• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda CRV Thailand Vs JDM

xaxmax

Question

Hi All,

I do have a permit now and thought of buying a SUV. Maximum amount that i can go is 7.5 MIL. What are my options? Also is Stafford imported Thailand CR V an good option? How about the oil dilution issue reported on some CR Vs in US/CHINA regions? Does the same issue exist in Thailand version? Also the second hand value of the Thailand version. Will it be drastically go down compared to JDM?

- XAXMAX

Edited by xaxmax

10 answers to this question

The CR-V is now manufactured in Thailand. So even Japan gets the CRV from Thailand. 

EDIT : The Hybrid variant was to be manufactured in Japan at the Sayama factory and the Gasoline variant was to be imported from Thailand. This was what was announced at the 2017 Tokyo motorshow. Depending on the market condition Honda might have decided (or will decide) to produce all JDM CR-Vs in Japan, just like they did with the Grace).

The main difference between the Stafford imported one and the JDM imported one is that the JDM one will have a few Japan specific bells and whistles. Along with that, there might be some slight differences in the stiffness of the suspension, how the engine is tuned as well (maybe..not entirely sure).  I believe with the current lineup materials used for the export model version and the JDM versions are pretty much the same. 

If you go with Stafford's model..you do have the benefit of getting the manufacturer's warranty directly. THe JDM variant...well you are at the mercy of a d****a** car importer.

Edited by iRage

Why don't you go around there are JDMs and Australian imported in car sales, go to  Stafford too you will notice they are all same apart from few features here and there.

JDM you will not be able to change the language in the system, you will have to manage with google translate, if your set comes minus SD card you will loose most of the functions in the Navi system (majority of which are anyway useless in SL)

If you opt for a slightly used JDM (2018) it will be within your budget, if not you will have to look for extra Rs. 500k or so.

On 9/2/2019 at 3:54 PM, kush said:

Why don't you go around there are JDMs and Australian imported in car sales, go to  Stafford too you will notice they are all same apart from few features here and there.

JDM you will not be able to change the language in the system, you will have to manage with google translate, if your set comes minus SD card you will loose most of the functions in the Navi system (majority of which are anyway useless in SL)

If you opt for a slightly used JDM (2018) it will be within your budget, if not you will have to look for extra Rs. 500k or so.

Hi iRage and Kush,

Thank you for your valuable comments. when I check with Stafford they say it's almost 7.8M for Thailand version. What you guys think of Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross? I know it is new to the market so we have very less information and reviews. Unit#d Mot#rs get us the JDM version and in open market we have the Australian version which is loaded with more options compared to JDM. is this a good vehicle compared to other mini SUV's?

You need to understand what the JDM version is and what is meant by THailand version....JDM = Japanese Domestic Market. The local agents of any manufacturer will not be getting down the JDM version to SL as a brand new vehicle (it happens very very very rarely). When an agent says they bring down the JDM variant, what they mean to say is that you will be getting an export model specification which would have been assembled in Japan. With global models, such as the Old Corollas (E80,E90,E100etc..) and new models like the CR-V, RAV4, New Corolla, the difference between JDM variants and the export variants are quite minimal in build quality and what differs are the market specific features and power/drive train specifics.

When Stafford says it will get the Thailand version, what they mean is they will get the EXPORT model of the CR-V which is assembled in Thailand. On the other hand you can buy a vehicle at a Japanese dealership where you would be buying a JDM variant of the CR-V which is also assembled in Thailand. 

You have two different cars here. The Eclipse Cross is in a smaller segment than the CR-V. Its direct competitor from Honda would be the Vezel. The CR-V's direct Mitsu competitor would be the Outlander. So your first decision is to see if you want a sub-compact cross-over or a compact crossover. Typically how it works is for the price of an average spec'd compact cross over you will be able to find a sub-compact with extra features (but then sometimes the extra features you get in the sub compact come as standard in a larger vehicle).

Now...the Export model CR-V intended for the SL market might not have all the bells and whistles the JDM or ADM variants of the CR-V might have. So when you want to decide whether you want to go with the agent's SL export model or a JDM/ADM variant; check whether the bells and whilste you get is actually worth for you. Remember, with the agent you get the manufacturer's direct warranty, you will be able to maintain a proper service history and if it goes all bust, you have the manufacturer's cover.

Same with the Eclipse Cross...

1 hour ago, iRage said:

member, with the agent you get the manufacturer's direct warranty, you will be able to maintain a proper service history and if it goes all bust, you have the manufacturer's cover

What are the chances of agents warranty is applicable in a trouble of new vehicle? When I asked about Civic 1.0T, stafford {their subsidiary} told me it is engine, gearbox and suspention only for 2 year, 40k km.

Do you know any place to look at statistics of different manufacturers, vehicles, markets etc?

3 hours ago, abiman said:

What are the chances of agents warranty is applicable in a trouble of new vehicle? When I asked about Civic 1.0T, stafford {their subsidiary} told me it is engine, gearbox and suspention only for 2 year, 40k km.

Do you know any place to look at statistics of different manufacturers, vehicles, markets etc?

Don't forget the recall support which extends up to 10+ years. Even cars sold in 2005-2007 were issued with replacement airbag inflator modules due to the Takata airbag recall by some agents in Sri Lanka 

If you want to find a good Honda Cr-v it would be much better to import directly from Japan or to buy already imported one. I had almost all gens of Honda CR-v. And I'd say that the most reliable is gen is the CR-V 2. I didn't hear about any defects on this car, everything was just perfect. I'm looking now on different websites for the 4th gen of CR-V. I found some good cars on https://www.jdmbuysell.com/dealers/ and I'm going to go and see them both on the next week. Hope that they'll be same like on photos.

Edited by peterpen

27 minutes ago, peterpen said:

If you want to find a good Honda Cr-v it would be much better to import directly from Japan or to buy already imported one.

well given that imports are stopped until further notice and due to that unregistered cars are prized at eye watering and laughable prices - that does not seem to be a practical suggestion. Also this thread is an year (almost) old so OP probably got a CRV. 

8 hours ago, peterpen said:

If you want to find a good Honda Cr-v it would be much better to import directly from Japan or to buy already imported one.

in addition to what @matroska mentioned....there are other factors to consider before telling someone to not buy from the agents.

In Sri Lanka the only time you can be 100% assured that you are getting an honest care is when you buy from the agents (well ..maybe 95% because there were instances of a certain agent who is an agent for a certain Japanese brand and a few Indian brands selling off cars that had been damaged in shipment).

Going with the agent is the only way you are assured that you will always get a proper manufacturer's warranty.

Yes..direct buying from Japan reduces some risk..but there are plenty of Sri Lankan swindlers here who still mess around with the cars (lets face it..it is going to be a Sri Lankan operated car exporter over here who is going tobe willing to deal with you in Sri Lanka. Almost all Japanese/Aussie/British/(and now even Bangaladeshi and African) owned/operated car exporters do not want to deal with Sri Lanka because of the dirty games Sri Lankans play and the whole payment complications).