• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

which cars are the least expensive to maintain that falls under 1.6 to 2mn Lkr?

Alexx

Question

Hi Guys,

I'm looking forward to buying my first car. Need your expert opinion on this matter. I know there are plenty of old posts regarding the tagged vehicles but I need an up to date information as of those old post are somewhat now obsolete in their context in regarding the mileage and years of usage etc...Thanks in advance.

12 answers to this question

Not a sensible question. You are looking at cars that are nearly 2 decades old. Cost of maintenance of such cars depend on how well the previous owners have taken care of it.  An Alto can cost a lot more to maintain than a Corolla of the same age if the Alto has been used roughly whilst the Corolla has been taken care of like a baby.

Out of the cars you have tagged...the parts are pretty much the same price if you go with decent OEM brands. As for mechanic rates....if you go to a decent mechanic the rates are fixed no matter what the car is...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alexx said:

Hi Guys,

I'm looking forward to buying my first car. Need your expert opinion on this matter. I know there are plenty of old posts regarding the tagged vehicles but I need an up to date information as of those old post are somewhat now obsolete in their context in regarding the mileage and years of usage etc...Thanks in advance.

depends on what you get - this is a very vague question : unless you're thinking of  a very rare model where your only option will be to import from abroad at an exorbitant price most mainstream models will cost you roughly the same. of course if you do end up buying an absolute lemon then it will be a money-pit : it could happen even to the most attentive car buyer so just keep a buffer amount to use in case things really go south. 

49 minutes ago, matroska said:

depends on what you get - this is a very vague question : unless you're thinking of  a very rare model where your only option will be to import from abroad at an exorbitant price most mainstream models will cost you roughly the same. of course if you do end up buying an absolute lemon then it will be a money-pit : it could happen even to the most attentive car buyer so just keep a buffer amount to use in case things really go south. 

The cars he wants are tagged on top...the typical models

3 hours ago, Alexx said:

Hi Guys,

The way you’ve worded the question makes me feel that someone might make you end up with a lemon as long as it’s cheap, I suggest you talk to a person who knows the car scene in person before deciding, just because a car is cheap to run doesn’t mean it’s good, and will not save you financially, 

4 hours ago, tiv said:

The way you’ve worded the question makes me feel that someone might make you end up with a lemon as long as it’s cheap, I suggest you talk to a person who knows the car scene in person before deciding, just because a car is cheap to run doesn’t mean it’s good, and will not save you financially, 

Well, that's the thing...I don't want to end up buying cheap crap. Needed the expert opinion on how well the above-mentioned cars hold up after 15 - 20 years in general. 

Out of your list of cars, Viva elite seems to be the one with closest manufactured year, hence least usage hypothetically

With age comes various problems even with normal use, So a relatively newer vehicle might be a safe bet for a low maintenance cost solution. Go and see some Elites out there for sale. Hopefully you will be able to find a well kept vehicle.

• Like 1

And take a good mechanic with you to inspect the vehicle you are buying. I'm not familiar with the agents checkup process on Perodua vehicles but elite is quite common on the road. So a reputed mechanic will be familiar with the vehicle. A couple thousand spent on a inspection can save you a fortune in the future.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alexx said:

Ha ha......nice car if you're only thinking of fuel consumption....? not a big fan though

No fair. There were no tags when I replied. -_- 

Anyways, go for a Viva Elite. Newest car on the lot and the agent still imports spare parts for it AFAIK. Be sure to find one in good condition.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Alexx said:

These models are the ones within my budget, therefore I don't have much to choose from... ?

Viva Elite will be a good A-B Option not a bad car at all... starlets were great workhorses in the day but due to the conversion craze  they're ridiculously overpriced. Swift HT51s(Ignis/aka Jeep Model) is a thirsty but rather tough car that can handle all kinds of road conditions.  I'd say given your requirement the Viva Elite will be a safe choice  

• Like 1