• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

kr52 vs cr42

toosea

Question

Hi All,

Can anyone help me with the following?

I am looking at a Toyota kr52 auto gear to buy (NOT kr42).

This is the vehicle I believe..
https://carfromjapan.com/cheap-used-toyota-townace-van-2006-for-sale-5bbb28d032d6ae1f0ff3b92b

1. Is it a difficult vehicle to sell in the second hand market? for example compared to cr42 (diesel)

2. Compared to a cr42 (or comparable diesel.. cr52??) how will it fare on running costs?
cr42 repairs/maintenance would be expensive and frequent? kr52 repairs/maintenance will be very low? 
And would the kr52 low maintenance cover up for the high fuel consumption against repairs/maintenance for cr42
on long time usage?

3. Does the kr52 struggle with pulling power if loaded with 7 or 8 people and luggage?

4. How is the availability of parts?

5 answers to this question

6 hours ago, toosea said:

Hi All,

https://carfromjapan.com/cheap-used-toyota-townace-van-2006-for-sale-5bbb28d032d6ae1f0ff3b92b

1. Is it a difficult vehicle to sell in the second hand market? for example compared to cr42 (diesel)

2. Compared to a cr42 (or comparable diesel.. cr52??) how will it fare on running costs?
cr42 repairs/maintenance would be expensive and frequent? kr52 repairs/maintenance will be very low? 
And would the kr52 low maintenance cover up for the high fuel consumption against repairs/maintenance for cr42
on long time usage?

3. Does the kr52 struggle with pulling power if loaded with 7 or 8 people and luggage?

KR52 Is petrol with 4wd, people here dont like 4wd Van's and the market is very poor 

Being petrol thr market will be the worst, unless its converted to diesel like most

CR 41 and CR42 has the highest demand being 2c and 3c engines 

4wd parts are a bit rare but can be found, these are all common vehicles so parts wont be an issue 

CR41 CR51 came with 2c engines and are extremely underpowered in comparison 

Search the forums  lot of old discussions noted 

8 hours ago, toosea said:

Hi All,

on long time usage?

I have come across CR51 and CR52 but so far I have not seen a single KR52, it is difficult to comment about the second market because generally 4WD vans have lesser second market and if its petrol it would be even less but then again I know some people who specifically wanted a CR51/52 over the CR 41/42

I cannot comment much about the fuel economy, it will most likely be lower than the diesel variant but I dont think the maintenance cost would be cheaper than a CR42 as the 2C and 3C engine are pretty cheap to maintain engines

My uncle had a KR42 which has the same 7K engine, i remember it had a decent pulling power but then again he later converted it to diesel with a 3C intercooler turbo engine and it started taking of like a rocket ship :D

Edited by Magnum

Thanks guys for the inputs! Much appreciated!

Been hunting my self.. and found that kr52 is petrol 4wd.. and fuel efficiency (fe) is insanely low... and my car sale friend said that even if I were to convert it to diesel it would have lower fe than cr42. This seems to be because of added weight from 4wd components.. 

When I said about lower maintenance costs.. I didn't specifically mean about the engine only.. cause I believe that a diesel will have more expensive suspension parts, larger radiators etc. I suppose then the two vehicles to compare would be kr42 and cr42..

(just to add some additional info this is the vehicle I had my eyes on....    https://######.lk/en/ad/toyota-noah-kr52-2007-for-sale-colombo-18  )

The thing about 4wd weight and FE is a typical story, typical car peddlers say. The only added weight in a TownAce 4wd is the transfer case and the front axles which are tiny. They say the samething about Hiace 4wd and cars like the RAV4 as well...the added weight is quite small about 50 - 100kg depending on the car and the difference in fe is only of about 1kmpl. Those who buy an awd van will not mind the drop in fe for the added benefits you get. Those who buy an awd van because it is cheaper (thanks to the bs car sellers conjure up), they will have severe periods of depression. 

If you want an awd van because you want awd then buy one that is decent irrespective of fuel type as long as it meets your usage needs. If you are thinking of buying an awd because it's cheap and then converting to diesel for cheap use...just don't. spend that extra money and buy a stock diesel red van. 

What Sri Lankans do not get is that vehicle ownership it about Total Cost of Ownership. Not just fuel cost. So what you save on fuel almost always gets spent/costed in other areas.

Use the 4WD as a bargaining point, you will  have a better vehicle with good traction and handling during your use. If you are concern about fuel economy go bit easy on the throttle which will compensate. Be mindful you will have the same issue at the time of resale.

In upcountry 4WD vans are preferred due to superior traction. Try getting a 2WD van on a Nuwara Eliya Estate road you will know. So much so when NE guys go to Kandy to buy vans if the seller realize the guy is from NE they jack up 4WD prices (car sale baiya logic).