• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Quality of Sri Lankan Service Centers?

Klord

On 1/19/2020 at 3:16 PM, Dhaham said:

I take my car to L*l Alawa*ta Associates for servicing. They don't wash the vehicle. Their job seems to be much better than most of the service stations. All oil changes, filter changes, brake cleaning and adjustments etc done by mechanics under the supervision of Mr.L*l Alawa*ta. Another important thing is that they don't try to sell things unnecessarily. For example all other service stations change the oil filter every 5000 kilometres. But in this place they change oil filter once in 10000 kilometres which is similar to local agents do.

It's not that straight forward

Your duty cycle and oil type will have a bearing on your service interval 

That extended run may cost you in the long run if those factors above aren't congruent 

• 8 months later...

Things to be aware at service stations in SL.

Always make sure they never use Kerosine “Boo-mi thel” as CV rubber boots, rubber mounts and bushings will perish soon and not to forget gasket packing’s and oil seals start failing too. So stay away from kerosene oil. Due to this matter I bought an undercarriage cleaning detergent that came in a 12l canister, surprisingly was not that expensive. It’s a concentrated cleaning detergent that is non-corrosive and rubber friendly. I take this can with me when I get my vehicles serviced and all they got to do is mix water and spray away.  

Observe if the service person is wearing metal rings and jewellery on his fingers. At a service station next to Rajagiriya HSBC (Sun-G*wa motors) the guy scratched my windscreen when wiping with his fancy silver rings.  

When changing oil and fuel filters never let them use the unknown low quality stuff. These service stations buy low quality filters and keep a big margin to get big profit. Always take your own good quality oil and fuel filters that you buy from a genuine place I normally go for Saku-de-raa* or We-I-see.

The same advise goes for the engine oil, I always keep a 1l bottle of gear oil in case a top up is necessary for the gearbox and differential during the service. Sometimes workers pilfer the oil provided by the service station and they replace with kerosene as not to get caught. so it’s better to provide your own lubricants.

Don't stay at the waiting room as a customer you have the right to see whats happening to your vehicle. Follow the necessary safety measures don't stand under the big hydraulic jack don't have little kids running around and always wear a mask not only as a Covid-19 precaution but the chemicals sprayed may cause you harm.  

Hope this helps.

lanka modaya.jpg

Edited by Splat
addition

A very interesting topic -

Sadly most agents do not let the customer go in to the service area which I believe is something that's not in line. You can always get a CX to sign a disclaimer on accidents if needed .

I too had a very bad experience with Hyundai Lanka  and another member "Gummybr" was kind enough to pitch in and attend to my divergences but sadly the call I received from TOP brass person was not at all comforting and the response  I got was not what I would have expected.  

In any instance, one has to take an appointment with an agent for a service, hence I feel they need to take adequate time to do a proper job and not say that they have a high volume of vehicles to attend to hence they only do the basic checks such as oil, bushes etc....

"When you ask if they do a wax and you say you don't mind paying for it , but service agent says they do it . When you get the vehicle you know that they have not applied any-sort of wax (Not event then cheapest stuff ) is a big let down; among  others issues.

As LashNeo said doing it yourself it the best and was my practice too but sadly over the years, I've got older, kids and family have now come in the way in terms if time and hence resorting to so called service center --- I do occasionally do the washing bit myself though.

Best is to find a decent place and get to know the boys who do it and guide them - It worked out well for me  with one of them who is my regular place and they do a decent job.

• Like 1