• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best sensible car for 3 million?

urheard2008

Question

Hi all. I need your recommendations of any car that fits these criteria, ordered by priority: (Budget 3-3.5 Million)

Reliability. (I plan to own the car for 5 years and then sell. I would like to loose as little money as possible through this process)

Safety. I want to come out with good prospects in a fatal crash, so airbags, etc... This is why I tend to shy away from Indian offerings but I'm not sure if I can get a safe Indian car in my budget. 

That's pretty much it. I want to be safe and have a decent true cost of ownership. 

I would like your advice on something like a 5 year old Toyota aqua vs a 15 year old Toyota allion, vs an Indian made car, vs what you would personally go for.

If I can afford the influence of preference, I would like a larger sedan. But I really don't mind. I don't have a family, and just want something that makes the most sense for my money. 

Thanks so much. 

10 answers to this question

Finding good examples of a car like Allion or Premio is extremely hard these days as most of them have been beaten to death. Sometimes there might be better ones popping up for sale. But you have to be patient since you are looking for a nearly 15-17 years old car. Usually cars in this price range are less likely to be changed by a huge margin, so you might gain or loose depending on the market. Buying a hybrid like an Aqua is pretty useless if you do less than 1000km per month as the battery will degrade sooner. Mind that most of the Aqua batteries might be in their last breaths so you might have to keep some additional money for replacements. Fit is also a good choice, but again it’s also a hybrid, but IMO better to drive and looks better than the Aqua. Another fact is that hybrids’ values depreciate much faster than normal cars.

I would never pay over 3million for an indian car. There are good cars like Mazda Axela, Honda Civic FD4 and Mitsubishi Lancer EX, which are better looking and better to drive than Toyotas. Most of them are owned by people who enjoy driving, so you’ll have a good chance of finding a nice one. As a drawback you might not be able to sell them easily.

Best thing is to drive each one of these models and select the best model which suits you.

Make sure to mention what are your major requirements other than the resale value as it would be easy for members to recommend accordingly.

• Like 1

I've been recommending this car for people who don't mind a Chinese ride and a 10 - 12kmpl average fuel economy - Geely Emgrand.

Seriously the most value for money car I've seen which doesn't look like crap after the first 4-5 years of use like most Chinese vehicles. The driving experience is awesome for that kind of money.

Civics and Lancers are great choices too but even the newest ones for this budget would be 10 years old while you can easily find a first owner 2015-2016 Emgrand for less than 3 mil (It was 3.1mil brand-new back in 2015). You can save the rest for years worth of fuel and maintenance.

yb4O4z7.jpg

O2hngJM.jpg

svHhmxp.jpg

IXuN3Wk.jpg

oWE96y6.jpg

Edited by Hyaenidae

On 8/12/2019 at 4:54 PM, urheard2008 said:

I would like your advice on something like a 5 year old Toyota aqua vs a 15 year old Toyota allion, vs an Indian made car, vs what you would personally go for.

well - if you want something brand new - you can go for a Perodua Bezza - I traveled in one recently it's quite decently well put together. 

Another option is a Toyota Yaris - due to the new permit cycle govt employees who bought these around 2009 are selling and they're actually going for quite a reasonable price (3Mill or below) most  of these cars are first owner - brand new imports, agent maintained and with verifiable history  and are in really good condition (specially given they are 10 years old) due to the simple mechanical aspect of these and the mass popularity they tend to depreciate slowly. If you're OK with a Manual then you can get a really good bargain. 

Edited by matroska

10 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

I've been recommending this car for people who don't mind a Chinese ride and a 10 - 12kmpl average fuel economy - Geely Emgrand.

Seriously the most value for money car I've seen which doesn't look like crap after the first 4-5 years of use like most Chinese vehicles. The driving experience is awesome for that kind of money.

Civics and Lancers are great choices too but even the newest ones for this budget would be 10 years old while you can easily find a first owner 2015-2016 Emgrand for less than 3 mil (It was 3.1mil brand-new back in 2015). You can save the rest for years worth of fuel and maintenance.

The Emgrand EC7,which later became Geely Emgrand, has a Mitsubishi engine. Depending on the capacity it would come with a 4G13, 4G15 or 4G18 engine. I would presume the transmission was also straight from whatever Mitsubishi used. If I am not mistaken it is also one of the first Chinese branded cars to actually score well in the Euro-NCAP tests (4 or 4.5 ?)

• Like 1

The Emgrand EC7,which later became Geely Emgrand, has a Mitsubishi engine. Depending on the capacity it would come with a 4G13, 4G15 or 4G18 engine. I would presume the transmission was also straight from whatever Mitsubishi used. If I am not mistaken it is also one of the first Chinese branded cars to actually score well in the Euro-NCAP tests (4 or 4.5 ?)
Are you sure? It comes with a 1.8l engine, even the 4G18 is 1.6l AFAIK

What about a 2007/2008 Toyota Vitz with 8 airbags? Can get a good one for under 2.8 million. It's a no frills, decent, economical car that won't bite and it has good resale value. Our old one never gave any trouble & was just a good little car that never misbehaved and can get you from A to B with trust :)

18 hours ago, Jason Bourne said:
22 hours ago, iRage said:

Are you sure? It comes with a 1.8l engine, even the 4G18 is 1.6l AFAIK

Yes...they do come with the Mitsubishi engines

On 8/19/2019 at 3:43 PM, iRage said:

Had Micro imported this with a 4G15 engine this would've been a hit in Sri Lanka... people run away screaming as soon as they hear "1800CC"

Edited by Hyaenidae

Reliability of old cars are mostly depend on the previous usage and maintenance.

If you are ok with 10 years old sedans. I would see following 3 options for a guy

• Mazda 3 or Axela
  • Lancer EX
  • Civic FD1/FD4

If you really really want a Toyota badge, go for a Corolla 141.

If i was asked to choose a car for 3 million, it will be always old e46 ;)

• Thanks 1