• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Power steering error code - HELP NEEDED

AmilaCK

Hi guys. Having an Honda Accord CF3 here and had an issue with Electronic Power Steering

So last day when i started the car, there was no power steering and EPS light came up on dash.

Scaned and getting this error code.

3-1 : Lower FET (Motor Drive Transistor) Stuck on

Do I replace the Rack with motor or replace only the EPS computer box?

my mechanic said to replace the EPS computer box then everything will be fine.

but when i have done couple of researches, it says some people replaced the power steering motor because they got some this code when internal short circuit in the motor.

Any idea on this? Which item do i need to replace?

do i need to replace computer box and rack with motor both?

EPS  Computer Part number

39980 SOA 003 Or 39980 SOA 043

Where i can find them?
NIN and maruichi has no boxed in stock.

Hope your valuable replies.

Regards.

eps.jpg

17 minutes ago, AmilaCK said:

scaned and getting this error code.

3-1 : Lower FET (Motor Drive Transistor) Stuck on

Do I replace the Rack with motor or replace only the EPS computer box?

my mechanic said to replace the EPS computer box then everything will be fine.

but when i have done couple of researches, it says some people replaced the power steering motor because they got some this code when internal short circuit in the motor.

it is possible that a short in the motor can cause overcurrent through the FET and damage it. So even if you connect a new ECU, the same problem could come back. The damage can occur at once or over-time(ageing).

But since the FET is already damaged (latched), you have to change the ECU anyway. Maybe its possible to check the motor for faults without opening it..

• Like 2

On 10/1/2019 at 5:30 PM, ajm said:

it is possible that a short in the motor can cause overcurrent through the FET and damage it. So even if you connect a new ECU, the same problem could come back. The damage can occur at once or over-time(ageing).

But since the FET is already damaged (latched), you have to change the ECU anyway. Maybe its possible to check the motor for faults without opening it..

Thanx AJM

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 5:30 PM, ajm said:

We have  checked lot of places first for EPS computer but no luck. but Racks available at Ich*ro-Delkanda and Honda *puls place at Malambe. prices are between 20k-35k LKR and no one knows the milage on them. ?

So i didnt buy them and put the car in to my friends garage. ?

We have unload the rack and checked the motor. It was working fine but etting error code and misses the power steering continuously. need to stop the car and start few time to off EPS warning light and thats how it was going. ?

After all when we checked, The issue was there at motor. not EPS computer module. Thankfully we never replaced the EPS computer module or rack without checking. ?

So first removed the rack and checked it was good or bad. ?

Firstly we have seen the dust boots are damaged on each sides of rods. we replaced them and then open the motor by removing its housing, it was full of water inside and all the brushes worn out. ?

So we repaired the water damaged motor and clean everything. put the new brushes and made that  to the original factory condition and put in to car. ?

Boom. Now its running buttery smooth without any EPS error codes ??

Thanx ajm for the inputs and really appriciate.

Thank you.