• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

vitz or Wagon R turbo

L.K

Question

What is the best one to buy between vitz 2016 jewele/ F led or WagonR stingray turbo, fuel consumption, re selling market, spare parts , maintain coast, comfortability, ground clearance and the handling are the main points that i pay alot attention.

21 answers to this question

8 hours ago, charithtg said:

Just wondering why the Stingray Turbo is reselling cheaper than a regular Stingray is reselling these days. found few of them abt 3 mil +/- 50K and same milaged Stingray is at the same price range or more.. Any ideas ppl??

I'm guessing because you don't get the same fuel consumption as opposed to the standard stingray. Given the turbo & it's extra torque you end up using it most of the time lowering your fc. That's mostly because ppl who bought this didn't buy it for it's intended purpose but rather hoped they get the same fc from a more performance oriented model. Sadly it's not a rebadged vezel RS with the same internals like any other grade. Plus the added fear of maintaining a turbo & engine wear pushing ppl away from this. A good chance for anyone looking for a kei performance model not a cheap as xxxt fuel miser.

3 hours ago, L.K said:

What is the best one to buy between vitz 2016 jewele/ F led or WagonR stingray turbo, fuel consumption, re selling market, spare parts , maintain coast, comfortability, ground clearance and the handling are the main points that i pay alot attention.

Only Vitz will tick most of your requirements par from fuel consumption

Vitz will be basic in features where as the Stingray will have all the bells and whistles

Edited by kush

3 hours ago, L.K said:

Get a vitz, more road presence, better resale, more space and more comfortable, the wagon r market is going to come crashing soon once the hybrid batteries get cooked, they have a loan of repairs as well sequentially 

Edited by tiv
  • Like 1

Performance wise Stingray is much better. Easy to maneuver with lots of torque in the lower rev range to easily overtake when needed. Its got almost similar power output from its 0.66 L engine compared to the 1.0L unit in the Vitz (64PS vs 69PS),  while torque is much better & available at a lower rev range (92Nm @ 4300rpm  vs 98Nm @ 3000). Given its 100+kg lighter than the Vitz it'll feel much more nimbler to drive. Also this better power-to-weight ratio is also causing it to have better fuel consumption.

Maintenance wise I'd say both are similar given the CVT drive-train. Standard maintenance is enough for both. If you buy this car brand-new/recon & don't intend to keep for 10+ years I'd say the hybrid battery is a non-issue. Plus even if it comes to that given its a mild-hybrid having a smaller battery compared to a fully blown hybrid can get a recon one for around 100k. There's plenty of expertise locally given the sheer volume hence no reason to be fearful as sometime back.

Interior space wise stingray is actually more spacious than a vitz (interior length 2450mm vs 1915mm) but what you sacrifice is rear boot-space. Comfort wise not a massive difference but the vitz will have an edge given that stingray has a bit more smaller, stiffer setup with low weight. Unless you travel in really bad roads it won't be noticeable. Looks wise the Stingray falls in the Kei category whereas the Yaris is a traditional hatchback. Compared to a standard stingray the Turbo model has more road presence given its 15 inch wheels with diamond cut alloys. There will be lot of peer pressure calling out the Vitz a step up model given it looking larger outside but this can be quite misleading.

In terms of bells & whistles the stingray T would have more features given its the top-end model. Features such as x8 air bags standard, cruise control, lane departure warning, radar collision warning/brake, auto stop/start, heads-up display, LED headlights/fog lamps/DRL etc, 4-way camera & top spec Harmon nav unit speakers with Android Auto/Apple Carplay. Landing all these options on the vitz is a bit tricky as these are mostly individual options you pick. Eg the standard Jewela doesn't have the stop/start system its a add on package. So is the bi-beam LED pack. Unless the car you pick had included these options you'd miss one or two here & there. Cost also naturally goes up considerably when these options are included.

End of the day you really can't go wrong with any of these cars just that you need to decide which is more important. If lower TCO (Total cost of ownership), driving pleasure, fuel economy & tech gadgetry is what you prioritize go for the stingray. If you're looking for a comfortable hatchback with the known reliability & resale value of a Toyota badge go for the Vitz but you'll be paying north of 1Mn+ compared to the stingray.

16 hours ago, NeroX said:

Performance wise Stingray is much better. Easy to maneuver with lots of torque in the lower rev range to easily overtake when needed. Its got almost similar power output from its 0.66 L engine compared to the 1.0L unit in the Vitz (64PS vs 69PS),  while torque is much better & available at a lower rev range (92Nm @ 4300rpm  vs 98Nm @ 3000). Given its 100+kg lighter than the Vitz it'll feel much more nimbler to drive. Also this better power-to-weight ratio is also causing it to have better fuel consumption.

Maintenance wise I'd say both are similar given the CVT drive-train. Standard maintenance is enough for both. If you buy this car brand-new/recon & don't intend to keep for 10+ years I'd say the hybrid battery is a non-issue. Plus even if it comes to that given its a mild-hybrid having a smaller battery compared to a fully blown hybrid can get a recon one for around 100k. There's plenty of expertise locally given the sheer volume hence no reason to be fearful as sometime back.

End of the day you really can't go wrong with any of these cars just that you need to decide which is more important. If lower TCO (Total cost of ownership), driving pleasure, fuel economy & tech gadgetry is what you prioritize go for the stingray. If you're looking for a comfortable hatchback with the known reliability & resale value of a Toyota badge go for the Vitz but you'll be paying north of 1Mn+ compared to the stingray.

Agree with most of this...however the engine dynamics are slightly different. Being a Turbo charged kei car you will be straining the engine a lot more than the NA Vits...especially on long highway drives and outstation hilly drives. So the engine does get worn out a lot more...This is why I always say I will never buy a used kei car even in Japan because I see how these things get used :) Only exception would be a low mileage car from a city but those are as expensive as a brand new one  over here. Ff 99% of your driving is done within the city then something like the Stingray will be good as that is what the car is built for. If not..then you are better off with a larger capacity all rounder.

In Japan kei cars are for city use and Japanese buy cars to fit the purpose unlike we Lankans. 

I too feel the best option of the two cars for the OP would be the Vitz...unless you are willing to look at other brands....unfortunately you do not get the larger capacity Vitz in SL which is a lot lot better (feels almost like a different car).

• Like 1

I have a Wagon R which is used for the school run. It is a different vehicle to Vitz and does feel like a tin box compared to Vitz.V

If this is going to be your only vehicle you will be better off with the Vitz as it rides better, handles better, has the bigger car feel. What will be lacking will be features like climate control, autonomous safety features, stop start etc..

Wagon R does not feel that is made to last..

Just wondering why the Stingray Turbo is reselling cheaper than a regular Stingray is reselling these days. found few of them abt 3 mil +/- 50K and same milaged Stingray is at the same price range or more.. Any ideas ppl??

On 8/17/2019 at 5:47 PM, tiv said:

Get a vitz, more road presence, better resale, more space and more comfortable, the wagon r market is going to come crashing soon once the hybrid batteries get cooked, they have a loan of repairs as well sequentially 

'Road presence' ?

I think Sri lanka is the only country in the world where the Vitz has road presence:jumping-smiley-001:

Edited by □AVANTE□

14 hours ago, NeroX said:

I'm guessing because you don't get the same fuel consumption as opposed to the standard stingray. Given the turbo & it's extra torque you end up using it most of the time lowering your fc. That's mostly because ppl who bought this didn't buy it for it's intended purpose but rather hoped they get the same fc from a more performance oriented model. Sadly it's not a rebadged vezel RS with the same internals like any other grade. Plus the added fear of maintaining a turbo & engine wear pushing ppl away from this. A good chance for anyone looking for a kei performance model not a cheap as xxxt fuel miser.

So do u think that using a stingray T will be same as using any other turbo petrol car (like the 1000ccs coming out these days)? Or will the engine have more issues in the long run. 

34 minutes ago, charithtg said:

So do u think that using a stingray T will be same as using any other turbo petrol car (like the 1000ccs coming out these days)? Or will the engine have more issues in the long run. 

Small engine, high power, more stress, less life this has been the good old formula for ages.

On 9/8/2019 at 2:38 PM, GayanR said:

Vitz is fine.But the engine noise is hard to get used to.

That is because in Sri Lanka you only get the cheapo version with the 1L engine. It is sad that in SL Vitz is judged by this variant which comes with an engine that is older than the model itself.

On 9/8/2019 at 12:46 PM, □AVANTE□ said:

'Road presence' ?

I think Sri lanka is the only country in the world where the Vitz has road presence:jumping-smiley-001:

I thikn he meant...in a Vitz you feel more car than in a Wagon R....

as for presence...Toyotas and 99% of Japanese cars are not made for road presence...it goes against the Japanese way of doing things. The Vitz can stand out if you get the right one...but even then...you will not know what you are looking at unless you know what you are looking at (which is what goes with Japanese way of doing things...even the Skyline....normal people will not know what it is and think it is a normal little coupe' :D ...I guess the exception would be the new Supra, only because it is horrendous)

Image result for vitz gr sport gr

Image result for Toyota VItz GRMN

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iRage said:

That is because in Sri Lanka you only get the cheapo version with the 1L engine. It is sad that in SL Vitz is judged by this variant which comes with an engine that is older than the model itself.

I thikn he meant...in a Vitz you feel more car than in a Wagon R....

as for presence...Toyotas and 99% of Japanese cars are not made for road presence...it goes against the Japanese way of doing things. The Vitz can stand out if you get the right one...but even then...you will not know what you are looking at unless you know what you are looking at (which is what goes with Japanese way of doing things...even the Skyline....normal people will not know what it is and think it is a normal little coupe' :D ...I guess the exception would be the new Supra, only because it is horrendous)

Image result for vitz gr sport gr

Image result for Toyota VItz GRMN

This & the new limited GRMN version yaris is just DAMN awesome.. but yeah,honestly it is sad to be a Sri lankan car guy. I was going through the ads & found a Honda Fit RS with a manual,and the ad states 'only 3 or 4 cars in the country'.... and he is asking around 2 or 3 lakhs higher that the market price..i mean, thats the lowest form of *insert adjective* you can descend to as a country :( a manual econobox with an RS badge?? Rare??come on now..  :,(

19 minutes ago, □AVANTE□ said:

This & the new limited GRMN version yaris is just DAMN awesome.. but yeah,honestly it is sad to be a Sri lankan car guy. I was going through the ads & found a Honda Fit RS with a manual,and the ad states 'only 3 or 4 cars in the country'.... and he is asking around 2 or 3 lakhs higher that the market price..i mean, thats the lowest form of *insert adjective* you can descend to as a country :( a manual econobox with an RS badge?? Rare??come on now..  :,(

Is it a real RS, I mean is it a GE8?

1 minute ago, □AVANTE□ said:

Yes a GE8..with the L15A engine. This is honda's equivalent of the swift sport but still, in reality shouldn't we be having a decent amount of these here?

I don't think there are many of those, it's a select few who get down manuals in the first place, take the new Civic for example. No one's importing the 6spd manual version, there might be 5 of them at the best in the whole country

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, □AVANTE□ said:

Well....if it is a real GE with a 6MT and was actually manufactured after 2009 then it is the actual sporty version that is equal to a Swift Sport or a Vitz GR Sport (Formerly Vitz G's or Vitz RS). When the RS was first introduced in the GE series in 2007, it was just a trim level and had the samethign as every other Fit except for some sporty body parts and interior trim. It was only 2009 and onwards that it actually became actually sporty. In SL most of the RS I have seen are Hybrid versions which....and at that not manual...

So it is a bit rare....but if you think that is ridiculous...I saw an advert for a normal Vitz but with a 1.3L engine and it was classified as rare....

Edited by iRage
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, iRage said:

Well....if it is a real GE with a 6MT and was actually manufactured after 2009 then it is the actual sporty version that is equal to a Swift Sport or a Vitz GR Sport (Formerly Vitz G's or Vitz RS). When the RS was first introduced in the GE series in 2007, it was just a trim level and had the samethign as every other Vitz except for some sporty body parts and interior trim. It was only 2009 and onwards that it actually became actually sporty. In SL most of the RS I have seen are Hybrid versions which....and at that not manual...

So it is a bit rare....but if you think that is ridiculous...I saw an advert for a normal Vitz but with a 1.3L engine and it was classified as rare....

:(