• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sign in to follow this  
Traffic

VW Polo vs Suzuki Swift

Question

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a new car for my daily commute. I'm currently driving a '08 Vitz and am looking to upgrade. I was initially settled on the Swift RS but then the VW Polo caught my attention given its styling and build quality. I'd like to get some information on maintenance costs for the Polo and its generally reliability. I'm looking to drive my next car for another 5 years so resale isn't a priority but generally a reliable & comfortable car that will be cost effective to run. My usual commute involves school runs and work during peak traffic hours so fuel efficiency is also quite important. Please let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance. 

6 answers to this question

No, the golf is much bigger than a Swift. Golf is bigger than the swift's so called elder brother, Baleno even. The current generation polo is indeed a tad bit bigger than the swift on dimensions. Your comparison is right.

Polo 

+german build quality

+design

+features 

+very few on road, unique ride

- bad resale value

- availability of spares

Swift RS

+japanese reliability

+cheap to maintain

+availability of spares

+good resale values

- low quality plastics and interiors

- not as well handling as a polo

• Thanks 1

I thnk a better comparison would be VW-Golf and Suzuki swift. Polo is 1 class smaller

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ajm said:

I thnk a better comparison would be VW-Golf and Suzuki swift. Polo is 1 class smaller

Thank you. I was under the impression they were both superminis. Guess it's going to be harder to get advice when you're comparing apples and oranges. 

Polo is not made in Germany, RHD could be South Africa/ Malaysia/ India

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the input everyone. Appreciate it.

Based on my limited research I found that VW does produce the Polo in 7 plants across the world but the ones destined from UK are built in either Spain or South Africa.

The difference in build quality is like night and day but the price tag here on the Polo feels too steep for the class of car. I looked at the option to import it but the recent bounce back of the £ doesn't really lead to any significant savings.

Edited by Traffic