• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

prius or axio

L.K

Question

9 answers to this question

Please do search the forum for benefits of buying a used Hybrid vehicle versus and old gasoline vehicle. 

Only you can answer the question on what is worth for you because you are the one who has to doetermine:

- How much you will be using the car for (Hybrids are okay if you use it a lot)

- Whether you are willing to invest in replacing batteries etc...(a 5 year old Hybrid will not have batteries that are 100% potent and will require you changing them during your ownership period)

On 8/12/2019 at 4:04 AM, iRage said:

Please do search the forum for benefits of buying a used Hybrid vehicle versus and old gasoline vehicle. 

- Whether you are willing to invest in replacing batteries etc...(a 5 year old Hybrid will not have batteries that are 100% potent and will require you changing them during your ownership period)

Anyone know of any head gasket problem with Prius?

Long story short, over the weekend while our friends having car talks one claimed that his friends cousin works at Toyota Lanka tells that Prius have a common issue with head gasket. Did some search and couldn't find that as a common issue / as a fault in Prius. Appreciate if anyone has any info on this. I see many topics about Prius battery but not on this issue.

Not sure about that but in my 2008 Prius the Inverter coolant pump fails once in 50000 km which is around June every 2 years ( The 3rd Gen Inverter pump is more sturdy and lasts longer). ABS Pump fails close to 125000 Km( I'm on my 2nd one which I feel is on its last legs at 235k km) Then oil consumption sky rockets after 150000 km - the issue is common to the 3rd gen also which eventually can cause the CAT to clog up. The original HV battery also shows evidence of degredation @ 235 k km as pure EV does not engage for long and acceleration is dismal in pure EV mode (3rd Gen battery is supposed to fail around 150k km in Sri Lanka). Wheel bearings shocks and the list goes on. Despite all these it's a wonderful car. Priuschat is the online knowledge base you might want to go through before making the leap of faith.

Edited by mcs627
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Better to stick with a non-hybrid if you plan to do less than 1000kms per month. According to what I've heard, the 2nd Generation Prius is believed to be much more robust than the 3rd gen in the battery department. If you have the need of a hybrid better to go for a battery replaced one or set aside some cash to do the replacement.

@mcs627 What about suspension component replacements earlier? Did you replaced the shock absorbers? If replaced, what is the brand: KYB or Genuine Toyota? How long did they last?

The most important question is how many miles will you be running a month? And i'm also curios to know why you havent included the Axio Hybrid as an option but included the Prius?

Edited by ramishkad

12 hours ago, alpha17 said:

@mcs627 What about suspension component replacements earlier? Did you replaced the shock absorbers? If replaced, what is the brand: KYB or Genuine Toyota? How long did they last?

Complete suspension overhaul @ 150 K km with KYB & 555 + genuine Toyota engine/trans mounts still OK @ 235 k km. Steering rack replaced with recon @ 150k and locally repaired at 228 K. Engine overhaul impending 

Edited by mcs627

9 hours ago, mcs627 said:

Complete suspension overhaul @ 150 K km with KYB & 555 + genuine Toyota engine/trans mounts still OK @ 235 k km. Steering rack replaced with recon @ 150k and locally repaired at 228 K. Engine overhaul impending 

Thanks for the info mate. When you moved from original shocks absorbers to KYB, did you notice any difference in ride quality?

Edited by alpha17

11 hours ago, alpha17 said:

Thanks for the info mate. When you moved from original shocks absorbers to KYB, did you notice any difference in ride quality?

Yes the originals in their worst state were far better and softer than the KYB replacements even though the mechanic insisted Toyota uses OEM KYB . However the originals were badly worn to the extent I lost about 1 inch of ground clearance and could not clear small humps that I could manage comfortably earlier which necessitated the change @ 150 K kms

Edited by mcs627

7 hours ago, mcs627 said:

Yes the originals in their worst state were far better and softer than the KYB replacements even though the mechanic insisted Toyota uses OEM KYB . However the originals were badly worn to the extent I lost about 1 inch of ground clearance and could not clear small humps that I could manage comfortably earlier which necessitated the change @ 150 K kms

Your mechanic is right. Toyota does use KYB for their shocks. What happens is the local KYB agent does not seem to have the exact corresponding part but an adaptable/compatible part.