• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Shifting to N while the engine is running

Hyaenidae

Question

Ok so I'm going to sound like a total noob for asking this question but...

Have you guys ever heard of an automatic transmission (conventional automatic, not CVT or DCT) wearing off when it's in Neutral while idling the engine and the vehicle is stationary?

I came across this post in an automotive forum that said shifting to N while stopped at stoplights/traffic could induce more wear and tear to the transmission clutches (not linkages and other stuff that gets used when using the shifter but the clutch plates themselves) than leaving it in gear and using the brake to keep the vehicle stationary. (I'll try and link the post, I was reading it on my mobile)

I myself was in the opinion that the wear caused by either method is similar and negligible, but I just wanted to ask: have you guys ever heard of such a phenomenon?

Edited by Hyaenidae

2 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

The Belta is a CVT innit? Since it made an audible sound which went away when following this procedure I think this is applicable for CVTs as well

I was following this thread from the beginning and there I realized that my car also gives that slight thud when I start it up next time as the guys mentioned. I currently park using the method mentioned by @trinity .

Should try your method from tomorrow and see if it makes any difference!

• Like 1

Just now, Dee Jay said:

I was following this thread from the beginning and there I realized that my car also gives that slight thud when I start it up next time as the guys mentioned. I currently park using the method mentioned by @trinity .

Should try your method from tomorrow and see if it makes any difference!

Good Luck!

• Like 1