• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Axio 141 - Shocks or springs?

kflyer

Hi guys,

I've been feeling an odd ride in my 2007 Axio 141 for some time now and the replacement of various parts and multiple inspections have not really helped.

The feeling I get is of that, that the car is not stable at high speeds (60+). It gives a feeling that the car is not 'planted' to the road and you do not have confidence in making sharp turns.

Car has done 160k, genuine mileage. It's on its second set of shocks - having replaced the originals with KYBs at 90k mileage.

However, many inspections revealed no issues. Tires are Michelin Energy Saver (UK) with plenty of tread left and all suspension components are within their life limits. I've most recently replaced my lower arm bushings, which did not resolve the issue. Tried several different alignment places to no avail. And multiple checks by technicians have confirmed no play in the rack and pinion steering.

This has driven my focus to whether this could be a shocks related issue - which gives the feeling or sensation that the car is 'floating' whilst it actually is tracking fine. I've come to realise that the driver's side of the car (particularly when no passengers other than the driver is on board) tends to feel lower particularly when overtaking another vehicle (ie - on the side of the road which is sloping down). 

A crude check of ground height -when not under load - revealed that the front right wheel base height is approximately one inch lower than the other three.

I've tried to get the issue checked at multiple places - but they all suggest that I remove the shocks for inspection whilst prepared for replacement. While I'm ok to do so - I feel it's better to have another opinion as I've found that most places will try to 'sell' you new shocks.

Does this sound like a worn shocks issue? Or could it actually be the springs?

I do not want to replace the shocks if it is something else - like the springs - as the new shocks will 'mask' the real issue for some time before it crops up again.

Your opinion is highly appreciated.

Certainly does seem like a shock or even coil spring issue. If you replaced the shocks at 90K...then you have put 70K kms on them which is usually to be expected....

When you say the car feels like floating..I suppose you mean that when the car goes over a hilly hump or hump it just rocks back and forth like a boat..going in to corners and the car feeling like it is going to under-steer excessively because the body is floating away are all typical symptoms of worn out shocks. Most people would suggest the press and bounce the corner approach but that does not work....so save your energy.

With 70K kms on it..you will have to change the shocks anyway...so why not change it and see if it gets fixed ? Changing the shocks would be the simplest thing to do in my opinion because it is something you will anyway have to do. Then move forward from that point onwards. Whilst you replace your shocks, check the coils, and control arm bushes and linkages as well and replace them (typically they would start getting replaced around the 100K mark onwards.

• Like 1

Yeah sounds like the front right shock has reached the end of it's lifetime. 

There used to be suspension testing places around Hyde Park, but I'm not sure if they are still operational. You could get a suspension test done before taking them out for replacement. 

If and when you decide to go for new shocks, and when you have the old shocks out of the car. Measure the front ones from top to bottom to see if there is a difference in length. If there is, when the coil spring is separated, measure just the coil springs from end to end to make sure they are equal length. If not, you might have to replace the coil springs as well although highly unlikely.

You can just replace the fronts for starters.

If there is a height difference L and R it could be more than shocks, and definitely explain the handling issue. With the mileage  your upper mounts may  need replacing too. Best is to dismantle and check. Check the height of the springs too you could compare L & R side by side which gives you a general idea.

Sometimes, cars which have been repaired after severe crashes indicate these kind of issues (misaligned chassis). Since there is a notable difference between the left and right wheels in height, most probably its related to suspension components.