• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Alloy Wheels (JDM vs. Other After Market Brands)

amsandun

• 2 weeks later...

@amsandun yes you should

Where are you based?

U&H on Malay Street has a Hunter Road-force balancer but their staff can be careless/reckless when jacking the car up so you've got to personally ensure that they only use the jacking points and then put it on stands.

Pitstop used to be good but they switched from CORGHI to some rubbish (Indian??) machine some years back - if they've got a proper machine back the old crew were quite good.

Most recent place i tried was Sanka Wheel in Pepiliyana - decent

3 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

@amsandun yes you should

Where are you based? 

U&H on Malay Street has a Hunter Road-force balancer but their staff can be careless/reckless when jacking the car up so you've got to personally ensure that they only use the jacking points and then put it on stands.

Pitstop used to be good but they switched from CORGHI to some rubbish (Indian??) machine some years back - if they've got a proper machine back the old crew were quite good.

Most recent place i tried was Sanka Wheel in Pepiliyana - decent

I am based in Kandy but employment is based in Fort area. U&H is like 10 min drive for me. I have never heard of Pitstop though.

Apart from the staff at UH, how is their quality of work?

Yes...you should check the telemetry of your wheels after a tire/wheel swap and even after suspension repairs like changing shocks or springs/leaves, etc....

I was going to say PitStop but apparently they've changed.

Edited by iRage

2 hours ago, amsandun said:

I am based in Kandy but employment is based in Fort area. U&H is like 10 min drive for me. I have never heard of Pitstop though.

The guys who actually did the work at U&H (the balancing & the alignment technician) were both fine - it's just the blokes who remove the wheels are notoriously reckless

Pitstop is A*W owned (Al Futtaim group) - located off Baseline Road near Borella Kanatta

2 hours ago, amsandun said:

2 hours ago, iRage said:

Yes...you should check the telemetry of your wheels after a tire/wheel swap (and even a suspension change).

thanks iRage. Is suspension change really necessary? I would love to upgrade the ride but I'm afraid it has to wait with all other family matters around. :D

25 minutes ago, Devinda_Z said:

The guys who actually did the work at U&H (the balancing & the alignment technician) were both fine - it's just the blokes who remove the wheels are notoriously reckless

Hmm. since they got a good machine and very close to where I am, I am thinking about going to them this time. Let's hope for the best and I will stay cautious about the matters you mentioned. I called and inquired. They sounded professional and said it can be completed within an hour.   

1 hour ago, amsandun said:

thanks iRage. Is suspension change really necessary? I would love to upgrade the ride but I'm afraid it has to wait with all other family matters around. :D

No no no ! What I mean is you should check the telemetry of the wheels even if you do any changes in the suspension (like change shocks etc...

• 9 months later...
On 9/10/2019 at 11:06 PM, amsandun said:

[UPDATE] I bought a set of Alloys guys...?

So I visited JJ in Mount this evening. There were many designs and brands to choose from. Most of them were Chinese made but used in Japan. Looked genuine, classy but not too fancy and all had JWL certified mark. Then I saw this one with Honda logo in the center and had a closer look. Just like @tiv and @Devinda_Z mentioned above, "Enkei" was engraved in the back and also "Honda Motor". Shop guy said it was from a Civic and an Original wheel. I dry tested the look and took my decision. All 4 wheels were in good condition, no scratches, cracks. I will upload photos.

Only thing is this is 5.5JJ and 45mm offset whereas my originals were 5J 39mm. Actually all wheels were 45mm in offset. I didn't see anything lower. (of course I didn't check each one, only what caught my eye) But shop staff person said for my model 35-45mm is fine and there won't be any issues. I also checked after fitting. Wheels does not touch suspension, fenders or brake calipers, all clear even when fully turned left and right. Hope it won't be a problem in the future too.

There you go! :D They also had Toyota center caps.

@iRage@tiv@Devinda_Z@JayZ

Thanks to all of you guys, I knew what to look for and how to look for specific details. Thank you guys. ?

IMG_20190910_170335.thumb.jpg.588a0c0238d32c5542b0cbefa97657b7.jpgIMG_20190910_170125.thumb.jpg.57f1a71cafccc5a7c06b6ae503b7a262.jpgIMG_20190910_170111.thumb.jpg.b2d5bd11d8dc06588704093083b00c9b.jpg

I saw a car just like yours at kandy suvasevana hospital a few days ago, was it you? 

Looking good!

Also a variant of Vitzs came from factory with a similar wheel design including my wifes one 

They are enkei 14 inch, 

I'm not a fan of these , will be swapping them for 17s soon

Screenshot_20200220-073014_Chrome.jpg

inCollage_20191101_220737393.jpg

Edited by tiv

3 hours ago, tiv said:

I saw a car just like yours at kandy suvasevana hospital a few days ago, was it you? 

Looking good!

Also a variant of Vitzs came from factory with a similar wheel design including my wifes one 

They are enkei 14 inch, 

I'm not a fan of these , will be swapping them for 17s soon

Screenshot_20200220-073014_Chrome.jpg

inCollage_20191101_220737393.jpg

If you mean 18th Saturday, yes it must be mine. :D Had to park in front of Suwa Sewana Eye Channel center the whole day as Mother-in-law was admitted to a surgery. And thanks for the complements brother. ?

They look nice, just like mine. are you going to put 17-inch wheels? plus 3. Won't it affect brake/suspension?

31 minutes ago, amsandun said:

If you mean 18th Saturday, yes it must be mine. :D Had to park in front of Suwa Sewana Eye Channel center the whole day as Mother-in-law was admitted to a surgery. And thanks for the complements brother. ?

They look nice, just like mine. are you going to put 17-inch wheels? plus 3. Won't it affect brake/suspension?

Just gonna have fun with it and see, lifes too short to run on factory wheels !

1 hour ago, tiv said:

Just gonna have fun with it and see, lifes too short to run on factory wheels !

Life's too short for us on many things isn't it? well don't forget to upload some pics when you do the change. would be Interesting to see a vitz in 17s.

7 hours ago, iRage said:

Well....why not ? Yaris GRMN comes with 17"BBSes

2018-Toyota-Yaris-GRMN-BBS-wheels-review.jpg

The set I bought, the offset is a bit too wide, trying to get this flush look, also the grmn has stiff suspension

So the 205 45 r 17s are likely to rub I fear. So ordered a 195 45 r17

Waiting for them to arrive 

Edited by tiv