• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota vitz 2018 - High speed radiator fan

srinathkani

Question

I purchased a new toyota Vitz 2018 recently. Even i have not go for the 1st service so far. Very few kms(around 700km)only done. The problem is, i feel the radiator fan speed is too high and very noisy. But the relay is working good. Only the issue is , i feel the speed of the fan is too high when it works. How can i check this ? please give me any ideas. 

Edited by srinathkani

7 answers to this question

Just goto a road side car sale and check whether you hear the same sound with other vitz cars.I test drove one and honestly thought there must be a hole in the cabin,sound insulation is really bad.

Edited by GayanR
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, srinathkani said:

I purchased a new toyota Vitz 2018 recently. Even i have not go for the 1st service so far. Very few kms(around 700km)only done. The problem is, i feel the radiator fan speed is too high and very noisy. But the relay is working good. Only the issue is , i feel the speed of the fan is too high when it works. How can i check this ? please give me any ideas. 

Members @tiv and @amsandun  own Vitzes, If you can record a video and upload to YT how the radiator fan works they might be able to say if there is anything amiss.

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Like 1

"Just goto a road side car sale and check whether you hear the same sound with other vitz cars.I test drove one and honestly thought there must be a hole in the cabin,sound insulation is really bad."

yah, easy  idea.. i planned to try, but still not meet a suitable one so far. 

Edited by srinathkani
nothing

8 hours ago, srinathkani said:

A failed fan temp sensor will make the fan run at max speed,..

Does the fan work at max speed when the engine is cold (i.e in the morning) and AC switched off? 

The cooling fan works at max speed when AC is switched on irrespective of the engine temperature. The fan works in harmony with the AC compressor, turning on and off alternatively. If that's the behaviour you're experiencing, then it's normal. 

As for the noise, have you checked if one or more of the plastic fan blades have a crack or chip on them? Fans can make excessively loud noises when they're out of balance. The other thing might be a missing engine cover or bonnet insulation. On a new car, I hardly think any of this could be the issue. So as others have said, compare it against a similar car. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, srinathkani said:

There are 2 speeds in which the fan runs, usually off or low speed during normal running

The high loud setting comes up when ac is on or after climbing a very steep hill, example after max load for 10 20 mins

4 hours ago, srinathkani said:

4 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Members @tiv and @amsandun  own Vitzes, If you can record a video and upload to YT how the radiator fan works they might be able to say if there is anything amiss.

Thanks @Hyaenidae for tagging me on this. Agree with @Davy and @tiv. I feel the fan work in on and off manner when the AC is on and the level of AC doesn't matter. When it works, yes you may hear it like a loud noise. Being a 3-pot and the amount of work it has to do,especially with AC on, I think it's pretty normal. Never occurred it as unusual to me.

Without the AC, I almost never heard the fan. When it does I don't feel any excessive speed or noise. 

As suggested by others, upload a video clip or do a comparison with another vitz. it doesn't have to be a 2018 vitz, 2015-2018 are all same engine and mechanics I guess.