• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Land Cruiser Prado LJ 78

Ravi x

Question

Hi Guys

I have got a Land cruiser prado LJ78 and have got the following concerns;

1. The engine light is on and when scanned its said to be an electrical issue and no major concern according to the technical guy, Is this serious concern to keep the jeep running?

2. Is it mandatory to have a turbo timer ?

3. What would be the exact steps to get the vehicle on 4WD? What are the uses of H4?

I am new to the jeep category and learning with experience, appreciate your feedback and suggestions. 

Thanks

9 answers to this question

38 minutes ago, Ravi x said:

Hi Guys

1. The engine light is on and when scanned its said to be an electrical issue and no major concern according to the technical guy, Is this serious concern to keep the jeep running?

3. What would be the exact steps to get the vehicle on 4WD? What are the uses of H4?

I am new to the jeep category and learning with experience, appreciate your feedback and suggestions. 

Thanks

1. For an LJ78, check engine light is like having a Bluetooth headset on a dinosaur, so don’t worry, is it a 1kz?

2. Turbo timer not mandatory, but not a bad practice either,  meaning some manufacturers recommend allowing 10 to 30 seconds for the manifold and the turbo to cool after HIGH REV motorway driving, which is again rare here unless it’s a non stock turbo, Toyota afaik has no issues with turbo timers. 

3. I’m not sure exactly how the 4wd patten for yours is, 

2H - for tarmac, least traction, can go to top speed, 2WD

4H- for traction mild/moderate  , mud rocks etc, not for pavement driving, unless wet road or loss of traction, if it’s not an awd based system ( LJ70S DIDNT  HAVE), driving in tar roads even when wet in 4H can damage transmission during turns, low speed only 

4L- engaging the 2nd gear set / transfer case for extreme traction, mud bogging, rock crawling, certain supervised towing, at very low speeds, exclusively off road or relevant scenarios

you may have a diff lock as we’ll center or rear which engages in 4L by a switch, for heavy mud or cross axle events. 

Try to source a Japanese owners manual relevant to the gearbox you have, or perhaps you can share more details of your car.

Basically do everything in 2H, when off-road use 4H, use 4L when things are really bad. 

4wd gears may get stuck showing lights on after disengaging levels, drive a few meters backwards to unwind the transmission.

55 minutes ago, tiv said:

1. For an LJ78, check engine light is like having a Bluetooth headset on a dinosaur, so don’t worry, is it a 1kz?

2. Turbo timer not mandatory, but not a bad practice either,  meaning some manufacturers recommend allowing 10 to 30 seconds for the manifold and the turbo to cool after HIGH REV motorway driving, which is again rare here unless it’s a non stock turbo, Toyota afaik has no issues with turbo timers. 

3. I’m not sure exactly how the 4wd patten for yours is, 

2H - for tarmac, least traction, can go to top speed, 2WD

4H- for traction mild/moderate  , mud rocks etc, not for pavement driving, unless wet road or loss of traction, if it’s not an awd based system ( LJ70S DIDNT  HAVE), driving in tar roads even when wet in 4H can damage transmission during turns, low speed only 

4L- engaging the 2nd gear set / transfer case for extreme traction, mud bogging, rock crawling, certain supervised towing, at very low speeds, exclusively off road or relevant scenarios

you may have a diff lock as we’ll center or rear which engages in 4L by a switch, for heavy mud or cross axle events. 

Try to source a Japanese owners manual relevant to the gearbox you have, or perhaps you can share more details of your car.

Basically do everything in 2H, when off-road use 4H, use 4L when things are really bad. 

4wd gears may get stuck showing lights on after disengaging levels, drive a few meters backwards to unwind the transmission.

Hi Mate, Its a 2446 CC 

And thanks so much for the explanation :)

19 minutes ago, Ravi x said:

Hi Mate, Its a 2446 CC 

And thanks so much for the explanation :)

So 2L turbo engine, nothing major to worry. 

4 hours ago, Ravi x said:

Thanks mate, Btw the jeep has the big mud tyres , will this help or you think I need to change it 

If you are doing lot of driving in highway, fast roads recommend a change, this is also improve the ride comfort, what you can do is keep two sets one for road, other for off road if you are in to that sort of thing.

If you don't do much driving it might not make sense to change them.

• Like 1

Jshifter_LJ78.jpg.a5cc1199e50d2941719267e6678b0468.jpg

If your's is a 2L-T,  this is the shift pattern for the 4WD control. Depending on the gearbox, you may have to completely stop the vehicle to engage 4WD or low range.

And remember to lock the front wheel hubs if you have to use the 4WD. A quick search on the internet will tell you how.

If it's a button 4WD(button on the transfer case shifter, which I haven't seen on 2L-T 78's), pressing the button engages 4WD and hubs are automatically locked(vaccum ADD). Select low or high range using transfer case shifter.

44 minutes ago, alds said:

Jshifter_LJ78.jpg.a5cc1199e50d2941719267e6678b0468.jpg

If your's is a 2L-T,  this is the shift pattern for the 4WD control. Depending on the gearbox, you may have to completely stop the vehicle to engage 4WD or low range.

And remember to lock the front wheel hubs if you have to use the 4WD. A quick search on the internet will tell you how.

If it's a button 4WD(button on the transfer case shifter, which I haven't seen on 2L-T 78's), pressing the button engages 4WD and hubs are automatically locked(vaccum ADD). Select low or high range using transfer case shifter.

Thanks Bro :)

On 9/2/2019 at 9:44 PM, Ravi x said:

Hi Guys

Thanks

Congratze on ze nu toy,..I'd get a turbo timer for safety,..ND GET YOUR T, BELT CHECKED !

Edited by Twin Turbo
  • Like 1