• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

ACBT

AVANTE

I'm going to start my foundation for commerce on november at ACBT Kandy. It's a 1 year course and after that I can complete my degree elsewhere (mostly recommended is ECU in australia & other Navitas sponsored universities in Canada)..now I know in the UK & US it's already difficult for graduates to settle as they can't all find a job in the given deadline & later getting deported. The people at ACBT explain everything to me making it sound too easy but heck no can I complete paying my fees & bear the living costs by doing '20 hours of part-time a week'. Also how is the employment rate for ECU students? Anyone here having experience related to navitas-sponsored unis? How do guys who settle in Australia/Canada manage it? Rich parents? Sheer luck? Or something else??

Interesting question

Locally employment isn't an issue - ACBT has been around for years with alumni working for a multitude of local companies as well as MNC's.

The awarding body Edith Cowan University, Western Australia is a UGC approved, Commonwealth recognised university.

With regard to the possibility of migrating it is more to do with those countries and their immigration policy in relation to the types of skill shortages they have and the kind of people they want to fill those gaps. Check the respective countries immigration policy and get a better understanding of what options are available to international students to stay on and gain PR/Residency locally.

The line of study and the industry you hope to work in will have a large bearing on whether or not they let you stay on.

1 hour ago, □AVANTE□ said:

I'm going to start my foundation for commerce on november at ACBT Kandy. It's a 1 year course and after that I can complete my degree elsewhere (mostly recommended is ECU in australia & other Navitas sponsored universities in Canada)..now I know in the UK & US it's already difficult for graduates to settle as they can't all find a job in the given deadline & later getting deported. The people at ACBT explain everything to me making it sound too easy but heck no can I complete paying my fees & bear the living costs by doing '20 hours of part-time a week'. Also how is the employment rate for ECU students? Anyone here having experience related to navitas-sponsored unis? How do guys who settle in Australia/Canada manage it? Rich parents? Sheer luck? Or something else??

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, □AVANTE□ said:

The people at ACBT explain everything to me making it sound too easy but heck no can I complete paying my fees & bear the living costs by doing '20 hours of part-time a week'. Also how is the employment rate for ECU students? Anyone here having experience related to navitas-sponsored unis? How do guys who settle in Australia/Canada manage it? Rich parents? Sheer luck? Or something else??

Countries like Germany,France,Japan have cheaper school fees and better employment opportunities after graduation. But the catch is you have to learn a new language within 12-18 months upto level 5 (or C1) for university entrance. Not entirely pointless though....

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

The line of study and the industry you hope to work in will have a large bearing on whether or not they let you stay on.

Thanks @Devinda_Z! Would the field I intend on going (Business management) have any 'high' demand? Which field are you an expert on sir? I hope to inquire into the true situation of those countries as not everything on the internet is true :)

10 hours ago, ajm said:

Countries like Germany,France,Japan have cheaper school fees and better employment opportunities after graduation. But the catch is you have to learn a new language within 12-18 months upto level 5 (or C1) for university entrance. Not entirely pointless though....

I know a bit of french & I can give France a try just incase australia doesn't work out at the end of the year. Thanks for your advice @ajm

19 hours ago, □AVANTE□ said:

Marketing persons in any educational institute will paint a rosy picture, but you need to do your own research before making conclusions.

Edith Cowan University is located in a suburb of Perth. Perth is on the westernmost part of Australia. Pretty much all the populated areas or Australia are on the east and south-eastern coast. Remember that Australia is TWICE the size of India and the size of the population is almost equal to Sri Lanka. The nearest metropolitan to Perth is Adelaide, which is 3 hours away from plane. Almost the same distance from Colombo to Delhi. So if you wish to travel to a populated city outside of Perth, you will need to take a 3-hour flight.

Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide and Brisbane are much closer to each other, although they are still a flight away. Because of the fact that Perth is literally in the middle of nowhere, I wouldn't wish to be in that city.

The other issue is Edith Cowan being in its own little suburb, you may actually need to travel far to work, daily. Demand for jobs in Jundaloop (where Edith Cowan is), may be very high. Perth's transport system is okay. You can travel by bus to work. Some student opt to buy cars. However, chances of finding jobs may be higher in Melbourne, Sydney or even Brisbane.

I would suggest looking for a uni in one of those cities rather than Perth. You may need to do IELTS though, but don't worry. Getting 7 on IELTS is not difficult at all. Don't fall in to scare tactics. You can also do PTE, if your university accepts it. Australia immigration accepts PTE. If you are good with computers, PTE is a better option to go with.

Like other members pointed out, I too, would strongly suggest looking in Europe, particularly Germany, where education is free for all (including foreigners) and you can get jobs as well as residence permits much easier than Australia. Germany is now much more immigrant-friendly than the past, as long as you can assimilate with the country.

Also pls make sure this foundation course is accepted by other universities, apart from the provider.

Wherever you go, always remember not to flout immigration regulations. 

• Thanks 1

@Crosswind thanks alot sir for taking you're time to educate me about the situation at perth!

So far the standards of teaching is great & I'm truly impressed (I did IT @ Esoft and this is a mile ahead in standards) Since it's Navitas sponsored, there are around 120 universities in 32 countries around the globe to which I can get access to (my birth place Kuwait being one too, but I was told to avoid it because it's an institution & the certificate won't be as valuable compared to a university). I'll take the european countries into consideration, thanks alot!! :)

Interesting side note.....I had a friend who was assigned to the Ministry of Education through GIZ. The German government was offering quite a few scholarships for German Universities....education there is free and the program was offering housing, monthly stipend, transportation, etc...on top of that. Only hitch was...the applicants had to learn German.  My friend was shocked that less than half of the scholarships were able to be filled as most of the applicants were not willing to learn German !!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Interesting side note.....I had a friend who was assigned to the Ministry of Education through GIZ. The German government was offering quite a few scholarships for German Universities....education there is free and the program was offering housing, monthly stipend, transportation, etc...on top of that. Only hitch was...the applicants had to learn German.  My friend was shocked that less than half of the scholarships were able to be filled as most of the applicants were not willing to learn German !!!

School fees at universities in most of Germany are around 1000-3000€/year for non-residents also(Except in Baden Württemberg state, where they are experimenting with a higher fee for non-residents since 2015, because the Chinese student ratio was higher than the residents ratio for some popular courses of study. But seems it has not been picked up by other States and will be scrapped also in BW state)  

But for learning German, a significant fee will be needed. I think only upto level 3(B1) is possible in Sri Lanka, and the required level is 5(C1) for most universities. So you have to consider cost of a 6-12month language study+living in Germany. Recently there are undergrad courses like business management,Economics taught in English at some smaller universities, with 2-4 times higher school fees (than German medium) for 3years.

on the other hand, I think recently other countries like France are introducing higher fees for non-EU residents too. But nothing closer to the exorbitant foreign category fees in UK,Australia,US..

Edited by ajm

6 hours ago, ajm said:

School fees at universities in most of Germany are around 1000-3000€/year for non-residents also(Except in Baden Württemberg state, where they are experimenting with a higher fee for non-residents since 2015, because the Chinese student ratio was higher than the residents ratio for some popular courses of study. But seems it has not been picked up by other States and will be scrapped also in BW state)  

But for learning German, a significant fee will be needed. I think only upto level 3(B1) is possible in Sri Lanka, and the required level is 5(C1) for most universities. So you have to consider cost of a 6-12month language study+living in Germany. Recently there are undergrad courses like business management,Economics taught in English at some smaller universities, with 2-4 times higher school fees (than German medium) for 3years.

on the other hand, I think recently other countries like France are introducing higher fees for non-EU residents too. But nothing closer to the exorbitant foreign category fees in UK,Australia,US..

This was part of the scholarship ! So the applicants did not have to actually pay for it ! Part of it was done at the GOethe Institute and then followed up at the University or something once they get there....so cost was not an option....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, iRage said:

This was part of the scholarship ! So the applicants did not have to actually pay for it ! Part of it was done at the GOethe Institute and then followed up at the University or something once they get there....so cost was not an option....

I only knew that Japanese Education Ministry was providing full paid scholarships with 1year Language study for undergrad/technical college(with progress to Undergrad 3rd year) for many decades, but first time to hear about a German program. Do you know if its still offered and details about application process?

5 hours ago, ajm said:

I only knew that Japanese Education Ministry was providing full paid scholarships with 1year Language study for undergrad/technical college(with progress to Undergrad 3rd year) for many decades, but first time to hear about a German program. Do you know if its still offered and details about application process?

I don't know....my friend is gone but I will ask her if she knows what the current status is.

Yes...Japan does offer the scholarships and it is quite sort after and is making it quite competitive. Its ironic that everyone is clambering to go to Japan but not Germany.