• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Geely Panda v Tata Nano

vag2

Hey Guys,

I am in the market looking for a 2nd car(Automatic) for about 1.5million.

Came across Panda and Nano.

which one can be recommended in terms of

1.parts availability

2.reliability

3.resale value

4.ride comfort w. 4 passengers

5. the newer the better

I know Panda sucks in 1,2,3 and Nano in 4.

But there are many Nanos in use as Rental cars, isnt it suitable for home use?

Edited by vag2

I would go for a Panda in a heartbeat, even though it fails on 1,2,3 points, because Nano is like a matchbox compared to the Panda. Also the panda might be safer during an accident. But remember Panda totally sucks when compared with other vehicles, but here it’s the Nano which I believe, isn’t a proper car at all. Just a four wheeled three wheeler with AC?.

On 9/28/2019 at 1:46 PM, vag2 said:

Hey Guys,

I am in the market looking for a 2nd car(Automatic) for about 1.5million.

Came across Panda and Nano.

which one can be recommended in terms of

1.parts availability

2.reliability

3.resale value

4.ride comfort w. 4 passengers

5. the newer the better

I know Panda sucks in 1,2,3 and Nano in 4.

But there are many Nanos in use as Rental cars, isnt it suitable for home use?

Wouldnt 1.5 fetch you more options (albeit a bit older)? Of the two the Panda is more car..if it is about travelling on  really narrow roads with massive pot holes then the Nano trumps. Both cars detiorate pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

Why have you narrowed it down to panda and nano? And why automatic?

If you are happy with an older one, there are plenty of options that will easily beat your choice in terms of parts availability (except body panels and the like) and rider comfort. Look for a well maintained one and will give the panda a run for it's money. Only downside is when you are selling it. But given that the car is already depreciated when you buy it, you want loose much.

Consumables for common old vehicles are very easy to find and cheap. Most engines are pretty darn reliable. But my understanding is that older auto gearboxes are not very reliable. 

• Thanks 1

If your wife is driving, better avoid the nano. Panda with power steering would be better. Nano being discontinued is one more reason to avoid it. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-07-11/rip-nano-india-s-car-market-is-no-place-for-cheap-thrills

For a 'car' that's almost a failure with a short production run and now discontinued, availability of parts is questionable. 

Also keep in mind that ladies can drive stick. I know one who learnt to drive auto was given a chance to drive a j70 Prado. She loved it. But didn't love it enough to go through the hassles of updating her driving license.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2019 at 8:01 AM, ajm said:

arent there any Korean small cars for this price range, albeit a bit older? I would go for a 10year old Korean car than a 5 year old Chinese car!

yes they are quite older, finding spare parts and time fore repairs is a concern.

Anyone has experience with the 4-wheeler from Bajaj, called "Cute" or something?

Price, ride quality (compared to a 3-wheeler) etc

2 hours ago, matroska said:

It looks basically like a tuk with 4 wheels...I think it did not get clearance in India due to safety concerns. 

it seems now it is cleared, under the Quadricycle category.

Should be safer than a 3-wheeler or a bike which they want to replace, no ?

23 hours ago, vag2 said:

it seems now it is cleared, under the Quadricycle category. 

Should be safer than a 3-wheeler or a bike which they want to replace, no ?

yes Bajaj had to fight many years in court to get approval in India, now release under different category.

wonder if it can be driven with a light vehicle license here (or 3-wheel licence needed?)

looks like a handy runner for short errands in all weather and safer than bikes or 3-wheelers in my opinion.