• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Break-In oil ?

Klord

So I bought a new Civic hatch (2018) last week with just little over 100 Kms in the odometer. When I was driving it to home, I noticed that service reminder (wrench icon) is displayed in the dashboard. The console indicates that service is due by -86 dates now (this civic calculates service period by dates, not kms :( ). The dealer said it is normal to appear as the the car was idling in the sale since last September without proper driving. He recommended me to do a service done which he will pay for.

I dont mind taking it to a quick service at Staf#### and do a regular maintenance to get the service reminder reset. But Im worried that it will replace the factory oil which helps the engine in the break in period. 

What should I do here?

P.S.
Do we have any "Break-In oils" available in the market to replace the factory oil? 

Edited by Klord

There is no special break in oil as far as i know. Years back they use to change the oil in 1000 km or so, not anymore. 1st oil change usually is 5-6k km or 6 months, your service indicator must be indicating this. You still have 86 days your engine is not going to soon after. Stop worrying to much and enjoy the car.

If your vendor is offering the cost get it done as there is no harm, as the offer will not be there in 86 days when you really have to do the service.

@kush nope brother, its - 86 dates. Sorry my english is not very good, I might have mislead you there. Anyway that means recommended maintenance date is passed - 86 dates now. It was 83 when I bought the car. 
I checked the engine oil using the dip stick and it was in pristine condition (appearance wise). No debris whatsoever and the color was gold-transparent looking to the level that it was difficult to even identify the oil level in the stick.  

My thought is since the car was sitting duck in the sale for many months with random engine startup when buyers inspecting + mild check drive running, the service reminder might have miscalculated the time period. (Not to mention the outside hot humid temperature).

Anyhow, according to Honda experts, the factory oil should be used in the engine for first few thousands Kms to help in break in period. I think the factory oil is a petroleum based oil which contains Zinc and Sulfurr additives to help the break in process.  

Edited by Klord

26 minutes ago, Klord said:

The dealer said it is normal to appear as the the car was idling in the sale since last September without proper driving. He recommended me to do a service done which he will pay for.

"Since last September" means almost one year. Therefore, definitely you should replace the oil. Please replace the oil (and filter also) with manufacture recommended oil grade (hope it's 0W20). 

26 minutes ago, Klord said:

P.S.
Do we have any "Break-In oils" available in the market to replace the factory oil? 

No such requirement.