• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Used car/suv around 4.0 to 4.5 million

Urmask

Hi guys,

Currently I use a Suzuki Swift and planning to upgrade to a new vehicle. My budget is 4-4.5 million. I have couple of options in my mind and confused what to buy. Need your support to get your idea on below models (Plusses and minuses, anything I should worry about). 

Toyota Allion 260 - MFY 2009

Hyundai Tucson 2011 (Petrol)

Kia Sportage 2011 (Petrol) 

Toyota RAV4 2008 (Petrol)

Honda Grace 2015 

Honda Vezel 2014/2015

just looking for a comfortable & reliable vehicle where I drive around 1300 km per month (Mostly Outstation). Would be great if the car provides a good road presence as well. 

thanks in advance 

Try to avoid the Vezel & Grace *if* possible due to their DCT issues.

Old Rav4s had low fuel economy. Maybe 2008s have better economy. As an SUV buyer, you shouldn't expect more than 7kmpl in city & 9-10 outstation. Ask @iRage for more info on SUVS.

Allion is a good choice but no road presence of course, they are so common.

Tucson & Sorento are reliable, have decent pulling power & good features but not sure of spare part costs/maintenance though it shouldn't be that bad.

If nothing else succeeds, go the Toyota way (compromising exclusivity ofc)..

Edited by □AVANTE□

Right now your main concern should be what you want !

All those vehicles are in different categories and offer different things and are good at certain things whilst are bad at others that the other car is good at.

Example...the Allion is comfortable....but it is not as fun to drive as the Grace; and the Grace being fun is not as comfortable as the Allion. Then the list goes on....so what do YOU want in the first place ? Do you need a Crossover ? If you do need one do you really need a 7 seater ?

On 10/7/2019 at 8:52 AM, iRage said:

Right now your main concern should be what you want !

All those vehicles are in different categories and offer different things and are good at certain things whilst are bad at others that the other car is good at.

Example...the Allion is comfortable....but it is not as fun to drive as the Grace; and the Grace being fun is not as comfortable as the Allion. Then the list goes on....so what do YOU want in the first place ? Do you need a Crossover ? If you do need one do you really need a 7 seater ?

I would love to drive a crossover. But does it always average under 8km/l ? No need of a 7 seater. Well my main concern is should be comfortable and should have a road presence for some extent. Driving pleasure is not that important since I am a uncle type driver ? once I was planning to go for a old BMW 320i with 140k in ODM just to have that feeling. But my friend stopped me saying all the possible trouble that I have to go through. 

On 10/6/2019 at 11:30 PM, □AVANTE□ said:

Try to avoid the Vezel & Grace *if* possible due to their DCT issues.

Old Rav4s had low fuel economy. Maybe 2008s have better economy. As an SUV buyer, you shouldn't expect more than 7kmpl in city & 9-10 outstation. Ask @iRage for more info on SUVS.

Allion is a good choice but no road presence of course, they are so common.

Tucson & Sorento are reliable, have decent pulling power & good features but not sure of spare part costs/maintenance though it shouldn't be that bad.

If nothing else succeeds, go the Toyota way (compromising exclusivity ofc)..

7-9 km/l ??? Is it that bad with all SUV ? Better to save some money in fuel and repair the DCT once I face the trouble ? Thanks for the input mate 

Well..for a gasoline crossover...yes...you are only going to get about 8kmpl on average (I said AVERAGE....some get a bit higher..some a little bit lower). Our 2007 RAV4 (we owned from when it was 6 months old till now); gets about 7in SL (about 6 when I drive in SL because I get to travel in the thickest of traffic)..it got about 8 on average when we used it in Japan. I had three other RAV4 of the same type in 2 other countries and those two got the same fuel figures. Our CR-V did a bit better than that in SL...close to 9. My friends and the short term X trails I have used got about the same as well. I had a A10 and A20 series RAV4s as wel and those got close to 8ish bt those had smaller engines (2000cc as opposed to the 2400cc of the A30 series RAV4).

If you want more fuel efficiency..then you need to look at a Hybrid crossover...a Hybrid Harrier gets a bit more than that..even though the Harrier is a hybrid the fuel efficiency is not that great because some of them have large gasoline engines....a new Hybrid X Trail is pricey and an old one is probably going to cost you in Hybrid system fix ups before using. XTrail Hybrid was not that efficient either....You can look in to a diesel crossover (specifically the Korean ones) but then the purchase price will be a bit higher than a Petrol RAV4, etc...Even a vehicle like the Rush only got a bit more fuel efficiency than the others (heavier body for a an engine designed for a sedan sized car, etc...). You could look in to CHRs and Vezels (but the Vezel has the DCT niggles if not used properly...but you could go to a Vezel gasoline one). 

If you are just looking for the feel...then fine...go buy a properly maintained RAV4 or something where most of the depreciation has finished. But do not spend a lot expecting that you will make up for it in fuel efficiency or whatever. 

For most Japanese cars 140K is not a high mileage and it certainly is not a high mileage for a BMW. What matters is if the car has been taken care of properly during that 140K.

15 hours ago, iRage said:

Well..for a gasoline crossover...yes...you are only going to get about 8kmpl on average (I said AVERAGE....some get a bit higher..some a little bit lower). Our 2007 RAV4 (we owned from when it was 6 months old till now); gets about 7in SL (about 6 when I drive in SL because I get to travel in the thickest of traffic)..it got about 8 on average when we used it in Japan. I had three other RAV4 of the same type in 2 other countries and those two got the same fuel figures. Our CR-V did a bit better than that in SL...close to 9. My friends and the short term X trails I have used got about the same as well. I had a A10 and A20 series RAV4s as wel and those got close to 8ish bt those had smaller engines (2000cc as opposed to the 2400cc of the A30 series RAV4).

If you want more fuel efficiency..then you need to look at a Hybrid crossover...a Hybrid Harrier gets a bit more than that..even though the Harrier is a hybrid the fuel efficiency is not that great because some of them have large gasoline engines....a new Hybrid X Trail is pricey and an old one is probably going to cost you in Hybrid system fix ups before using. XTrail Hybrid was not that efficient either....You can look in to a diesel crossover (specifically the Korean ones) but then the purchase price will be a bit higher than a Petrol RAV4, etc...Even a vehicle like the Rush only got a bit more fuel efficiency than the others (heavier body for a an engine designed for a sedan sized car, etc...). You could look in to CHRs and Vezels (but the Vezel has the DCT niggles if not used properly...but you could go to a Vezel gasoline one). 

If you are just looking for the feel...then fine...go buy a properly maintained RAV4 or something where most of the depreciation has finished. But do not spend a lot expecting that you will make up for it in fuel efficiency or whatever. 

For most Japanese cars 140K is not a high mileage and it certainly is not a high mileage for a BMW. What matters is if the car has been taken care of properly during that 140K.

Ma man, thank you very much for your valuable input !!! 

On 10/6/2019 at 11:01 PM, Urmask said:

Toyota Allion 260 - MFY 2009

Hyundai Tucson 2011 (Petrol)

Kia Sportage 2011 (Petrol) 

Toyota RAV4 2008 (Petrol)

Honda Grace 2015 

Honda Vezel 2014/2015

Well the Allion will be a decent A-B car but being a decade old a little hard to find an unmolested one. Due to high popularity most have been abused by negligent owners. If theres a verifiable specimen (maybe a trusted friend is selling his car) its a good choice.

The Korean SUVs might be your best bet -since you travel long distance and not only city driving fuel consumption will be less you get comfort as well as road presence. 

Rav4s are a bit overpriced so for the price you pay you can get a much better condition Hyundai/Kia.

The thing with the Vezel/Grace is the DCT issue...a genuine  low mileage specimen which has not developed the issues might be an option specially if your driving conditions are not harsh : i.e regular driving in heavy traffic. Of the two the grace would be a better bet. 

6 hours ago, iRage said:

Also...not sure about the Vezel...but the gasoline CHR is rated a bit more than what the A30 series RAV4 was rates at...so I suppose in real life it would be close to the RAV4 but a little bit better ?

In thick traffic CHR does around the same as a RAV4  (7-8kmpl)

But on long runs it does better (13-15kmpl)

*This is the AWD version I'm talking about 

15 hours ago, matroska said:

Well the Allion will be a decent A-B car but being a decade old a little hard to find an unmolested one. Due to high popularity most have been abused by negligent owners. If theres a verifiable specimen (maybe a trusted friend is selling his car) its a good choice.

The Korean SUVs might be your best bet -since you travel long distance and not only city driving fuel consumption will be less you get comfort as well as road presence. 

Rav4s are a bit overpriced so for the price you pay you can get a much better condition Hyundai/Kia.

The thing with the Vezel/Grace is the DCT issue...a genuine  low mileage specimen which has not developed the issues might be an option specially if your driving conditions are not harsh : i.e regular driving in heavy traffic. Of the two the grace would be a better bet. 

Thanks a lot, any thought on Harrier 2008 ish ?? 2.4 liter version 

8 hours ago, Urmask said:

Thanks a lot, any thought on Harrier 2008 ish ?? 2.4 liter version 

Well..you are looking at  U30 series Harrier. The easiest way to describe the feeling is imagine it as a bit more fancier and luxo version of a RAV4 with more bells and whistles. The engine and drive trains (well most of it) is actually shared with the RAV4 of the same era and before it (the 2AZ engine from the A30 series RAV4 and the AWD components from an A20 series RAV4). Due to how Toyota wanted to position the RAV4 and the Harrier in the market; the RAV4 was marketed as a light off-roader whilst the Harrier was marketed and a road cruiser with AWD capability for slippery roads. For the most part both vehicles can do the same sort of off-roading although I do find the suspension of the Harrier a little bit too soft for it.   

For the most part the Harrier and the RAV4 has shared pretty much the same platform in slightly different forms (Toyota's definition of platforms is more about engineering and development process as oposed to design....so even when a platform name changes the actual hardware components remain the same...eg...the 2nd gen RAV4 was based on the MC platform whilst the Harrier of the era was based on the K platform. The MC platform is an adoption of an updated smaller version of the K platform. On the other hand the K platform was used for wide and narrow body vehicles and the narrow body K was more or less the same as the MC...so yeah..confusing..much easier if you do up an equation).

The vehicle tech is reliable and robust as any Toyota of the era and how reliable the vehicle it self is dependent on the service history of the vehicle you are looking at (was it taken care of and was it loved). 

A lot of people say they want a SUV for its feel. Well...the RAV4s and Harriers and Xtrails are mid sized crossovers....these vehicles have no (miniaturized) feeling of an actual off-road vehicle like a Land Cruiser (any form), Hilux Surf or a Patrol.  In fact these types of vehicles had not felt off-roadish like since the Pajero iO, last generatiion of the Vitara and perhaps the 3rd gen of the RAV4 (slightly). The Harrier has never felt off-roady. These crossovers feel more like an overgrown and oversized staion wagon than an off-road vehicle.