• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Which is a good vehicle for a 5-6.5 mil budget?

TDS

Hi all,

I've been reading the posts on this forum for a quite while now and your support for people like ourselves who do not have much experience in this field is really amazing!.

I'm planning to buy my first vehicle soon and i thought of getting your views on what is a good vehicle for my requirements.

My budget will be around 5 mil-6.5 mill. 

I really like to go for a new/reconditioned vehicle instead of a used one for the only reason that i will be able to drive it without much hassle in the first few years. 

I also prefer a hatchback or a crossover to a sedan. 

I often have to travel a lot, within the city and long distances, including Kandy and Kurunagala on a weekly basis therefore economy is also important. 

Given the roads I have to drive i may need a good ground clearance. 

The vehicles I was looking at include Toyota CHR (but fails on fuel economy and ground clearance) Honda Vezel (exceeds the budget little bit) Toyota Vitz hybrid (is it worth the price?) Suzuki Swift Hybrid (fails on safety as per some reviews?) 

I prefer to go with a reputed brand like Toyota or Honda but my options seem to be limited. 

Do you guys have any suggestions what i should land on as my first vehicle?

Thanks again you all are amazing!

Edited by TDS

I also went through a similar process not so long ago. My budget was 6 mil and was looking for a brand new or reconditioned (import) car as I don’t trust the second hand car market in Sri Lanka.

The problem is due to recent tariff changes, it is very difficult to bring down a vehicle from Japan or Europe. My initial thought of bringing down a reconditioned Fit GP5 which was supposed to be around 4.5 mil mark ended up in 6.5 mil. ?

The tariff changes effect the higher engine capacity vehicles more. So GP5 went out of the window with other similar cars like Aqua. The only contemporary car remaining was Swift RS as it had a smaller engine. But I found the car to be too small for my liking, and as you noted, it is not as good as other hatches in terms or safety according to reviews. The Swift also said to have stiff suspension system which gives better driving experience in Highways but not so much for comfort in bumpy Sri Lanka roads.

So I extended my budget a bit and bought a Civic hatch last week. Too early to comment about it but looks like ground clearance will be an issue according to forum members which is one of your prime requirements. ?

Also I think not only the Vezel, but CHR too is out of your budget range. They are priced 6.5 M+ as per online advertisements.

Unfortunately this price bracket seem to be a dead end for new/ reconditioned cars unless you have a permit. I am not a car expert, just sharing my two cents. Happy hunting. ?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Klord said:

So I extended my budget a bit and bought a Civic hatch last week. Too early to comment about it but looks like ground clearance will be an issue according to forum members which is one of your prime requirements. ?

Thanks for the tip bro yes Civic Hatch also seems to be a good option...  Mind sharing the price and how the economy is as you feel? 

5 hours ago, TDS said:

The vehicles I was looking at include Toyota CHR (but fails on fuel economy and ground clearance) Honda Vezel (exceeds the budget little bit) Toyota Vitz hybrid (is it worth the price?) Suzuki Swift Hybrid (fails on safety as per some reviews?) 

I prefer to go with a reputed brand like Toyota or Honda but my options seem to be limited. 

CHR is a bit above your budget isn't it? Same for the Vezel... The vitz is not worth the price. 

If ground clearance is a must why don't you consider a Suzuki Sx4 Scross or a Vitara - both 1.0 L Turbo versions. 

They aren't too many here just yet but Suzuki have a good reliability record 

https://www.am-online.com/news/manufacturer/2018/09/06/suzuki-tops-what-car-reliability-survey-2018

5 hours ago, TDS said:

long distances, including Kandy and Kurunagala on a weekly basis therefore economy is also important. 

actually any car does very well on fuel when you travel long distance ? 

6 hours ago, TDS said:

Thanks for the tip bro yes Civic Hatch also seems to be a good option...  Mind sharing the price and how the economy is as you feel? 

@matroska here is my source of information for Civics. :) 

You can find a blog entry under his name about Civic hatches. It will give you an overall view of the car.

No idea about the fuel economy of new Civic. But am sure it will not perform as other smaller hatchbacks in Sri Lankan market. Specially comparing to cars like Vitz or Fit. 

But as @matroska said, most cars perform well in fuel economy in long distance driving. :)

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 6:30 PM, TDS said:

Hi all,

I've been reading the posts on this forum for a quite while now and your support for people like ourselves who do not have much experience in this field is really amazing!.

I'm planning to buy my first vehicle soon and i thought of getting your views on what is a good vehicle for my requirements.

My budget will be around 5 mil-6.5 mill. 

I really like to go for a new/reconditioned vehicle instead of a used one for the only reason that i will be able to drive it without much hassle in the first few years. 

I also prefer a hatchback or a crossover to a sedan. 

I often have to travel a lot, within the city and long distances, including Kandy and Kurunagala on a weekly basis therefore economy is also important. 

Do you guys have any suggestions what i should land on as my first vehicle?

Thanks again you all are amazing!

On 8/5/2019 at 8:50 PM, Klord said:

I also went through a similar process not so long ago. My budget was 6 mil and was looking for a brand new or reconditioned (import) car as I don’t trust the second hand car market in Sri Lanka.

The problem is due to recent tariff changes, it is very difficult to bring down a vehicle from Japan or Europe. My initial thought of bringing down a reconditioned Fit GP5 which was supposed to be around 4.5 mil mark ended up in 6.5 mil. ?

The tariff changes effect the higher engine capacity vehicles more. So GP5 went out of the window with other similar cars like Aqua. The only contemporary car remaining was Swift RS as it had a smaller engine. But I found the car to be too small for my liking, and as you noted, it is not as good as other hatches in terms or safety according to reviews. The Swift also said to have stiff suspension system which gives better driving experience in Highways but not so much for comfort in bumpy Sri Lanka roads.

Also I think not only the Vezel, but CHR too is out of your budget range. They are priced 6.5 M+ as per online advertisements.

Unfortunately this price bracket seem to be a dead end for new/ reconditioned cars unless you have a permit. I am not a car expert, just sharing my two cents. Happy hunting. ?

The new Swift has a 5 star ANCAP rating(so does the previous model). Where did you find the information that it fails on safety?

1 hour ago, Magnum said:

The new Swift has a 5 star ANCAP rating(so does the previous model). Where did you find the information that it fails on safety?

I think they are referring to the old Maruti Suzuki built Swift for the Indian market; the base Inidian market variant (which I believe was also the most popular)  did not have most of the safety features like ABS and Airbags which were standard in the Japanese built variant and variants built for European markets. The issue is even though the cabin stayed in tact the occupants got severely injured as their were no airbags and such to protect the occupants (usually vehicles are designed to use both features such as this and the frame jointly to protect the occupants...without one the other is not the most effective). But this was with the previous model and only the Maruti Suzuki ones...it has been rectified with the new model (even before that actually...if I am not mistaken Suzuki started offering airbags as standard on the entire line up of Swift after this saga..I might be wrong on this)

New safety ratings give marks to active safety features like auto brake, pedestrian detection, if not available will get low ratings

However they are good on protecting the occupants in an accident, you will have to go through the full report and make a conclusion.

On 8/11/2019 at 3:34 AM, Magnum said:

Euro NCAP.