• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vitz 2016 sudden "hiccup"

Ratadel

Question

Hello all, a noob here.

I recently bought a 2016 vitz (1KR-VE engine). Sometimes, (actually almost all the time) when I slowdown and then step on the accelerator again, the car suddenly has a "hiccup". I really don't know how to explain it, but its very similar to the sudden "pull"/"push" you get when you change gears on a manual car at the wrong speed. I mean, like changing to the second gear when you are travelling at 50kmph for example. It feels kinda like a "hiccup" :D

Is this normal? I have never used a car which has a CVT gear box, nor one which has a 3 cylinder engine :mellow:

Really appreciate it if anyone could advice me on this.

15 answers to this question

50 minutes ago, Ratadel said:

Hello all, a noob here.

I recently bought a 2016 vitz (1KR-VE engine). Sometimes, (actually almost all the time) when I slowdown and then step on the accelerator again, the car suddenly has a "hiccup". I really don't know how to explain it, but its very similar to the sudden "pull"/"push" you get when you change gears on a manual car at the wrong speed. I mean, like changing to the second gear when you are travelling at 50kmph for example. It feels kinda like a "hiccup" :D

Is this normal? I have never used a car which has a CVT gear box, nor one which has a 3 cylinder engine :mellow:

Really appreciate it if anyone could advice me on this.

Most likely being a 2016 vitz the mileage is fake, anyhow 

Clean throttle body egr  maf sensors, 

Change cvt fluid as well, 

Worst case scenario get a Toyota inspection done, 

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies guys. I bought it(unregistered) from a car sale and it came with a 2 year warranty (similar to the sterling/kobe warranty). And I serviced it very recently. I thought the "hiccup" will be gone after servicing but it's still there :mellow:

1 hour ago, Ratadel said:

Thank you for the replies guys. I bought it(unregistered) from a car sale and it came with a 2 year warranty (similar to the sterling/kobe warranty). And I serviced it very recently. I thought the "hiccup" will be gone after servicing but it's still there :mellow:

Better to contact Car sale if it has 2 year warranty. 

BTW,

1. What is the millage?

2. And do you feel same scenario during quick acceleration and gradual acceleration? I mean, check whether the "hiccup" is dependent on acceleration pattern or not.  

3. What is your previous car?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gayanath said:

Better to contact Car sale if it has 2 year warranty. 

BTW,

1. What is the millage?

2. And do you feel same scenario during quick acceleration and gradual acceleration? I mean, check whether the "hiccup" is dependent on acceleration pattern or not.  

3. What is your previous car?

1. 34000

2. No. Only when I slowdown and accelerate again. For example, let's say that I'm travelling at 70kmph. Then I apply the brakes and slowdown to about 15kmph. After that when I step on the accelerate again, most of the time this happens. It does not depend on the acceleration pattern. But I will check that again and post here if I notice that it in fact depends on the acceleration pattern.

3. I used to drive a very old corolla :D An AE91! Technically, it was my father's. This vitz is my first car actually!

I read on autolanka that 92 octane is ok for a 2016 vitz(1KR-VE engine ). But the car sale guys asked me to use 95 octane. And the user manual (which was posted by "trish_auto" in the following thread; http://autolanka.com/forums/topic/19773-toyota-vitz-ksp-1302017-user-manual-and-service-manual/) states the same (to use 95 octane).

I wonder if this "hiccup" has anything to do with the octane number. I use 95 as I'm worried that the warranty would get void if I use 92 :mellow:

3 minutes ago, Ratadel said:

1. 34000

Engine and GB failures are rare on Vitz in this millage other than a manufacturing fault. Even if the millage tampered, probably the actual may not exceed 100,000 km most of the time with this vehicle age. So, the chance of a failure is comparatively less. 

3. I used to drive a very old corolla :D An AE91! Technically, it was my father's. This vitz is my first car actually!

Then ...............  your accelerating habit could be the most probable reason. Suggest to drive another vitz (Your car sale will help you) and same time get it checked by a experienced (I mean vitz) driver before dismantle anything.  

I wonder if this "hiccup" has anything to do with the octane number.

Nothing to worry. Its highly unlikely. Use 92 and check if necessary

I use 95 as I'm worried that the warranty would get void if I use 92 :mellow:

Pump 92 and tell them you are using 95. ??      No way to check it simply. 

Don't wast your money. 

• Like 2

Reminds me of my allion 260 2011.It does the same till to date.Toyota lanka says no issue.For some reason the hickup/pause feeling is more pronounced in some cars of the same model.I drove a 2007 allion and it didn't had that issue so pronounced,but drove a 2008 one and it was somewhat simmilar to mine.The only cure i found is to press the accelrator more than usual when reaccelrating after a slow down.(more than 1/3 of the pedal)I wonder whether the tires plays a role here.Back then when i bought the car it had hard nankang tires for front.But since i changes it to a softer dunlop i feel like the issue is more pronunced,so as i only felt there is a issue after changing the tires.May be a placebo effect.Still no real cure to the date.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GayanR said:

Reminds me of my allion 260 2011.It does the same till to date.Toyota lanka says no issue.For some reason the hickup/pause feeling is more pronounced in some cars of the same model.I drove a 2007 allion and it didn't had that issue so pronounced,but drove a 2008 one and it was somewhat simmilar to mine.The only cure i found is to press the accelrator more than usual when reaccelrating after a slow down.(more than 1/3 of the pedal)I wonder whether the tires plays a role here.Back then when i bought the car it had hard nankang tires for front.But since i changes it to a softer dunlop i feel like the issue is more pronunced,so as i only felt there is a issue after changing the tires.May be a placebo effect.Still no real cure to the date.

I'm having an Allion 2011 and never experienced this. But I had a similar experience with my 2007 Vitz 1300cc but it only happens when you slow down and accelerate while climbing a hill.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hrm said:

I'm having an Allion 2011 and never experienced this. But I had a similar experience with my 2007 Vitz 1300cc but it only happens when you slow down and accelerate while climbing a hill.

Yes,That's what i meant.Some same year cars doesn't have that issue.No matter how good the service history some have that issue very prononuced.I guess it's same for the vitz,some are totally smooth.

Edited by GayanR
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kadsa98 said:

It's a common thing for toyota cvt gearboxes. Don't worry about it. My 2012 allion i had did the same (Imported brand new 0 mileage)

It's very annoying to drive in city traffic.There's a pause and the car jumps forward and the moment car leeps forward the speed is too much than you wanted ,again you have to break soon.Feels like a noob manual driver.I drove a same allion without any issue.So it's not my driving style either.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys. It's a relief to know that it's normal. Actually what I noticed today was that, the smoother the acceleration, lesser the problem. In fact, if I step on the accelerator reaaaallly slooowly, it doesn't happen at all. But I agree, it's annoying when it happens. 

On 8/14/2019 at 11:40 AM, Ratadel said:

I read on autolanka that 92 octane is ok for a 2016 vitz(1KR-VE engine ). But the car sale guys asked me to use 95 octane. And the user manual (which was posted by "trish_auto" in the following thread; http://autolanka.com/forums/topic/19773-toyota-vitz-ksp-1302017-user-manual-and-service-manual/) states the same (to use 95 octane).

I wonder if this "hiccup" has anything to do with the octane number. I use 95 as I'm worried that the warranty would get void if I use 92 :mellow:

The manual is for a Yaris....the specs are slightly different although the engine, etc... is the same. Your JAPANESE market Vitz manual would say "Regular"Gasoline. In Japan Regular gasoline is anything from 92 - 95 octane depending on the manufacturer

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, iRage said:

The manual is for a Yaris....the specs are slightly difference although the engine etc is the same. You JAPANESE market Vitz manual would say "Regular"Gasoline. In Japan Regular gasoline is anything from 92 - 95 octane depending on the manufacturer

I checked the Japanese manual and you are correct. It says "regular gasoline"