tyres this way.

I know it is pointless if the tyres are new and in good condition.

11 hours ago, iRage said:

Well....the air pressure inside your tire (even though you pump X psi) will increase with heat (look around the internet..I remember some literature that discussed the psi differences for each degree of temperature change). Normal air expands more than Nitrogen. Therefore with normal air the pressure inside the tyre gets built up more than the nitrogen filled tyre. More inner pressure implies greater rate of "exhalation" of the air inside from the bad spot. Thus..the normal air would exit "more" air out of the bad spot (since it "expanded" more) whilst the nitrogen tyre would not.

Maybe you guys have a point for this specific instance...But I'm still in a " Maybe - can't hurt to try -can't dispute it really" frame of mind over it! :D 

@top tip: When I have a slow puncture that I can't get fixed right away: I usually grab come chalk (or I stick a sticker on the rim) to mark off where the puncture is; and when I park; I make sure that the punctured part is at the very top of the tyre. I find that the rate of air-loss is slower that way, rather than if I park where the puncture is at the bottom of the tyre.  (Thinking about it; this too is completely a " Maybe - can't hurt to try -can't dispute it really" bit of advice though! :D )

Edited by Kavvz

@Kavvz..I just explained a probable reason...I have never used nitrogen and I probably never will (that might change if I get myself a track car and decide on attending track events...). The whole air leaking out thing...I have a serious case of OCD when it comes to my car...so if there was an air leak I would get it sorted out ASAP or go completely insane....so as you can see..no matter what the outcome is I still probably would not use nitrogen :D 

• Haha 1