• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Clarification on Honda CR-V and Peugeot 3008

Dhaham

Question

I’m considering Honda CR-V & Peugeot 3008 for my permit. I need to get some points clarified. It would be much appreciated if you can help me.
1. In case of Peugeot, I Have two options. Either to buy from local agent (at a higher price for lesser options) or to import from UK. Will UK version be suitable for Sri Lankan conditions. (Especially for Petrol, Temperature range, humidity & road conditions).
2. In case of Honda CR-V, only option is Australian version. ( Local agent’s price & JDM price is not affordable for me). Will this be suitable for Sri Lankan environment?
3. Out of 3008 & CR-V, what will be more suitable to be used in Sri Lanka?
Thanks in advance.

If I’m not wrong the Australian CRV would have a harder suspension tune compared to the JDM CRV. Australian roads have a fair bit of bumps and potholes compared to Japanese roads and due to this I have read that Australian manufactures/dealers tune their vehicles’ suspension towards the hard side so that the suspension doesn’t wear out fast.

On 9/20/2019 at 9:18 PM, vitz said:

Regarding the use of Octane 92 for Euro imported 3008!!!! one of my colleague got sudden stop of engine after using 92 on 3008. He had to get it repaired....

However, before it happened he has used 92 occasionally but nothing had happened.   

Is that 3008 a one imported by local agent (tropicalized version) or a one imported from UK (from other car importer)?

10 hours ago, vitz said:

car importer 

In case of a tropicalized version imported by authorised local agent, will the situation be same or at least little bit more immune for our poor quality petrols?

10 hours ago, vitz said:

Edited by Dhaham

14 hours ago, Dhaham said:

In case of a tropicalized version imported by authorised local agent, will the situation be same or at least little bit more immune for our poor quality petrols?

Hi Dhaham,

Frankly, I don't have an answer for this. If you ask from the agent they will definitely say "Yes". To share some experiences in this regard, I have been using 92 for my Eclipse Cross direct import from Japan. However, I can remember UM sales guys were boasting that the Australian/Japanese direct imported ones would not survive with 92 and UM imported ones are calibrated for our poor quality petrol. Still, I believe these are business gimmicks :).  

22 hours ago, Dhaham said:

If the vehicle is spec'd for regular petrol in Japan (which is 92-95 octane) the car will work on 92-95 octane in Sri Lanka as well. Octane levels are universal...it is like 1m in Sri Lanka = 1m in Japan :D So when you say quality of the fuel, I am guessing you mean impurities that would be in the fuel due to poor storage and transportation of the fuel by the fuel processes and stations. Whether the local agent version is any better than the grey market version depends on the vehicle. Some vehicles will have different fuel systems. For example in the olden days JDM, AUS variants of a car came with direct injection whilst the local agent version only came with EFI or carburator versions of the vehicle (you do not want poor fuel getting sprayed directly in to cylinder chambers). In some cases what they do is add additional filtration systems for extra filtration of impurities (which might require fuel pumps with higher pressure, etc...). At the end of the day if you buy a vehicle from the local agent and the model given by local agent breaks due to something like the fuel messing up; it will be covered by warranty. 

8 hours ago, vitz said:

Hi Dhaham,

Frankly, I don't have an answer for this. If you ask from the agent they will definitely say "Yes". To share some experiences in this regard, I have been using 92 for my Eclipse Cross direct import from Japan. However, I can remember UM sales guys were boasting that the Australian/Japanese direct imported ones would not survive with 92 and UM imported ones are calibrated for our poor quality petrol. Still, I believe these are business gimmicks :).  

That company will tell anything to sell their vehicles.

I remember another company in Battaramulla selling German brand stating that their SUV were manufactured in Germany when the factory is in USA.

Do your background search get info from actual users that is the only way to avoid getting cheated.

Hi All

Thank you very much for your valuable comments. I'm new to this Auto Lanka forum. I noticed that some of you (such as iRage and Kush) are giving a very high contribution to this forum. That means you are allocating a considerable fraction of your valuable time to solve problems of others.  Your effort is highly appreciated. Thank you very much, once again.

• Like 2

On 9/17/2019 at 11:18 PM, Dhaham said:

I’m considering Honda CR-V & Peugeot 3008 for my permit. I need to get some points clarified. It would be much appreciated if you can help me.
1. In case of Peugeot, I Have two options. Either to buy from local agent (at a higher price for lesser options) or to import from UK. Will UK version be suitable for Sri Lankan conditions. (Especially for Petrol, Temperature range, humidity & road conditions).
2. In case of Honda CR-V, only option is Australian version. ( Local agent’s price & JDM price is not affordable for me). Will this be suitable for Sri Lankan environment?
3. Out of 3008 & CR-V, what will be more suitable to be used in Sri Lanka?
Thanks in advance.

I am neither an euro car expert, nor a user. But Peugeot is not a reliable brand as Japs or Euros like Mercs and Bmws. I have seen most of the interior parts are failing in Peugeots, typically older ones. Don’t know about the newer ones.

If you are far away from Colombo, sourcing parts for a Peugeot would be a bit difficult. So the best decision might be the CRV, even thought it might not be eye catching.

18 minutes ago, alpha17 said:

I am neither an euro car expert, nor a user. But Peugeot is not a reliable brand as Japs or Euros like Mercs and Bmws. I have seen most of the interior parts are failing in Peugeots, typically older ones. Don’t know about the newer ones.

If you are far away from Colombo, sourcing parts for a Peugeot would be a bit difficult. So the best decision might be the CRV, even thought it might not be eye catching.

Used a euro Ford Mondeo and Volvo S40,  The interior plastics hold up in local climate but the leather seats were getting degraded really fast. Specially in Volvo.   

Not sure how the new leathers / artificial leathers would do in long run, but I assume that would be the least of worries here.