• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Which is a good vehicle for a 3.5 - 4 mil budget?

LCD

My Requirements:

- Good Fuel efficiency (10 - 11 kmpl in the city would be fine) 
- Good resale value
- Good Comfort 

I might be thinking like a typical Sri Lankan but it seems like to survive in the SL car market without loosing a lot you will have to think like one :P
After doing the initial research it seems like a Toyota is the best option in SL if you want a good resale value and Allion and Premio stands above the top which also meets my requirements.
However if i'm to buy either one of them i would have to look at a car which is manufactured in 2007 which would have a mileage above 100k or 150k . 

I would like to know from the experts in this forum of what you guys think is the best car to buy for the price that i have mentioned which also meets my requirements? Also is it worth buying a very old Japanese car such as allion or a premio  for this price? 

Thank you very much. Would highly appreciate your suggestions. :)

Edited by LCD

Are you keen on buying a sedan? Or are you okay with any body shape? If so:

Used:

Toyota Aqua ticks all the boxes (if you are fine with a hybrid)

2010-11 3rd gen Toyota Prius is also considerable. Later models still have some depreciation to take on (some rough analysis on a few ads shows that the later models lose about.

Old:

2006-07 Corolla 121 has awesome resale value

Corolla 141 is also a good choice

If you don't mind an MPV, the new Toyota Roomy & Tank are awesome but I'm not sure of resale.

I didn't mention the Vitz because it's underpowered & overtakes are difficult.

All the above cars are from toyota because those are the least-naughtiest & most economical cars I could come up with for that budget. New or used it up to you, but slightly used is the sweet spot (almost new gadgets & car, less depreciation) Also, it is worth buying a used car as you can avoid terrible depreciation that comes with a new car. But in Sri lanka's case, you better be careful of who you buy the car from. Take an expert with you, check service records & test drive properly. You never know what these poor things have been through all those years.

Edited by □AVANTE□
  • Thanks 1

With your requirements, you’ll have to look for a Toyota. Allion and Premio will fit into your budget, facelifted 240 series or 260 series. Go for a one with all the service records, but good examples are pretty hard to come by. They are good cars for fuel economy and comfort but if you’re a person who enjoys driving, you’ll have to look elsewhere(Honda or Mazda, but your requirements would not be met). Be patient and find one. Also you’ll be able to get a 1000cc unreg Vitz, which is not a bad car either, as it would be less of a hassle to maintain. When going for a car like Allion/Premio always set aside at least some money for the running repairs such as AC compressor, engine mounts, steering rack or the suspension. In that case Vitz is better, as you’ll get a newer car. Don’t go for a hybrid if you don’t do at least 1500km per month. If so, go for a one with a newly replaced hybrid battery.

Again, you’ll have the 2007-2010 Axio. This  shares most of the mechanical parts with the Allion/Premio, so the same story applies here. Always make sure that the mileage is correct. Ask for the service records and eco test reports to confirm the mileage. Patience is the No.1 requirement when buying a used car in SL. Make sure to get the help of a person who can assure you that the car has not been met with any accidents. Never be in a hurry to grab one. Again, if you prefer buying an unreg Vitz from a car sale, make sure to get a help from a friend to check whether the auction sheet is true, as most of the unreg cars sitting in sales might be repaired ones with altered auction sheets. There is an page is fb who search whether the auctions sheet is an original one. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

The whole "it will sell well" if it is a Toyota; followed by the belief that Allion/Premio/Axio retains it value in gold, are nothing but myths. Good, well maintained cars, irrespective of brand sell well. Crappy cars, that look and drive like crap, do not sell. 

It is just that 90% of the Toyotas are dressed up before quick sales and people blindly buy them for ridiculous prices. Is the Allion/Premio/Axio the best buy for you ? No...but it will be the easier buy for you (and the costliest)  because there is always a moron who will buy it off of you even if it is falling apart (as long as you put some cataloy and super glue to hold things together when you are selling it).

Mazdas and Mitsubishis are a bit more engaging to drive (although I do find the MItsubishis a bit plasticy and noisy) and you will have better luck finding a car that has been taken care of properly. The Corolla (export variant) is also a decent buy as there are plenty of agent imports that were imported on permits. But that car too has the same fate as the Mazda and Mitsubishi because there won't be a 100 people having orgasms over it like they would with the Allion/Premio/Axio (mind you these people having orgasms over these cars would never buy it...but just give you the thumbs up for you).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Try for Axio 161 for a less molested type or Corolla 141. Axio has slight edge on fuel economy but 141 is a spacious comfy car. There are good Toyotas as well as bad Hondas. It's just that the possibility of hitting a lemon is high with Toyota and less with other brands. Regardless of the brand you should always expected to do some maintenance if you buy a used car so don't spend all your money on the purchase. Lancer Ex or a Mazda 3/Axela are also really nice cars that you should check out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First of all thank you everyone for your kind suggestions. 

@□AVANTE□  Only problem with the aqua is the Hybrid battery. If i buy an old one i would have to replace it by spending about 400k. As a person who drives about 500Km per month i'm not sure whether it is worth it. Heard that the Corolla 141 is a really good car which has a problem with the fuel efficiency making it less famous among SL car buyers.  Not a fan of MPV's and i totally agree with you regarding the fact that the Vitz is under powered. I will surely take in your suggestions when looking for a car. 

@alpha17 Vitz seem to be a bit under powered. Heard that the axio has a CVT gearbox issue if it's not properly maintained. So buying an old one would be risky since some owners don't maintain cars that well. I will surely take in your suggestions when looking for a car. 

@iRage "there is always a moron who will buy it off of you even if it is falling apart" Totally agreed :D Corolla 141 only issue is the fuel economy. I will also check on Mazda's and Mitsubishi's as well (Y)

@
hrm Corolla 141 only issue is the fuel economy. Otherwise heard that the car is really good. "if you buy a used car so don't spend all your money on the purchase" good thing to keep in mind. Regarding the lancer ex, a person who owns it told me that the maintenance cost is a bit too high. Will check on the Mazda axela as well. 

Also guys do you have an idea regarding the fuel consumption of the corolla 141? I don't know anyone who owns it. 

Edited by LCD

141s on wards from 2010 or so are not that bad on fuel as they have a updated engine compared to 2007/8 models. But there're Pakistan imported ones as well and I'm not sure how good they are.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, LCD said:

Good Fuel efficiency (10 - 11 kmpl in the city would be fine) 
- Good resale value
- Good Comfort 

A good idea specially when buying used cars is to avoid the high-demand models. For instance 90% of those "market" models are used as currency - to exchange hands to make a quick buck etc so they're more likely to be molested. And the 'toyota market' is slowly dying out - as I know 3 toyota owners who struggled to sell a Premio, Allion and an Axio 141 respectively late last year . So choosing your car based on what the next buyer would like to buy is like bringing up your daughter in a way that her future boyfriend will like her.  I'm an open minded car buyer so each time i change cars I usually go visit a few cars of all types and get an idea - and almost all the time i run into many Toyota's with dodgy histories, open books and non verifiable mileage  . Honda's are increasingly falling into that category too - much less with Mazda and Mitsubishi . 

12 hours ago, □AVANTE□ said:

2006-07 Corolla 121 has awesome resale value

No offense but avoid 121 like the plague 90% of 121's are hideously maintained lemons and absolute cans-of-worms. 

24 minutes ago, hrm said:

Try for Axio 161 for a less molested

this is true - 161's are slightly rare but most were permit imported  and properly maintained...decent trouble free car. 

For Sedans - look for Mazda3/Lancer / 161 or a Corolla 141 (non-jdm) .... 

a left field choice is to  be a bit brave and go for a GP5 ....great value for money just keep a few lakhs in hand for a dual clutch replacement the hybrid system on the Honda's have seemed to fared better than the contemporary aquas. It's just the DCT gremlins that are there but due to that the cars are a lot cheaper it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy cheap and keep cash in hand for any potential repairs. 

48 minutes ago, matroska said:

For Sedans - look for Mazda3/Lancer / 161 or a Corolla 141 (non-jdm) ....

1 hour ago, hrm said:

Lancer Ex or a Mazda 3/Axela are also really nice cars that you should check out.

Please don't recommend Lancers to obvious baiyas ? 

Let's keep the number of molested Lancers as low as we could ?

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

Please don't recommend Lancers to obvious baiyas ? 

Let's keep the number of molested Lancers as low as we could ?

I'm not going to judge people by their vehicle choices nor requirements. Many people in this country are in struggle for their daily living and people have specific requirements to suite them. Car could be the last thing someone can worry about so that's about it. After all for whatever reason we are still in a developing country not Japan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hrm said:

I'm not going to judge people by their vehicle choices nor requirements. Many people in this country are in struggle for their daily living and people have specific requirements to suite them.

Not judging anyone here, I get that people have specific requirements - it's just that when recovering as much as possible from the money spent for the car becomes the topmost priority, usually, the car itself ends up paying the price with its longevity and reliability.

3 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

Not judging anyone here, I get that people have specific requirements - it's just that when recovering as much as possible from the money spent for the car becomes the topmost priority, usually, the car itself ends up paying the price with its longevity and reliability.

Correct and that's why we are advising people on how to maintain them properly and most importantly how to identify and avoid a lemon when buying in this forum. Lately I stopped recommending my car model to anyone after seeing so many negative remarks here and also due to many examples of hacked ones I have personally seen despite the car is actually being nice. But have to accept the fact that many Toyota owners are just thinking the car as an investment/pride while clearly it's not. That FB group is a good example.

1 hour ago, LCD said:

First of all thank you everyone for your kind suggestions. 

@iRage "there is always a moron who will buy it off of you even if it is falling apart" Totally agreed :D Corolla 141 only issue is the fuel economy. I will also check on Mazda's and Mitsubishi's as well (Y)

Don't get me wrong..ther eis nothing wrong with the Allion and Premio. They are simple old school tech that gets the job done (move people/goods from A to B in decent comfort). The issue is what our people have done with them and the mentality that surrounds them. As a result you end up paying quite a high price for an old vehicle that has a very high risk of being a lemon. Do a a cost benefit and risk analysis..and you will see that it really is not worth it. If you find one that you can trust for 100% at a realistic price (there are few around)...by all means buy it.

The issue with the export Corolla mostly is another belief/myth spawned by our car salesmen, which is it assembled in Thailand so there is no market (based on the assumption that build quality is poor..again..not valid anymore).

How much do the gasoline Axio 160 series go for ?

Also....be realistic about what kind of fuel mileage you expect.....it is highly subjective (for example...same car same driver....driving from Pelawatte to Wallawatte at 7.00am everyday has a completely different fuel economy from driving the same route at 9.00am.) Secondly...when a Sri Lankan talk about fuel figures...they are highly exaggerated.

3 minutes ago, hrm said:

Correct and that's why we are advising people on how to maintain them properly and most importantly how to identify and avoid a lemon when buying in this forum. Lately I stopped recommending my car model to anyone after seeing so many negative remarks here and also due to many examples of hacked ones I have personally seen despite the car is actually being nice. But have to accept the fact that many Toyota owners are just thinking the car as an investment/pride while clearly it's not. That FB group is a good example.

Well regardless of the brand it just hurts to see a good car falling into the hands of someone whose absolute priority is to save as much as possible when he finally gets rid of it, doubly so when you know the chance of said person finding a well-maintained car in good condition is high (which is the case with Lancers) because such people would undoubtedly turn that perfectly good car into a hacked ruin.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

...and a lot of these people who are struggling to make a living are struggling because they are buying vehicles beyond their means just so that they can impress the neighbors and have it as a symbol of wealth they do not have. Thus every 0.6438L saved per km makes a difference. This is also fueled by the fact that these people think the car is an appreciating asset (i.e. an investment) and then are struck with reality..so they resort to unethical and illegal things like meter tampering because they want to recover their investment through any means.

24 minutes ago, hrm said:

That FB group is a good example.

So now there is rumor that there will be a new Premio...but a combined model for both the Allion and Premio. This was just reported by an automotive tabloid (paparazzi type magazine).

Apparently the plan is to have a bit of a larger version of the Corolla (based on the same TNGA-B platform) so that Toyota will have a sedan to fill in between the Corolla and the Camry (now that the Mark X is also going); with its unique look and feel to it. But...I am sure to the FB group members' dismay...the tabloid also reports that the car will have only a 2.0L gasoline or 2.0L Hybrid (so similar to choices of what the export variants have). I suppose it will look less aggressive than the Corolla...who knows maybe it will look more like the Chinese and SEA version of the new Corolla).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iRage said:

So now there is rumor that there will be a new Premio...but a combined model for both the Allion and Premio. This was just reported by an automotive tabloid (paparazzi type magazine).

Apparently the plan is to have a bit of a larger version of the Corolla (based on the same TNGA-B platform) so that Toyota will have a sedan to fill in between the Corolla and the Camry (now that the Mark X is also going); with its unique look and feel to it. But...I am sure to the FB group members' dismay...the tabloid also reports that the car will have only a 2.0L gasoline or 2.0L Hybrid (so similar to choices of what the export variants have). I suppose it will look less aggressive than the Corolla...who knows maybe it will look more like the Chinese and SEA version of the new Corolla).

Oh so that might be the thing that guy in the group was saying that factory contact told him that a newer version would come. Probably we won't see it here if current tax system remains same.

Just now, hrm said:

Oh so that might be the thing that guy in the group was saying that factory contact told him that a newer version would come. Probably we won't see it here if current tax system remains same.

Well his vendor....but again..it is not a Premio per say but a dressed up Corolla to fill the 2L car segment. Its hard to determine what exactly the Japanese sentence means. It could mean that the Premio is just a grade in the existing Corolla line up with different trim and accessories and specs; a sub model of the Corolla (like how it was first Corona Premio before becoming Premio) or just a new car based on the Corolla platform.  The Premio/Allion did not do well on sales and according to reports the main domestic buyers were car rental companies where the cars were rented as self drive cars or chauffeur driven. Either way..the Premio/Allion as a car in the segment we know it as is gone...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hrm said:

Lately I stopped recommending my car model to anyone after seeing so many negative remarks here and also due to many examples of hacked ones

There's really nothing wrong with the 260's : It may not be for everyone but for most A-B basic motorists it would be a fine choice but it has/used to have a very souped up image - I like to give every car a fair chance so when I was on the market for a car i did check out a few 260's - it wasn't my kind of car - (maybe a decades time when I've entered my 40's I might opt for something similar )but it's a good  comfy vehicle  just not the '100% car' people show it to be.  Thanks to the perception it's overpriced, hacked and abused by everyone. 

I recommend people to try alternatives - see outta the box ... 

3 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Please don't recommend Lancers to obvious baiyas

I dunno ...the fact that the potential buyer has the decency to check out a forum that just go with the trend might mean he is a little open minded than the random  buiya from kohuwala . Who knows his  father in law may have told him to check out the resale value before buying a car 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, matroska said:

No offense but avoid 121 like the plague 90% of 121's are hideously maintained lemons and absolute cans-of-worms.

a left field choice is to  be a bit brave and go for a GP5 ....great value for money just keep a few lakhs in hand for a dual clutch replacement the hybrid system on the Honda's have seemed to fared better than the contemporary aquas. It's just the DCT gremlins that are there but due to that the cars are a lot cheaper it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy cheap and keep cash in hand for any potential repairs. 

I was gonna recommend the GP5..but avoided it because of the DCT & maintenance issues. Otherwise Honda FTW! Your plan is right, but I know some people (my dad included) who hate spending time in the garage even though they can afford it easily.

Also are 121s really that molested? I have seen 3 clean examples the past few months (then again, 121s are not as common as most toyotas) and it does seem there are good ones out there!

Edited by □AVANTE□

2 hours ago, □AVANTE□ said:

Also are 121s really that molested? I have seen 3 clean examples the past few months

Very Rare...those are the ones that are not sold. ...IF you go to a car sale they have mostly sale-painted cars with ill fitting beadings(with paint marks on beading) paint-bubbles, and rattly inner bits. 

• Sad 1

@matroska  Yeah i agree, most of the old toyota's are molested. That's why i'm still thinking whether to buy one since i'm not a car expert. " I usually go visit a few cars of all types and get an idea" - Will definitely do this to get an idea of which one would be the best.  Also how much would it cost to replace the dual clutch in GP5? 

8 hours ago, iRage said:

If you find one that you can trust for 100% at a realistic price (there are few around)...by all means buy it.

@iRage Will do thanks for your opinion.  When it comes to fuel efficiency I'm expecting at least 10kmpl in the city. "export Corolla" You mean the corolla 141 right? Heard that it does only about 7kmpl in the city. 

@□AVANTE□ Yes previously i was thinking of going for the gp5 but backed up a bit when i found out about the dual clutch issue. If it doesn't cost a fortune and if it is like a one time fix, i would be okay with it. 

Anyway guys thanks for your opinions and suggestions. Really appreciate it.